UK dailup ISPs?

If you've read the BTinternet thread, you'll know why I want to change ISP...

Anyway, what UK ISP do people recommend? I need (need) free calls. Other nice features are less frequent (or none, but I don't think that exists) disconnections - BTi disconnects after 2 hours, which is a bit annoying - 4 hours would be nice. Of course now, BTi disconnects after about 10 mins often.

I'm willing to pay up to ?25 or ?30/m - quite a lot for a dailup service, but ?10 or ?15/m more is worth it.

Anyone have any suggestions? Blueyonder look good, but I have a BT line and they require a telewest :se :s - not even sure if you can get a telewest line here (L'Derry, UK).

How often do you get disconnected (both intentionally and accidently) with them? Do you get busy signals often? Is a BT line OK?

I'd be looking to get NTL cable as soon as they make it available, but that will be months at best.

I use Windows all the time, but it's a LAN connection to a Linux server, which then has the 56Kb modem in it. I could probably use the software on my windows machine after changing the username/password and number in the ppp configs - not too confident though :o

I have a Pentium linux server in a cupboard on 24/7 - don't know who I'd live without it :)

I just checked Demon.net, who are quite famous. ?40/m for free calls!

I previously used NTLWorld dial up and could stay connected for over 5 hours . Now I use their free [bar cost of the cable modem... though you can rent a cable modem] 64k cable service... no disconnections and FAST download speeds [7-10kb/s].

Very good service and TV and phone are included in the monthly price... hard to see why anyone DOESN'T use NTL [apart from if it's not in their area].

Yeah, I'd use cable too - when you say 64kb is that Kb or KB (ie. bits or bytes)? I'd use the 512Kb connection which costs ?10/?15 more but is niiiice, giving 64KB connection (I gather downloads of 45KB/s is more like the actual speed).

I didn't know they had a free 64Kb connection for ?5/mon:) :) - 8KB connection is better than a modem and more reliable and cheaper. If I'm understanding this right, then I know a few people who would be interested - they can't afford cable as they're students.

Another question along the NTLWorld line: would this make switching to NTL cable easier, like being able to keep username and email addresses?

Ahh another BT Internet Dude ey :p well I am on ADSL from BT Internet - not been a lot of problems. Can stay on for weeks or months at a time and no disconnection :) I would advise you to get that but sup 2 you...money etc

Nah, they assured me it's just stopped. Possible your cousin signed up just before - there is often a delay with them so he might have signed up a month ago but only just got the CD.

ADSL? I'd love it, but it's not available. Neither is Cable.

I've just signed up with Nutshell - they seem pretty good (been connected for 2 1/2 hours now) but *argh* there is only one email address.

I'm with BT Internet (have home Highway) and I hate it when they cut every 2 hours. I emailed them a couple of times and they gave me different explanations each time... and on the phone, one technician claimed there was a way round it.. but didn't say more than that.

But anyway I think that this 2 hour cut should be required to be advertised in bold on their (and other ISP's) ads, just like the warnings on UK tobacco packets...etc.. because it is afterall a consumer service, and we the consumer are entitled to know what we are paying for up front, so I'm complaining to OFTEL about it (for all the good it will do.. but I would encourage others if they have the time to do this also) because when I said to BT.. well I think this 2 hour cut stinks, they said - so what ! @@@@ !!

And this also applies to some other UK ISP's like Virgin.net... who are about to offer their flat rate service but didn't bother to tell anyone in the initial advertising that they are gonna implement a 2 hour cut... it took me 3 emails to Virgin.Net to find this one out and this is the quote from the good lads at Virgin.net ...

" The forced disconnect feature was to be introduced at the beginning of the STC trial but wasn?t, to provide an unmetered package that was as flexible and user friendly as possible. It has now been activated to ensure the smooth running and stability of the STC service for all users. We would also like to point out that it is common practise for unmeteredaccess services to have restrictions of this type" .... what a load of crap !!

I say.. "POWER TO US, the USER".. it's our money.. (oh.. and please feel free to recommend a good flat rate or free UK ISP which don't cut !!

Tai :evil:

Every freecall ISP has that - I've discovered Ispreview.co.uk which conveniently lists the cut off time. I'm trying to get Free Chariot working now, which has a 4-hour cut off during the evening/night and no cut off during the day (for business users).

But I can't get it working with Linux :(

yeah.. I'll look at that service tonight... thanks.

I was reading the BT Internet thread... looks like plenty others are unsatisfied with 2 hour cut offs and changing dial up numbers... . I called Blueyonder today about cable... for my area it sounds like it'll be around 2276... maybe able to messenger chat to Capt'n Kirk then ! :alien:

Any idea if these 2 or 4 hour mandatory service cut offs are standard in other countries ?? like in the USA ?

Well I think we should all campaign against our crappy UK Dial up ISP's ... calling all UK neowinians... we have to defeat the dark side of the force (mostly BT) ! :evil:

Tai