• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Worth selling iBook for PowerBook?

icyorange    0

Hi,

I've had my iBook G4 800 since April and i've upgraded it with an Airport Extreme card, 640mb RAM and an external Lacie DVD burner. I'm thinking of selling all of this (including the burner) and getting a 12" PowerBook G4 1.33 with Superdrive, which I can get for ?1080. The reason for upgrading is wanting more speed and an overall more responsive system.

First of all, how much do you think i'd get for my iBook? It's in pretty good condition, apart from the S, C and N keys have almost no letter left on them - think Apple had a bit of a quality control issue with my batch!

Comparing the two machines, the PowerBook has more cache, 533mhz more CPU speed, higher system bus... would this all make a *significant* difference?

Hope you guys can help me out!:))

Cheers,

Nick

NinjaMonkey82    0

If you do get the Powerbook make sure you add more RAM. My gf just got a 12 inch Powerbook and it can get sluggish when a few programs are open. I'd say 512 is the minimum you should have.

Your best bet is to put your iBook up on eBay with a reserve. The good thing is Macs hold their value very well.

Billthy    3

i just did this, i sold my 12" 800mhz for 1000$ to this guy at work and got myself a 12" powerbook (no super) with a ipod so i got the cram and jam 200$ rebate and my educational discount

icyorange    0

Billthy, did you notice a siginificant speed increase in the Powerbook over the iBook?

Yeah Macs do hold their value quite well, so i'm hoping this upgrade shouldn't end up costing me more than a couple of hundred quid.

Nick

icyorange    0

Well i've taken the plunge... ordered a 12" PowerBook G4 1.33Ghz, 60gb, 256mb, SuperDrive etc etc... next order is 512mb from Crucial. :) Should be here in 3-5 days hopefully.

Now to get my iBook listed on eBay!

Nick

Iain    0

Where did you get a superdrive 12" for 1080?

icyorange    0

There was one on eBay for ?1075 (excluding delivery), which the seller says is new and factory sealed (he says he received 2 instead of 1 from Apple!)... but in the end I went for one direct from Apple for the added piece of mind, ?1117 on NUS discoun:D:D

Nick

Iain    0

Are you actually a student, and did it ask for any student ID?

Gary_Player    0

Yea, they contacted my school and verified that I was a student :blush:

I wonder what they do to you if they find out you arnt :blink:

icyorange    0

I've just finished my first year at uni. I thought they would have contacted me for my NUS card number or something but haven't, and it was shipped today. Maybe this is because I ordered my iBook previously from them on educational discount and proved that I was a student then, although I didn't actually show them anything to do with NUS that time... anyway they must trust me! :)

Can't wait till next week! :D

Nick

tktino    0
There was one on eBay for ?1075 (excluding delivery), which the seller says is new and factory sealed (he says he received 2 instead of 1 from Apple!)... but in the end I went for one direct from Apple for the added piece of mind, ?1117 on NUS discoun:D:D

Nick

Im with this dude