Sympathy for Bill Gates

i think its all because of the money really

Bill Gates didnt start microsoft off from scrath with nothing

he got a large sum of money from suing IBM over something i cant remember

i dont rly have anything against him tho personally :whistle:

Without people like him, the industry would have much more advanced technology, all of it would be open source and the software industry wouldn't be dominated by one company.

Get a clue..the industry will always be dominated by one company...wether it's Microsoft or not makes no difference. Everyone of them from Redhat to Linspire all want to be that one dominating company.

The opensource community ranks right up there with the Macintosh community. Big, big talk with little to back it up.

kind of reminds me of the little boy who pretends to be real tough to make up for his small stature...that's what Linux and Macs seem to be....The little guy who wants to fight everyone to prove that a little guy can play tough...

Get a clue..the industry will always be dominated by one company...wether it's Microsoft or not makes no difference. Everyone of them from Redhat to Linspire all want to be that one dominating company.

The opensource community ranks right up there with the Macintosh community. Big, big talk with little to back it up.

kind of reminds me of the little boy who pretends to be real tough to make up for his small stature...that's what Linux and Macs seem to be....The little guy who wants to fight everyone to prove that a little guy can play tough...

The industry doesn't have to be run by one company, if there is one standard that everyone can adhere to (without twisting it, like has been done by various companies in the past).

As for the rest of your post, it seems to be a transparent attempt to bait others into flaming. The first part is worthy of response, not the second part. :no:

Almost every market is dominated by one company..c'mon people....look around you...

Walmart, Microsoft, At&T, Coca Cola, GE...they all dominate thier specific market.

You can't have equal parts of any market...there will always be a dominating one....

Almost every market is dominated by one company..c'mon people....look around you...

Walmart, Microsoft, At&T, Coca Cola, GE...they all dominate thier specific market.

You can't have equal parts of any market...there will always be a dominating one....

Walmart market share: 23% source

Microsoft market share: 87% source

AT&T market share: 9% source

Coca Cola market share: 44.3% source

GE market share: varied, as they are a very diverse company - but under 50% to be sure!

Of your examples, Coca-Cola comes the closest, and they have half the share that Microsoft has.

Multiple companies CAN co-exist without one totally dominating the market.

Without people like him, the industry would have much more advanced technology, all of it would be open source and the software industry wouldn't be dominated by one company.

That statement has never been proven either. If Microsoft didn't rise to the top, someone else would have. The fact of the matter is people want to make a buck. And to make that buck, people will lock you into a product. Microsoft does it, Apple does it, Novell, IBM, they all do it. Open source will be around for awhile, but it will look like nothing like it is today. It's something that will eventually be embraced and perverted by the industry to suit their needs, just like everything else.

As for bugs or whatnot in Microsoft products. Microsoft just can't go and update and changing every little thing, people do write custom programs that rely on stuff in Windows and Internet Explorer. If the were just to change crap without giving any reguard at all to the consquences, they would **** off a lot of people. We have custom Linux and Windows apps, when crap changes, they sometimes don't work. So it's great that the open source community can pump out updates and patches, but in the real world, each on of those little updates has to be tested, hence why sometimes, Microsoft and others take awhile to get patches out.

Bottom line, I would say most people are 2 things when they dislike Microsoft, they want to be different (no pun intended),which is good, choice is good, or they are jealous. I'm sure not everyone falls in to these to catagories, but most do.

Edited by Aeons

Walmart market share: 23% source

Microsoft market share: 87% source

AT&T market share: 9% source

Coca Cola market share: 44.3% source

GE market share: varied, as they are a very diverse company - but under 50% to be sure!

Of your examples, Coca-Cola comes the closest, and they have half the share that Microsoft has.

You forget, people have a choice. You can go down to your local Wal-mart and buy a computer with Linux on it. Hell, you can download countless Linux distros from the Internet. You can call or goto Apple's website and buy a Mac. The choice is there. You can blame Microsoft for people using it. You have to admit, there has always been a choice. It may not have always been the greatest choice, but it was there.

nobody likes anybody with more money than them

and gates has more money than most people.

and they have the right not to like him for that reason, at least in my mind. In regards to people hating him solely based on software, it's mainly people who are bitter that they are forced to run an inefficient operating system in order to use the software they like. It's unfair, and there's no doubt microsoft has pushed this fact in order to build a monopoly. This may or may not have anything to do with gates, but he seems to be the scapegoat for the company's problems.

My "examples" may have not been precise since they were just picked out of the blue without looking at any figures...there is still no way for a market to coexist equally. There will ALWAYS be a dominating company.

You forget, people have a choice. You can go down to your local Wal-mart and buy a computer with Linux on it.

So you're saying to punish one market leader by supporting the market leader in another industry?

So you're saying to punish one market leader by supporting the market leader in another industry?

Punish, I call it capitalism. Again, to my previous point, it's an easy source to give people a choice.

I use Windows, Linux, and Macs. I like them all, but I like windows the best. Wider variety of just about everything: games, software, hardware, etc. I think its pretty lame how everyone slams Gates. Most of the people who blame him/MS for security/software issues are usually the same people who don't know jack about security or software. If you had the chance to make infinite amounts of cash doing something you love, would you pass it up? I doubt it. :o

there is still no way for a market to coexist equally. There will ALWAYS be a dominating company.

you're 100% right, but don't think I'm streaching it far to say we expect the dominating company to change from time to time, and that another company should hold a decent ammount of the market so that they may compete with the dominating company.

That statement has never been proven either. If Microsoft didn't rise to the top, someone else would have. The fact of the matter is people want to make a buck. And to make that buck, people will lock you into a product. Microsoft does it, Apple does it, Novell, IBM, they all do it. Open source will be around for awhile, but it will look like nothing like it is today. It's something that will eventually be embraced and perverted by the industry to suit their needs, just like everything else.

I said him _and_ people like him (pushers of propreitary standards). If someone sends you a doc, you aren't really given a choice for what program to use to open it with, you have to use MS Office (OO.org i know i know) but if I sent you an rtf, many different editors can open those.

Think about it, its the called "standing on the shoulders of giants". By allowing people to harse the power of OSS, developers time would not have to be wasted implementing the same thing over again.

I said him _and_ people like him (pushers of propreitary standards). If someone sends you a doc, you aren't really given a choice for what program to use to open it with, you have to use MS Office (OO.org i know i know) but if I sent you an rtf, many different editors can open those.
UGH!!!!b>

Don't get me started on the number of people who send me normal messages as a MS Office ".doc" attachment!:angry:y:

Open it up and it is just a normal message:rolleyes:s:

i think it all stems back to the fact that dos was origionally stolen by gates, so his entire buisness and millions is all built on top of stolen software he didnt even write.

i think it all stems back to the fact that dos was origionally stolen by gates

He didn't steal it bonehead. He purchased Q-DOS from a company called Seattle Computer Products and incorporated it into pc's.

Go read a book once in your life

Edited by scoobydoobie

What is with all this "jealous" rubbish? I haven't heard that sort of response since my school days. For example, I struggle to believe that Linux users who get sent a .doc file instantly think "Oh, I am so jealous of that Bill Gates chap." as opposed to cursing another user for assuming that everyone uses the doc format. To just brush everyone off as being jealous is a blinkered and childish response.

If it were a level playing field today, with equal starting capital for each company, do you think that MS would still come out on top? They have a unique advantage today that no other company or individual can utilise -- money, resource, and the power of market domination. I for one am not jealous of any of this.

I'm disappointed at the ethics that we now know have been used to achieve them, disappointed at the way they utilise the law to get around their illegal practises, disappointed at the way they manipulate their dominance to force out competition, disappointed at the way they abuse their responsibility to provide secure and dependable software ahead of turning a profit. But jealous? Not in a million years thanks all the same.

If it were a level playing field today, with equal starting capital for each company, do you think that MS would still come out on top

Yes. They know how to utilize and capitalize and market thier products...something no other company has been able to do.

You people keep speaking of a level playing field, it's the nature of our economy to give someone the advantage. It maybe insignificant, but someone always does. Again, if it wasn't Microsoft, you guys would be slamming someone else. It's as simple as that.