Doom 3 Released Early

DsnBehind

Doom 3 Released Early

Preleased movies and music has befuddled the copyright industry for years. Typically, big release movies often find themselves online days or even weeks prior to their official release. Music also finds its way online through various channels, the most recent news maker being U2's "Vertigo."

Doom 3, the highly anticipated 3rd person "shoot 'em up", is set to be released in stores on August 3rd. However, it appears the game ended up being shipped and sold at several Best Buy locations early. It is currently unclear whether this was an unauthorized sale or not.

When any type of media makes its way either to the theater, music store or other outlet, it is not a question of if, but when such entertainment will end up online. Such is the case with Doom 3, as it appears release groups got a hold of the game early and through completely legitimate channels.

Within a day of Neowin.net reporting that Doom 3 had made its way to Best Buy and an independent game store, the game has rapidly spread across the file-sharing community. The Newsgroups once again get first place as it was posted on July 31st, while BitTorrent quickly made this release available perhaps a half day later.

Source

L3thal

Typical of all hyped up games, movies, and music cd's.

_Pablo
Doom 3, the highly anticipated 3rd person "shoot 'em up"...
I'd like to see him/her explain the popular FPS acronym...maybe it stands for Fird Person Shooter.
...as it appears release groups got a hold of the game early and through completely legitimate channels....

The very first publicly available downloadable copy of Doom3 was on Usenet, posted by evilmike - an individual not affiliated with any "release groups" just apparently a regular guy who had bought it.

helmers

I guess that is part of the price you pay for popularity. I am pretty confident they will make up any projected losses by enormous sales and not to mention the D3 engine.

_Pablo

I don't think there is any doubt that id and Activision will make a profit on Doom3, afterall I know someone who has downloaded evilmikes posting to Usenet and played it and still has their pre-order standing and is eagerly awaiting some legit deathmatch action (no names simply because I don't want to incriminate myself...doh!) - it was a two fold thing - firstly it's just the quickest way to get it playing and paying and secondly you're able to evaluate your current hardware and upgrade as appropriate.

But seeing suprnova showing 70000 downloads of the RELOADED torrent brings the size of the problem home, as it equates to $3.5M of possible losses and that is obviously the tip of the iceberg. While it has a legitimate use for the consumer (and the impact may have not been so great if the Demo was available) - many people will not buy it after playing a warezed copy and not liking it whilst many people will buy it simply because they played they played the warez copy and liked it - there is the darker side where there are many who will not buy it either because they have the warez version (so why pay in their mind) and there are always those who are not going to buy anything regardless - so it's got to hurt id/activision somewhat.

However, when all is said and done I despise copy protection and would rather not have to hunt down CDs each time I want to play, so I'm all for No-CD cracks even though they do damage sales - it's the sale of warez copies I truly hate.