[Definitive] Doom 3 Experience

DirtyLarry, iD should hire you. :ninja: :whistle:

LOL. I can definitely do interface design no problem at all, and would be an obviously easy to please beta Tester, so I got no problem with that. ;)

The more I thought about my post after posting it though, I must also really stress the fact that the older I get, the less picky and easy I am to please with games, so that definitely has something to do with my loving the game, no question about it.

Since I just beat the game, My final thoughts...

I am still impressed and think that Doom 3 is a great game overall.

With that said, the end boss / ending was perhaps one of, if not the worse one ever, that I have ever played. I am terribly disappointed.

It took me just 2 times of dying to figure out the last boss pattern. The 1st time was because I always have to just try fighting Rambo style, and the 2nd time was because I fell off the edge. Not only that, but as soon as I did figure the pattern out, I killed him without even getting hit once. This is truly unfortunate, as I feel there was so much more potential for something brillaint in that hell environment. Something along the lines of a puzzle based ending perhaps? Anything really, just something more clever and difficult that what the ending was.

Now bring on Half Life 2.

I just cant express how much I truly think this game is one of the best I ever played. I will admit alot has to do with how I game now in my older years...

I dont get to game often at all anymore, maybe 5 hours a week tops, so I have been playing Doom 3 since it first came out.

Lately I really havent gotten to play much at all, much less than I usually do which is not much to begin with, so it is taking me quite some time to complete the game.

I am now in the caverns, and when I saw the first Hell I was just truly amazed.

When I play the game, I actually do sit there and read every email, watch every Video Disk, and listen to every Voice Mail. By choosing to do this not imparative aspects of the game, along with incredible overall sound, and the luxury of being able to enjoy the game graphically in its full splendid glory thanks to my 6800 Ultra, I really must say Doom 3 is looking more and more like the most enjoyable overall experience I have ever had with a first person shooter, period. And believe me when I tell you I have really enjoyed way, way to many to list.

Keep in mind I said "overall experience," not the best gameplay. Maybe alot has to do with how I apporach gaming now though too, since I am older I really now more than ever just look to get engaged in a world for whatever brief time it may be. And Doom 3 does just this for me, it fully engages me, and keeps me truly entertained the entire time, and thats all I can ask.

:D excellent, someones opinion i can agree with. Doom3 is all about the overall experience, playing in the dark gave me the creeps and the storyline is a bit thin but it is doom and when did doom ever have a good storyline. it was never aboutthe story but the gameplay.

I approach this game the same way. i made time to play this game and really got into it. had a good 1-2 hour session and came out feeling im getting my moneys worth.

And HELL damn awesome i love when u first go in just before the staircase and those 2 statues turn towards u WOW!

I was disappointed in the difficulty of the final boss as well. After the pile of ammo you collect right before I thought I was in for one hell of a battle. A few clips of shotty and plasma rounds later..game over. The end movie clip was the **** though.

I agree, Dashel. The end boss was WAY to easy. Esspecially considering how hard the cyber-demon was in Doom 1 Episode 2.

I really thought the game got entirely too easy with the soul cube. The soul cube really wasn't even an interesting concept in my opinion. First of all, it should have taken a lot more to get it charged, and then it should have killed everything in a room or something. They could have made it really grapphic with it punishing monster bodies all over, and throwing them up against walls with head and limbs flying off everywhere. That would have been cool.

The Hell boss was a lot more of a satisfying kill for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Just updated my ATI catalyst drivers from 4.9 beta to 4.9 official. I must say I've experienced a much smoother doom 3 gameing experience with the non-beta drivers. My computer no long lags down when I'm in a room w/ a lot of monsters and tons of action. Very pleased. Wish I would have had these drivers when I went through the game the first time.

• 3 weeks later...
hl2 will own doom III

584696219[/snapback]

Says who? I grew up playing Doom. Half-Life is a great game, but I always preferred demons, imps, and cyberdemons from hell instead of aliens and the military. Give me DOOM!!

Overall, I've enjoyed the game so far, although I've only played as far as Alpha Labs 4. I'm no expert in criticizing a game, but I think that Doom 3 was an interesting experience (and a scary one), especially for my friend who would play for a bit, freak out, and start cursing at the demons.

My one comment would be that the game runs pretty well on almost any computer that most people have today, provided you're willing to spend the time doing a couple of tweaks (which shouldn't be too bad if you're a computer guy anyways).

I run on the computer shown in my sig, at lowest quality / resolution, all effects disabled, etc. at about 10-25 fps, which for most people would be quite horrendous, but considering the fact that I'm quite far below the minimum reqs, it doesn't seem so bad. (It's a Geforce 2 MX...comparable to today's integrated video card solutions :) )

That said, I haven't been able to test any of the better resolutions, but it's quite amazing compared to what I see from games like Halo, where the surroundings seem rather bland on most maps.

I wonder when I'll be able to crank this baby at 1920X1200 in Ultra.

584765239[/snapback]

I started the game on 1024x768 medium and finished playing the game on 1600x1200 Ultra after a vid card upgrade. :blink: But i have to say, the levels in this game are so boring in design that you don't even notice that you are playing in a higher resolution/detail level. I just wanted to finish the game to see if there would be a level a bit different then the rest, a bit less boring ... enter the room ... rooms fills with spawned creatures ... shoot them and watch them disappear ... enter the next room .... I did like the hell level for a few minutes. I'm glad that i finished the game .... anyone want to buy my copy of D3 ? :pinch: