:( Doom III is Crashing

thecowgoesmoo207

ok, i just got the game, installed it, and everything was working fine. but then, after playing it for a while, it crashed to the desktop. no errors, no anything. just an empty desktop with no doom III gaming goodness :(. so, i started again, played for about five minutes, and BAM!, it did it again. Its actually doing it after about 3-5 minutes of play now. any solutions?

thanks - thecow

Explicative

Make sure you're not overclocking anything and that your temperatures and voltage rails are OK. I don't know if the game has an error log function of some sort but search around the game directory for one to see if there's any more info on why it's crashing.

ViperSpeeder2002

One of my friends had this same problem, I think its your drivers. I would venture to say you are using an ATI card, cause thats what my friend had. Update your drivers and select the option in game for "auto detect"

thecowgoesmoo207

yep, ati 9800 pro, just updated to the newest beta drivers (was using the 4.7's). i'll try that auto-select thing and see if it helps.

Explicative: i'm overclocking the processor and the video card, but the system temperatures are fine. the card is barely even warm and the processor heatsink is cool as well. voltage seems fine too. could it just be that doom III doesn't like the overclocking?

thanks - thecow

Guest bartekpl

GOOD.now you can stop posting stupid doom 3 threads! LETS HOPE HL2 will crash for you too!!!!!

Gh3ttoRoM3o

to be totally honest with you I don't know much about computers *no sarcasm*. Well I was having the same problem, and what I did was lower my graphics settings little by little till it stopped doing it. At first I thought it was just pretty random cause it was at first. But then I noticed like when you get to the first place where the monster pops up from under the stairs with the doorway at the top of the stairs, and the door leaders to that big room, with the swinging platform that holds the barrells...(hard to describe) it would always occur when I go in that room and look up. Now that I think about it I should've tried like different combinations of settings to see what worked and what didn't to find something more specific.

Sorry if the real problem gets found and addressed, but I figured some input was better than no input.

thecowgoesmoo207
GOOD.now you can stop posting stupid doom 3 threads! LETS HOPE HL2 will crash for you too!!!!!

well screw you too, if you don't like doom 3, that's your problem. it's the biggest release in years, so of course there are going to be a lot of posts about it, in the pc gaming forum no less.

Guest bartekpl
well screw you too, if you don't like doom 3, that's your problem. it's the biggest release in years, so of course there are going to be a lot of posts about it, in the pc gaming forum no less.

did i say i dont like it no.what i dont like is you people posting stupid posts OVER and OVEr again. STOP and search, dont just make new posts and think it's going to help you.

haru

Carmack mentioned that Doom3 would use transistors in your video card that you've never used before. He said that overclocking your card could cause it to fail in doom3 when it never failed before.

Zaic

haru said it Carmack did mentioned it

well ill try to overclock my 650mhz duron and geforce2

heh but still its fun to play doom3 ;] even on if I get 10-30fps ;]

thecowgoesmoo207

ok, tried 3 versions of drivers so far, unoverclocked, and im still seeing the problem. any more suggestions?

thanks for the help so far - thecow

b3ta

I thought ATi were going to release new drivers which will be optimised for Doom3 - very soon.

Wait for those or manybe the first patch for the game, then things should settle down.

I hope. :$

Preemo

LOL!!! What horrid statements.

:rofl:

thecowgoesmoo207

after doing some research on this "crashing to desktop" thing, it seems to be a very common problem with a number of newer games. to be even more specific, it seems to be a common problem with similar setups to mine (9800 pro, AMD athlon xp). i've had this issue before, but it's not been as bad as it is in doom III.

Someone with a similiar issue (minus doom III)

The Supposed Solution - Doesn't seem like a good idea to me

things i've tried so far

--------------------------------

Unoverclocked the Radeon 9800 Pro and Restored Deafult Clock Speeds

Unoverclocked the processor

Tried Cat's 4.6, 4.7, and the newest 4.9 Doom III Beta's

Changed the RAM latency settings from Turbo to Aggressive and then to Optimal (fancy term for default)

Closed ALL unneccessary services

Reinstalled Doom III

Switched from the soundcard to the onboard audio and back

Uninstalled the video card then reinstalled the drivers

Gave my computer the finger for not letting me play Doom III

EDIT: just tried the omega's, still no luck

thanks - thecow

Edited by thecowgoesmoo207
Hell-In-A-Handbasket

iv been wresling with this also since friday, i think MAY have foudn the solution,

i installed the NEw Beta Catalyst drivers, 4.8, 4.9 or something,

i just got out MP game, usally it locked after a couple minuts, it didnt, earlier i was in SP, it lockes ocasionally there, it didnt

9700 Pro here

thecowgoesmoo207

thought the 4.9's would fix it, but sadly i had no luck with those either :(

William Wallace
One of my friends had this same problem, I think its your drivers. I would venture to say you are using an ATI card, cause thats what my friend had. Update your drivers and select the option in game for "auto detect"

Arrr! ATI cards suck! :ninja: But try the Omega drivers.

Lefhark

Got an ATI 9600XT here and experienced those crashes which spat me back to desktop as well. None of the suggested solutions worked, until i reverted my CPU from 3200+ back to the 2500+ it was meant to be run at (tho even at 3200+ it wouldn't get hot really. 50?C at max). Well ok, another reason also might be, that my ram runs at 166MHz fsb instead of 200MHz fsb now.

Looks like those ID guys weren't kidding when they said Doom3 would stress PCs more than any game before.

No lockups or crashes eversince.

-Lef

stockwiz

Same problem.. except for me, the game will hang and have to be closed manually. The system itself will never lock up requiring a reboot so I'm assuming it's a software/driver issue and not a hardware one.

kairon

your a total loser man. a disrespect to us jersey people. :laugh:

thecowgoesmoo207

ok, it seems the problem is potentially heat-related. i have 8 case fans and a Vantec Aeroflow and it always seems cool inside the case, but after removing the side panel and putting a room cooling fan in its place, doom III hasn't crashed yet. can anyone else with this issue try removing their side panel and putting a decent fan there instead? maybe we can confirm this issue is heat-related. i know i'm not the only one experiencing this, so to anyone else with this issue left unresolved - check your cooling, that might be the problem.

thanks - thecow

EDIT: It just crashed again :(

Edited by thecowgoesmoo207
curme

I had the same problem. I updated my bios using the ASUS Update, and haven't had a crash yet! :D

thecowgoesmoo207

hmm, i'll try that. i have a soltek board though.

larry

It's happening to me too. I hope a patch from ID or ATI comes out soon. Farthest I got was following the little robot guy to the elevator

thecowgoesmoo207

well, the problem got to me enough - i've reformatted again, this time, only installing chipset drivers, video card drivers, direct x 9.0c, and doom III. i even put off running windows update. to my suprise, it seems to be working perfectly now. is it possible that something on the windows update site conflicted with some of my hardware?