.dmg File Making - Toast?

Hello All,

Recently I got really obsessed with backing up all of my disks, and since I have 2 firewire drives I figured why not make .dmg files and back them up on one of the drives.

Now since I only recently got Toast, I dont have much experince with it as an Application, but I was under the impression thats how one makes a .dmg file, using Toast, but I cant figure out how to do it.

So my questions as follows:

• Can I make a .dmg file using Toast and if so what settings and options do I need to choose?
  • Can you make a .dmg file of a DVD?
  • If I cannot make a .dmg file using Toast, what app do I need to do it?

Thanks in Advanced to anyone that can help!

DL

So my questions as follows:

• Can I make a .dmg file using Toast and if so what settings and options do I need to choose? - No
  • Can you make a .dmg file of a DVD? ???
  • If I cannot make a .dmg file using Toast, what app do I need to do it? Disk Utility

Thanks in Advanced to anyone that can help!

DL

You use Disk Utility (Located in Applications\Utilities) to create DMG files. Here's how to create an image of a Data DVD:

1. Load Disk Utility

2. Click on the DVD you wish to create an image from on the pane on the left side

3. Go to the menu Images, then click "New", then "Image from <volume name>"

4. Follow the instructions on screen.

To create an image from a folder on your hard drive is pretty much the same way, except that you click "Create Image from Folder" Then select the folder and follow the instructions on screen.

It will ask you what type of file to create. For archival purposes, I suggest compressed.