• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

The "Blue Screen of Death"

Daysleeper    0

After a recent thread I started in the XP help forum I got thinking about the stupid things me and a few friends used to do whilst training. Basically it was a competition of who could create the best blue screen of death on NT4 server/ws without totally killing the system.. in other words you could screw it easy and fix it easy..

I have had many problems with XP but have yet to get a blue screen.. I know in 2000 they changed the blue to a much deeper shade and with richer text than NT.. made it look nicer.. and I am wondering with all the visual enhancements in XP if they have improved it. After all we all want the full eXPerience of using XP don't we.. and a blue screen is part of it. 9X systems would not be the same without the "System is busy" blue screen.

If people respond I will put some effort into finding one myself.. I just wondered if anyone had stumbled upon one.

For those that like to play: This was the winner ... and devised my myself :-)

NT servers and sometimes WS are installed with a small DOS boot sector so you can run tools like Mylex RAID builder amongst others in the event of a system recovery. Well this has to be FAT16 as NT doesnt understand FAT32... so what do you do ? yeah change it.. Back up key files to floppy.. boot.ini, bootsect.dos, ntldr, ntdetect and IO.sys. Format the partition with FAT 32 then replace the files. Now no one uses MS-DOS 6.22 anymore and the DOS partition will normally be from a 9598 sys command (has to be OSR2.1 with 95).. so after all this what you have is a boot system what understands FAT32 and an OS what doesn't.. and you get a very rare "Black Screen of Death" generated by ntdetect after it can't find its buddy ntldr.. you can fix it by just reversing what you have just done.. put back FAT16 and the files... but just to really impress... you can boot NT from a floppy, you need to modify bootsect.dos and its complex, don't do this unless you have a lot of time and nothing better to do.. but using Nortons Diskedit you can modify it to boot the NT installation on the sever/WS. Once its up there are millions of ways to invoke a Blue Screen going to "Startup/Shutdown" in the system menu is one.. or running Disk Manager is another..

Man how many hours I wasted doing that... but on the up-side I figured out how to decode memory dumps..

have fun and don't blame me if you destroy you system

PabUK    28

I have had blue screens in XP, and sorry to say but they are just like the Windows 2000 ones.

Tesseract    0

Since Microsoft thinks that we will rarely ever eXPerience a blue screen in XP, they decided not to make it fancier than the one in Windows 2000.

YahoKa    0

I have NEVER had a BSOD on win2k :) , so i dont know what it looks like. I have had only 1 on windows XP, and the problem was my video card AGP timer, easily fixed, and now its smooth 'n' stable as can be.

mortensen    0

Yup... I "used" to have blue screens on XP and they are the same style as Win2k [which I got a BSOD on after installing bad drivers].

Glowstick    3

uhm... NTDETECT.COM will be loaded after NTLDR

Thecoz    0

No blue screens yet here never got one in 2k either guess im lucky!:lick: :p :evil:

MulletRobZ    2

I've had the BSOD mostly at start-up and it only happened 3 times since I reloaded Windows 98 SE and Linux-Mandrake 8.0! I'll see if I can improve that to 0 once I get Windows XP or Windows 2000!

crackhbob    0

With the need for better drivers than the built in XP Radeon drivers, I used the win2k leaked ones. I had many blue screens while doing things like playing RTCW and even running the nature screen saver from the Plus! XP pack. Now with the leaked made for xp drivers the system is running flawlessly again! To add to that, I can finally get up to my card's max resolution of 2048x1536!!!! Or when running at my normal 1024x768 I get refresh rates of 200hz! These drivers are phenomenal!

MulletRobZ    2

Hmm ... I think that BSOD occurance at Startup occurs only after I installed some major software since that happened after I installed version 2 of Windows Installer, but it didn't happen after I installed Photoshop 6! Ah, maybe I'll never know the whole story behind it! :D