How Many People Actually Use Remote Desktop?

Do You Use Remote Desktop  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Use Remote Desktop

• Yes
    • No

I use it everyday several times to connect to other computers on my network, VERY useful feature if you ask me.

i always experience a bit laggy-ness when using remote desktop thru LAN. by that i mean when i can feel like 150ping lag like playing in mulitplayer fps games...

network is rated 10/100

both machines are at least 1GHz (1G and 2.4G)

both machines uses 3rd party visual style

all features of remote desktop turned on (including wallpaper)

Edited by iczman

I don't trust Internet Explorer nor Outlook, nor other microsoft technologies by its security big big holes. Why trust on this?

Just use UltraVNC. Great software, much more features than WXP VNC.

I always use 3rd software if I can. Microsoft has not got security at all!!

I've never seen any "security holes" in Terminal Services.

Well, now somebody is going to tell me that one of microsoft priorities when makes soft is security, and also that is stupid use it's OS if you think that, well... as there is so many 'REAL' alternatives. Yes I have linux and others, but when somebody tells 'hey use this soft', happens that I need windows, and a secure windows, without the big big holes it has on many of its components, so I use whenever I can 3rd softwares.

Yes I have used it quite a few times. I have 5 computers set up in my home in different rooms of the house and i find it much easier to just be able to sit at my computer and update all of the others without having to go from room to room. Also me and quite a few of my co-workers are all on a WAN and if they need help I just log right in to their computer and try to fix it. Helps alot if they have a problem at 1 in the am and i dont feel like driving over there.

Yea, I like remote desktop pretty well...I don't use it ALOT at home (unfortunatly you cant use it on my school network) but at work I can sit at my desk and remote desktop to the servers :yes: that way i dont have to get up off my lazy ass to see whats up when problems occur :p

Nope, TightVNC works much better becasue of the compession and java viewer. Also theres no messing around with user accounts.

What are some of the advantages of VNC over Remote Desktop, or Remote Desktop over VNC? From what I know, Remote Desktop is faster because it sends windowing instructions while VNC behaves more like an interactive streaming movie. The only disadvantage to Remote Desktop's approach is that things such as Direct2D (games, movies) don't show up at all. A disadvantage for VNC, at least from what I gathered the last time I tried it, was that it worked by allowing a remote client to control the active session while anyone at the host could interact, watch, or disconnect the client. If there's no way of disabling this then Remote Desktop has a great advantage over it by creating unique sessions for every login (or giving the option to resume previous sessions) where users can only interact with other sessions based on their permissions. A slight downside is that in XP SP1 there can only be one active session at the time (so the person who is physically at the host would get booted to the login screen), but fortunately with SP2 (or Windows 2000 Server or Windows Server 2003), you will be able to have more than one active session at a time. Oh and as for VNC having a java applet client, Remote Desktop has an Active X client as well as a few open source clients that run on Linux and others.

I use RD (or TS) nearly everyday.

It works great over a LAN or broadband connection.

I find it much more responsive (and feature-rich) than the competitors I've tried.

IIS 5.1 and 6.0 come with TSWEB, an activeX based RD client that can be hosted on the RD server itself.

There's also a freely downloadable client for any version of Windows and for the Mac as well.

It does an excellent job of making the connection as transparent as possible. It automatically routes printers on the local computer to the remote session (so I can log into my work computer from home, open a document, click "print", and select from any of the work printers OR my home printer). And you don't have to worry about printer drivers, or even whether its a compatible OS (for instance, if connecting to a 64-bit version of Windows).

I know Citrix has some of those features but I'm not sure if any of the VNC's do.

From the people who have tried RealVNC, UltraVNC, AND TightVNC....which do you find to be the best?

I have tried all them, and have found UltraVNC the best for me.

remote assistance is the same as remote desktop...

those who say that other 3rd party programs have more features, what kind of features? Remote desktop gives you 100% control over the pc (just like sitting on it) with the exception of ctrl + alt + del doesnt work but how often do we use that with microsoft software ;)

I think remote desktop is brilliant... Though I wouldnt recommend playing games over it..