• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Argh please help.. cant send files with irc, host games, run server ca

Question

VaxoP    0

I got a new router so my sis can have internet too..

now, whenever i try to send files on irc, let people connect to my ftp, connect to my server (apache) or host a game, it wont work.. i have no idea why it does that..

when i open gamespy, i get the message "your computerse internal IP (192.168.x.x) is different than its externally known IP address (24.81.210.xxx).. and it goes on to tell me that i cant properly host a game.

please does anyone know how to fix this?

4 answers to this question

Malechai    120

moved to network troubleshooting

zivan56    22

Does your router support DMZ? If so set it to your internal ip, and all the server you are running will run smoothly, however the other computers on the router wont. You can also enable port forewarding so it forewards the packets to your ip like 24.1.1.1.1:80 --> 192.168.2.1:80 and do that for all the ports. However some things like MSN Messneger video/audio conferencing and some games wont work without DMZ.

kintamanate    1

if it does not support DMZ. you must go into your router setup and configure the router to allow certain programs use its ports.

Here is a rather list of programs and the ports they use. The page might also give you insight to other commonly asked questions about your router and networking.

UnaBonger    0

Definetly, DMZ..... Put yout machine on the DMZ host. That allows your machine to have direct access with the internet bypassing any of the routers internal security...