Start Button Colour

Dudlington

Anyone know how to change the colour of the Start button in WinXP from that nasty green?

aco
Originally posted by GambitADSL

Anyone know how to change the colour of the Start button in WinXP from that nasty green?

I am almost sure that it can not be changed (from what I have read), but I hope someone proves me wrong ;)

It bothered me at first, but now I think it looks quite good with the Metallic/Silver theme. :)

mortensen

I HATE the garish green in the Blue theme. I also don't like the Metallic theme because it just doesn't look quite right. At the moment I am REALLY happy with the green theme which, after getting used to it , is actually really good.

digitallaughter

you can also use the classic theme so it looks windows98 ish

GWiz

i agree that the green looks better than the other two. the blue is to dark and the silver is to light just my preference(until windowblinds comes out of beta). i have tryed windowblinds xp beta and from what i've seen it looks like it will be a cool program for xp

mortensen
WindowBlinds3 for XP should be able to take care of it (www.stardock.net).

I wouldn't use WindowBlinds on XP! WindowBlinds "might" make 9x and 2k machines look better [according to some people] but for XP it just change it from Duplo style to "drawn by a three year old" style.

I'll wait and see the final product but from what I've seen so far it seems AWFUL. The skins are not improved visual styles but merely skins. And from previous experience on older versions it's unstable and has dozens of tiny glitches that really start to bug you.

As long as you don't pay for it then you MIGHT be forgiven for installing it. :D

altezza

Yeah I still don't know how to change the green Start button in WinXP. It looks alright for the first time users but get bored quickly :s

aco
Originally posted by altezza

Yeah I still don't know how to change the green Start button in WinXP. It looks alright for the first time users but get bored quickly :s

Don't think you will be able to figure it out; I am *almost* positively sure that it can't be done...

...yet :)

BraytonAK

I'm having a rough time just getting used to the new Start menu itself, much less the *color* of the button. I have found that the blue color scheme blows chunks. If I wanted to see a blazing blue frame around every window I look at, I would pick that. Or if I wanted some minor monitor burn-in, I would pick Silver.

I'm thankful for the Green. Nice and subtle. And actually more of a trendy Sage green. ;)

Giving the new Start menu one more chance this weekend. Otherwise it's back to ol' faithful.

alexchu2643

Has anyone tried opening Explorer.exe or some other executable/dll to find where the resources to the start button are? Something like ResHack... or whatever. I have a WinXP machine, but it's all the way down on the first floor of my house. I'll look at it tomorrow, but if anyone is willing to "test" it :dead: ... go right ahead. Just post the resource file/number/all that fun stuff.

:evil:

MajorSham

Actually, Microsoft's "Visual Styles" actually are nothing more complicated than skins. The start button, all of the window boarders, buttons, toolbars, etc are all bitmaps. The start button itself is a bitmap. The skins can all be located in the following directories/files.

C:%WINDIR%ResourcesThemesLunaShell

This directory has three subdirectories, all containing a single DLL containing extended shell bitmaps & information.

C:%WINDIR%ResourcesThemesLunaShellluna.msstyles

The main file containing the Luna bitmap information, with all three color schemes inside.

Thats as much as I know, but it is a good starting point. Both the the luna.msstyles file and the DLL files in the "Shell" subdirectory can be opened with a resource editor BTW, as normal DLL files

XPert

First of all, there is a way to change the color of the start button. There are like 30 steps to do. If you want to change the color of it, you have to change the"start" button to another word- such as your name. So where the start button would be, for me it might say "XPert" instead. If you want to do this, go to www.wxperience.com and go to the forums. There is more then one post on it- I think. I suggest waiting for Window Blinds 3 which will be available October 16th for $19.95. It even says that you can change the color of the start button in the white paper/media guide. Take a look at the white paper and the media guide at www.stardock.net, they tell you all about it. It takes a while for the pictures to load- maybe its just cuz I have a 56K modem, but be patient. Also, don't just download the shareware version, you don't get the full capabilities with the program. Spend the $20 bucks. If you buy it now you get a free upgrade to version 3 when it comes out.

Dessimat0r

You can open all the Luna stuff in reshack, even the ones without .dll extentions

...try it :) i found the start menu button in there somewhere

Dudlington

Got it. Using ResHacker open up %WINDIR%ResourcesThemesLunaShellluna.msstyles and expand the Bitmap tree. Then find the XXXX_STARTBUTTON_BMP tree where XXXX is the name of the theme you are using (Blue, Homestead or Metallic). Then just export it if you want to edit it or replace it with something else by Action -> Replace Bitmap.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Dudlington

Never mind, the modified luna.msstyles got replaced immediately back to the original. :devious:

BraytonAK

So.... Turn of System File Protection. :-)

MasterK

Ok I used ResHacker and replaced the bitmap but no matter how careful I am the file size changes slightly.

Then when I replace both the luna.msstyle and the luna.mst in the dllcache folder (it can be done just it must be done very quickly in both places). The system seems to recognize the file is modified becsue it reverts to Windows classic right away.

Anyone with an Idea where that function is controlled?

BraytonAK

I know that X-Teq Setup is able to turn off SFP. If you have that, dig through there and it will be one of those critical system options that makes it prompt you if you're sure you want to edit that control.

Us? Edit SFP? SURE!

Groovehead

i turned off SFP and it still won't take the modified luna theme...

did a real pretty startbutton though....

Dessimat0r

... not for windows xp

Description : This rBnware lets you change the icon, caption and tooltip of your start button. Now support Italian, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Norwegian, Dutch & German version of Windows, no need to reboot to see the changes for caption and tooltip, improved GUI, improved start button color palette reading, improved file searching techniques, more realistic preview, revised help file making it more smaller, the program has to be registered for free, a powerful Find feature has been added for registered version. Fix for WinME.

Size : 84.4 Kb

Platform : Windows 95/98/ME/NT4/2000

Requirements : VB6 runtime modules

Release Date : 07/01/2001

Purchase Information : rBnware