*Official* New iMac thread

I think its a stupid idea to make an all-in one for a few reasons:

1) Expandability

2) Logicstics & Shipping. Warranty repair might be more costly if the whole unit needs to be shipped back. My bet is more than a few screens will crack.

Don't give me the BS about getting a G5 if I want to expand the system. I don't think anyone should have to spend over $2000 to get more expansion in their system: rip-off.

If Apple keeps an iMac style like they had previously (better with a buy-your-own screen option) or better yet a new Cube-like design ... I am sold.

I think its a stupid idea to make an all-in one for a few reasons:

1) Expandability

2) Logicstics & Shipping. Warranty repair might be more costly if the whole unit needs to be shipped back. My bet is more than a few screens will crack.

Don't give me the BS about getting a G5 if I want to expand the system. I don't think anyone should have to spend over $2000 to get more expansion in their system: rip-off.

If Apple keeps an iMac style like they had previously (better with a buy-your-own screen option) or better yet a new Cube-like design ... I am sold.

It is very easy to expand with Firewire and USB nowadays...

Shipping costs are minimal, except for the weight of the built in monitor really, but LCD's don't weight that much.

So when did Apple say the new iMacs are coming out?

It's due in September......

hey......I don't mind any of those designs......on;y if I had the money....

:shifty:

I think it will still be white, as everything from apple (except isight) are white...

ibook ipod current imac ...

or maybe it will look like isight's metal feel

it will be white

you'll notice a very clear separation

powermac, powerbook, xserve, all the pro lines are metal

imac, ibook, ipod, all the consumer lines are white plastic

I just thought of something. The iMac is really heavy because the base has to be stable to accomodate the floating LCD, right? If they integrate the LCD into the base unit, it won't have to be that heavy and so could actually cost less to ship in for repair. :)

^ But that would look ugly :x

I don't want them to change the design of the current iMacs, because personally I think they look beautiful. I am holding off on buying a mac because I want to see what design they come up for the iMacs :shifty:

I just thought of something. The iMac is really heavy because the base has to be stable to accomodate the floating LCD, right? If they integrate the LCD into the base unit, it won't have to be that heavy and so could actually cost less to ship in for repair. :)

Apple is going to do that, atleast you can guess pretty much from the latest ThinkSecret news.

I really liked the floating LCD idea but I wont write off the new design until I see it.

Apple is going to do that, atleast you can guess pretty much from the latest ThinkSecret news.

I really liked the floating LCD idea but I wont write off the new design until I see it.

Anneversary of the 9" monochrome mac?

:huh: I dont know what you're referring to. :p (Sorry still new to Macs/Apple thing)

Those were some darn cool machines. Kind of like a bread box turned on its side with a 9" monochrome screen and a super drive (floppy that read PC disks too). I think there was a Mac Classic revival version even. Good stuff, for its time. :)

Really, the only thing I hope Apple doesn't do is make it look like another generic all in one. The way that ThinkSecret described it as looking like that Sony Vaio absolutly made me want to barf. Yes, some people may not like the imac as it is now, but everyone has to admit that the enginering behind its display and everything is uncompairable to anything out there now.

My vision of the next imac would be that it looks just like the cinima display, but with a white finish and thicker so that the internals can be housed. This would fit the "pizza box" rumors, and it would look kick ass. Yes, it would mean that the ard drive and CD/DVD drive would have to be vertical, but advancements in drives have come a long way since they said that as their reason for the half-ball iMac.

I pray and trust that Apple won't screw up, but there is always that chance.