• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

XP SP2 BUG's

macmax    14

Slipped sp2 ( from windows beta ) into winxp pro.

Installed and then When i try to mazimise any window with the mouse drag the Busy icon is displayed next to the mouse pointer.

2)In IE6 in the addressbar where we type url when mouse is pointed shows busy symbol next 2 mouse pointer.

3)Right-Click HANGS the Explorer.exe a possible memory leak 50% resource gets used

sorry dint have a spare pc 2 replicate the bugs.

Edited by mohan_168

mercuryx013    0

I installed SP2 and do not have any of the problems listen above.

ecotrojan    11

same here

LISTED

mongoled    0

Double clicking on security center = instant reboot.

Didnt do this when i had it cleaned installed, all i got on is drivers and a few non system dependent apps (if u know what i mean), maybe its the beta cat 4.9 im using causing it

:wacko:

bush    0
Slipped sp2 ( from windows beta ) into winxp pro.

Installed and then When i try to mazimise any window with the mouse drag the Busy icon is displayed next to the mouse pointer.

2)In IE6 in the addressbar where we type url when mouse is pointed shows busy symbol next 2 mouse pointer.

3)Right-Click hands the Explorer.exe

sorry dint have a spare pc 2 replicate the bugs.

3rd one here. really annoying.

theyarecomingforyou    10,424

Here's another:

atapi.sys can't be installed, forcing you to miss that file and continue with the rest.

Upon bootup, the LCD monitor will then go out of range (set to 37.5hz, or something) and you can't use Windows. (Doesn't seem to be a refresh issue, and every now and then it will boot up without problem - had to system restore in the end)

That only occured on one computer, but it worked fine on this one (upgrading from 2149). I have seen someone else mention this bug, and it is VERY irritating.

[bear]    0

Uh i don't see any of those problems? SP2 running stable here..

Phemo    45

Mine's fine apart from one thing: my motherboard's firewire controller no longer works. I plug my iPod in and my system reboots and if I plug my firewire hard drive in, it shows as being unable to start in device manager. Works fine on my Audigy 2's firewire controller.

Oh well. I'll be doing a slipstreamed install as soon as I can be bothered :)

macmax    14

Good to know that i am not the only one facing " possible " memory leak on right-clicking .....

well i am thinking does this have 2 do anything with nvidia drivers ? although i have the "nvidia display driver " service disabled and even nview disabled.

S.MULLA    8

got no bugs at all, non of the above either. even the explorer resource hogger.

my only complaint is the message it displays when security centre is not fully operational :angry: bah, pi$$ off.!!!

Phemo    45
got no bugs at all, non of the above either. even the explorer resource hogger.

my only complaint is the message it displays when security centre is not fully operational :angry: bah, pi$$ off.!!!

Yeah that's annoying. Disabling the security center service will sort that out though.

pdog    0

i know windows server 2003 had the rihgt click memory leak, you fixed it with a registry entry, look for a guide and see if that fixes it.

Captain Caveman    0

The atapi.sys bug is because of daemon-tools or Alcohol locking the file. Uninstall either or both and the probllem is fixed.. or just rename it and SP2 will install the newer atapi.sys driver..

So far on 3 machines I've had zero problems.. except the above on 1 machine.. which was easily fixed....

tajddin    1
Yeah that's annoying. Disabling the security center service will sort that out though.

...There is an option to configure the alerts in the Security Center. You can disable them from there.

bush    0
Good to know that i am not the only one facing " possible " memory leak on right-clicking .....

well i am thinking does this have 2 do anything with nvidia drivers ? although i have the "nvidia display driver " service disabled and even nview disabled.

i doubt, because i don't have any nvidia drivers installed. only xp default.

macmax    14

hmmm what's the reg tweak for right click tat will solve the so called memory leak.

canadian397    0

same here, on all 3 of my systems

Inq    0

My monitor, samsung 959nf, went out of range on boot. Dunno wtf windows tried to force it, 200hz@1600*1200???

Booted up on safe mode, deleted radeon drivers that resulted in 3 consequent bsod's.

Well atleast the uninstall works.....

What a piece of ****

Phemo    45
...There is an option to configure the alerts in the Security Center. You can disable them from there.

Yeah but then you still have the annoying icon in the system tray. Waste of space on my taskbar :)

BoDEAN    68

Page_fault BSOD when installing Audigy 2 cd, and the webupdates for Audigy 2

Dont know if its a bug or what

But it doesnt like it (hence, no sound yet in xp2)

tajddin    1
Yeah but then you still have the annoying icon in the system tray. Waste of space on my taskbar :)

After configuring the alerts, the little icon is not there for me.

-=SD=-    0

No, at the security center on the left with the text links, the bottom one will let you uncheck alerts which takes off the system tray icon.

L3thal    2

Seems like they moved the title bar location. It's getting me aggravated :angry:

post-83-1091933568.jpg

icecaveman    0

L3thal what the **** do you mean? All I can see wrong is that you are using the roayle skin

L3thal    2

The letters on my windows title bar are on the left side. Used to be in the center. Unless of course if its the theme that's causing it.

Edit: Nevermind, it's the damn theme causing it :pinch: