Blank screen with Powershot A70

Hi, I have a Canon Powershot A70, owned it for about a year now.

I have a problem that surfaced recently...

After a trip back from Malaysia with my camera, it seems that sometimes the

LCD shows nothing but black. When I take a pic and review it later, it also

shows black. There is nothing wrong with the LCD as I can preview photos in

the preview mode and also edit changes with the LCD screen. After a while,

the LCD shows the image again. However, when I turn it on a few hours

later, the same problem occurs. What's wrong?

when its blank, hit the "Display" button once.

I think what u have done is turned off the display so it only shows you a picture after taking one and lets your preview it when u goto preview mode.

Nice cam btw, i got the same :p

• 1 year later...

same thing happen to mine i took a picture viewed it, went to take another and the screen has been black forever now and everything works fine but taking pictures.

I dug a little deeper into this for you, and it seems the Canon PowerShot A70 isn't the most fortunate camera for it's users, here's a few quotes from various review sites (albeit I filtered for all the negative ones - there are many good reviews too with zero problems)

I loved this camera and took good care of it for 21 months (never drop it), then the dreaded CCD problem happened and camera out of warranty. It took black video and pictures only. Cost of repair is 20% of the original camera price. Yes, I agree that electronics tend to fail but 21 months of usage, with less than 3000 pictures taken is (by my standard) too unreliable! It should last for at least 4 years.
Until about 2 weeks ago, I absolutely loved this camera. Problems starting with the lens not retracting all the way. Then the E18 message. Now it won't power up.
After almost 2 years I've developed the infamous CCD problem. Dark screen. Now my 300.00 camera is a paper weight.
Like Everyone else in your reviews, I am having the same blackscreen problem.

My Camera was purchased in the US by my wife as a gift. 15 months later it is a disposable. Does Canon realize that this will harm their image or is it that they don't care about their image.

I came to this site trying to find a way to contact Canon customer service about my camera screen going black the other day. After reading all these posts I see that this is a common problem. I would rather buy a new camera than put another $100 or more into this one. I think I'll just use the view finder and ignore the screen for now and if and when the camera dies, I'll buy another brand. A two year old camera should not require major repair work!

Now if the truth be told, I'd say it was a common problem with this camera, and any repairing that ought to be done, should be done (given that you're still under warranty) - If not, as some reviewers have said, it's going to cost you around 20% of the original cost of said camera. Unfortunate I know, but from what I've read, no-ones been able to twist Canon's arm into doing this for free (as it is outside of the warranty period)

How-ever, and I must state this clearly. Canon have the best customer service through-out all digital camera companies, consumers say this, stores say this, and so do the critics. With this in mind, it should most definately not put you off buying anything from Canon in the future.

As stated before, the only thing you can do is either send it in for repair, or as one reviewer said - Use it as a paperweight.

.Atlantis

I've had this kind of problem in the past with an old sony digital camera

my problem was the batteries connector was kinda moved and juice was "lost"

just a lil tap with my hand always fixed the problem

dunno if this could be your problem

• 2 weeks later...

thats unfortunate!!!! i have powershot a70 as well...since december 2003. it holds pretty well, even though i droped it few times. the only anoying thing is that sometimes i get some kind of mechanical grain on pics..its like it was saved or processed badly. its very rarely though. a couple of pics from 100.

i need new cam anyway...as soon as i will have some free cash i am planing on getting dSLR.

Yep, this happened to my last camera a Casio QVR-40, after my trip to Asia, the CCD died. Since we didn't buy a warranty with it, it would cost about 70-80% of the camera's cost. (N)

I own a canon A70...bought in june 2003 and its still running fine. I had faced similar problem...only realised later that batteries were crappy and display kept turning off...check your batteries...that could be the problem.

Since someone decided to dig up this 1 year old thread, then I guess I'll reply about what happened to me.

I purchased a A80 and moved on, until in May 2005 when I read in an online forum where Canon Singapore (where I am based in) was offering to trade -in A70s with these CCD problems for an A95 for only SG$149 (~US$85). However, the offer is no longer available.

Of course, I grabbed the offer and sold off the A80.

The problem seems to be quite widespread, here's a recent article: http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1128958202.html