Sympathy for Bill Gates

Okay...I've been an open-sourcer since forever(its kind of a father and son thing). And I am an avid supporter of open-source development. But one thing Ive noticed about the open source community is the fact that they blaim Bill Gates for everything. At one point, Bill Gates was like every other programmer.

He worked day and night on problems and bottlenecks. He wrote quality programs like every other person. My question is should we persecute hime for being on top? I use windows for games. As do many other people.

Windows is popular, thats why so many other people write viruses for the os. Is that Bill Gates's fault. I think not. Is it his fault his idea made him billions. No. Yes he could make the os open source, but that's his choice. Should we really hold that against him?

i don't have anything against Microsoft. People hate the product for what reason? makes them look cool on the internet? i like windows and am always interested to read news about upcoming events and software. When your ontop, your gonna get pulled down by whoever apposes you. Not everyone is liked, and no one is perfect.

So respect Microsoft, and it's not his fault... people are all about money these days, not willing to work for it, so find a bug and blame Microsoft it is causing you harm and you need theropy, and bam, your a millionare. Leave Bill Gates alone, hes just a big nerd! isn't that bad enough?

they write viruses for the os cause its the most popular and would affect more poeple. its not like they hate windows. if they hated windows, i'm sure they wouldnt be able to make the virus

I respect him and even sort of look up to him.

He saw the opportunity and risked everything to obtain his chimera.

Windows is my exclusive OS and will be for a long time coming.

He deserves all the fame and fortune he gets.

Windows is popular, thats why so many other people write viruses for the os. Is that Bill Gates's fault. I think not.

That has never been proven. Windows is easy to exploit because, instead of focusing on security, they focused on ease-of-use. Windows didn't _have_ to make the default user admin; Windows didn't have to integrate everything, so a flaw in one program could effect the whole system; even know, MS doesn't have to lock out more secure browsers from Windows Update. These were choices made by the heads of MS. It was people like Bill Gates that pushed the propreitary model in the early days of the software industry. Without people like him, the industry would have much more advanced technology, all of it would be open source and the software industry wouldn't be dominated by one company.

No one says that we want an open source Windows, just open standards and a flat playing field.

Bill Gates made a lot of money, and still does to this day. He's a brilliant businessman who cashed in on the right market and in turn expanded it and revolutionised the way computing is today, even though he was not the sole proprietor of this, I have great respect for the guy.

In the same way that I wouldn't trust a postman who kept taking a sneaky peek at my mail whenever he thought I wasn't looking, or left my mail outside with a torn envelope, even though he knew that I had confidential information in there, I don't trust a man who heads a company which has been shown to do the same things, repeatedly.

Like or dislike is immaterial to me, I don't know him. But I sure as hell lost any respect or trust for his company some time ago. I don't rate him as a businessman so much as I rate him for his ability to pull the wool over the eyes of the masses over and over, and get away with it.

Do I still use their software? Yup, but it's getting less and less whenever a suitable and viable alternative comes along.

Office = Replaced

IE = Replaced

WMP = Replaced

SQL Server = Replaced

ASP = Replaced

Bear in mind, before you throw your innefective flames in, I am the same person who was instrumental in converting the UK headquarters of an International Organisation from a Lotus House to a Microsoft House (though I couldn't get them to drop Notes completely!) only a few years ago. It's MS's own actions that have turned me away, and I know I'm not the only one. Common sense alone tells you that ultimately, a price has to be paid.

If I were left to make the same decisions today as I was back then, Microsoft wouldn't get a look-in.

Windows is easy to exploit because, instead of focusing on security, they focused on ease-of-use. Windows didn't _have_ to make the default user admin; Windows didn't have to integrate everything

And why did they do this? You know why? Frighteningly, they listened to their customers. That is what the customers wanted.

That's why they integrated the windows update process, why they integrated other features. Because, unlike too many people invovled in Linux, they talked to real people in the real world who don't want to know complex bash shell command.

Also, its frankly complete rubbish to suggest that there would be more advanced technology had their been an early adherence to open standards. Its only been recently that standards bodies have worked in any valid way. Need I remind you of the uber-mess that was OMG and CORBA, for instance?

Wake up to the real world and not your slashdot-revisionist history, eh code_monkey? (appropriate name...)

I use both windows and unix myself, and I have nothing against microsoft. And when people blaim bill gates or microsoft itself for things, I believe it's just because people need to blaim SOMEBODY.

I admire Bill for what he has done, he has gotten far, but sadly because he got there first he is suddenly the bad guy for some people which in my opinion is unfair.

But in the very end I think it's all about people are being jealous - just take a look at Michael Robertson or whatever his name is. The guy from Lindows/Linspire. All he does in his articles is blame Microsoft and Bill. Why not just focus on your own business, and leave them alone if you hate them so much? Today you have the choice of choosing wether you want to use Windows or Unix/Linux. So don't start flaming Microsoft, because if you don't like them - use something else, you aren't forced to use their products.

In the same way that I wouldn't trust a postman who kept taking a sneaky peek at my mail whenever he thought I wasn't looking, or left my mail outside with a torn envelope, even though he knew that I had confidential information in there, I don't trust a man who heads a company which has been shown to do the same things, repeatedly.

Like or dislike is immaterial to me, I don't know him. But I sure as hell lost any respect or trust for his company some time ago. I don't rate him as a businessman so much as I rate him for his ability to pull the wool over the eyes of the masses over and over, and get away with it.

Do I still use their software? Yup, but it's getting less and less whenever a suitable and viable alternative comes along.

Office = Replaced

IE = Replaced

WMP = Replaced

SQL Server = Replaced

ASP = Replaced

Bear in mind, before you throw your innefective flames in, I am the same person who was instrumental in converting the UK headquarters of an International Organisation from a Lotus House to a Microsoft House (though I couldn't get them to drop Notes completely!) only a few years ago. It's MS's own actions that have turned me away, and I know I'm not the only one. Common sense alone tells you that ultimately, a price has to be paid.

If I were left to make the same decisions today as I was back then, Microsoft wouldn't get a look-in.

Heh...I do something very similar and you know what...I have to say that 8 out of 10 businesses that I work with actually wanted the MS software and so far, it works quite well. I could really care less if it were MS or Linux as I support both, but in terms of appeal, Microsoft is not falling behind.

Office = Replaced

IE = Replaced

WMP = Replaced

SQL Server = Replaced

ASP = Replaced

I feel the same exact way. I don't like a lot of the decisions that MS has made, although it doesn't make me dislike Gates himself.

I have no sympathy for Bill Gates, but I like his money.

That fuker has too much money to need sympathy fuk i wouldnt give a **** bout it

He?s an opportunist and he saw the future and made it happen, something no one else could do at the time.

Short, sweet and to the point. Well said, Mav. I couldn't agree more:yes:s:

He?s an opportunist and he saw the future and made it happen, something no one else could do at the time.

...and something many still can not do today. The people that hate Bill Gates are the people who wish they could be just like him, even thought they will deny this every single time.

...and something many still can not do today. The people that hate Bill Gates are the people who wish they could be just like him, even thought they will deny this every single time.

indeed.. its all about that people are jealous... as I said in my post, a good example is Michael Robertson from Lindows/Linspire

but in terms of appeal, Microsoft is not falling behind.

Looking at it from a realistic point of view, I'd have to strongly contest that point. If that were the case, why are they desperately lowering prices for certain countries who state that, in light of recent let-downs, etc, they are looking at Linux as a viable alternative. (No, I'm a Linuxite -- Used it, didn't like it.)

Why are they offering discounts to all and sundry? Why are they rumbling on about their new 'trustworthy computing' (An irony if ever there was one) whenever there is a journalist in earshot?

To say they are not suffering in terms of appeal just goes against what seems to be common knowledge at the moment.

I, as an Open Source Software user and supporter, don't understand why so many people have such an issue with Bill Gates. I am not a particular fan of his business practices, but he did to amazing things to shape the world of computing (to his benefit, to be sure - and also in attempts to 'lock out' competition, for which he got into a bit of trouble). Those of us who remember the CPM vs DOS days of the personal computer (plus all the Commodores, Ataris, etc.) know that the world cannot run on different incompatible standards. This is the biggest problem I have with Gates, is his direction to de-commoditze the standards and make them "Microsoft-only" standards by bending them.

When I first switched to Linux is probably when I was most down on Gates and Microsoft. At that point I still dual-booted. I think that most of those who are so belligerant against Gates and Microsoft are in a similar situation. They still use Windows and are upset at themselves for this begrudging depencence on it.

It is the responsibility of the well-adjusted majority of Open Source users to show that the vocal (and obnoxious) minority of Open Source users are not the real voice of OSS.

Just my 2 cents. :whistle:

Before any judges Bill Gates or any of the employees at Microsoft, remember that they are there (with the exception of Bill and some of the higher ups) because they needed a job and working for MS is a damn good job. Also remember they have shareholders that they have to please (that's where a lot of decisions come from in the end).

It comes down to this, love him or hate him, the company he helped found has forever changed the face of computers and software in good and bad ways. There was a gap and MS filled it. The alternative could have been IBM, and not the (F)OSS friendly big blue of today.