*Official* New iMac thread

They could build a case/LCD combo with an internal weighting mechanism that would make the whole unit adjustable.

I mean, they could. I just made that up, but it sounds neat to me :p

I know this is kinda off topic, but how in the world did Apple managed to cool down the G4 processor in the G4 cube with no fan? I mean if I somehow managed to jam a intel processor based computer into the cube would it need a fan? :blink: :wacko:

You know, that's a absolutly beautiful design. However, it it not functional at all. For one, the screen is tilted up, so the best view of the screen is from either standing up, or with the iMac lower than you. You can't move the screen at all, so that you can have the screen adjust to where the person using it finds it confortable. This is a key element of the current iMac's design.

Awesome case work, but it really isn't funtional. Personally, I would not buy that even if it had dual g5s in it and cost 500$ (except maybe to use it as a TV screen in my bathroom or something?) However, it is the closest mock-up design that I have seen that conforms to the new feel that things are taking at Apple now.

This new occuring trend with Apple is that they are going really streamlined with everything. We used to have Machines with have-circles on the handles (Quicksilver Powermac, iBook), curved backs (first iMac), and now we are seeing more defined lines with curves only at harsh places such as handle corners and screen edges (witness powermac G5 handles, iPodmini edges, New cinima displays top and bottem edge). This is more of the "simple yet powerful" Feel that Apple is going for.

That's another thing...There is no garauntee that this iMac won't be metal. People say that Apple is creating two distinct groups, but don't realize that this may just be a shift of style in Apple, and that the consumer lines havn't been upped to the new style (yet). If consumer products arn't metal, then what is the iPod mini?

Just some food for thought.

Edited by inziga

Superb Mockup!!! If it were wall mountable it would be even better. What would be perfect (in my opinion) is Apple's flat panel design with the computer flush in the back with removable stand and wall mounts included. Of course wireless keyboard and scroll-two button mouse would be ideal ... but we all know that is a dream.

• 2 weeks later...

pastedGraphic8.jpg

From gizmodo:

But I can't sit eating crackers all morning, so you guys get some news. How about this picture of what may be the iMac G5? A faithful reader sent in this pic with the story that it was surreptitiously snapped in an elevator at Charles de Gualle. If I weren't feeling crappy, this would be the part where I make a joke about Apple and unsecured AirPorts.

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/imac-g5-spy-shot-020385.php

Looks like a cinema display to me, but who knows..

yeah i saw the cinema displays at comp usa the other day. the box was that exact size and everything. i bet it's just a new display.

They are so beautiful, yet so expensive :(

I love that all-in-one design with the curved back, like most've said it's a bit unusable but the design is amazing, anyways I'm sure that apple in all their creativity could come up with some way to adjust something like that...

Anyways, back the the reason I'm posting... If I remember right, a few days, maybe weeks ago... (w/e summer's always a blur) there was a front page post about apple filing a patent application for the ability to change the colour of a computer case to any colour in a chameleonic way using an array of different coloured LEDs... or something like that

So I'm guessing that when it's off it'll be a white plastic and when it's on it'll be any colour u want!

yeah i saw the cinema displays at comp usa the other day. the box was that exact size and everything. i bet it's just a new display.

The new displays are white on the sides, so it cant be :o