• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

XP SP2 BUG's

Joseph Zollo    6

One system on SP2 (Slipstream) is experiencing no problems at all, but the other (Also Slipstreamed) is getting those right click problems with explorer.exe.

l0g0ut    0

my canon all-in-one printer does not work anymore... using latest driver available on web. tried slipstremed and also update from SP1

Blodia    0

I slipstreamed SP2 and installed a fresh copy of XP. Only prob I found is when I installed NAV, live update wont connect, and if you try to open NAV, nothing happens. Its still in the system tray icon however. Hopefully the patch thats coming on the 10th will fix this..Either that or its my end thats having the probs..I didnt have any probs with sp1.

VG11489    0

ya ur not the only one I will be waiting for that norton patch too no live update or internet sercurity

OctoPussy    14
Uninstalled SP2 and got these speeds...

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 3240 Kbps about 3.2 Mbps (tested with 748 KB)

Download Speed is:: 396 KB/sec

Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net/

Bottom Line:: 58 times faster than 56K you can download 1MB in 2.59 second(s)

Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/cgi-bin/get.cgi?Test_ID=OIF8RT1AR

I have installed SP2 on a Pentium II laptop with 192 MB of RAM!!!! It works like a charm with no issues at all. FYI, i didnt have much 3rd party software on this laptop. The issues which people seems to be facing is because some 3rd software might not be compatible with SP2. I would recommend uninstalling them (if not absolutely necessary).

My Comcast connection works great too. Getting 2.3 Mbps. I used to get as much before on Sp1 too.

Blodia    0

K nevermind, after a couple of minutes NAV crashes..oh well. Lets hope I dont get a virus or anything, heh.

macmax    14

yeah cool !!!!!!

Un-installed Divx,Dr.Divx and all the other codecs Works fine now :)

No-Right click prob for me :)

But when i do right-click on say any .AVI file and click Properties tab it takes a WHILE to get the window displayed ..... Not the problem with other files like .MPEG .DAT or other .exe's

P.S-good right click prob was not cos of nVIDIA drivers.Bt i wish they released new drivers for SP2 & DOOM 3

macmax    14

Ahh and as for Nero6 having probs with SP2 i just disabled this windows service

"IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service" and Nero6 works fine :)

uniacid    0

hmmm I've had no problems at all with my sp2, I installed it on both my desktop and laptop

Nomad_    87

I am not having any problems with SP2 on any of my systems, I also don't have any problems with my comcast download speed

Aphax    0

Got a clean slipstreamed installation of Windows XP + SP2 here, haven't experienced any of the problems described in this thread.

furby    0

Startup time seems to have slowed, only mildy annoying. And messenger seems to have become slightly more bloated :wacko:

post-83-1091963705.jpg

Tailwind    329

Nothing really different for me. Only it seems a tad slower starting up too.

yayo    0

Dunno if its just me, but mouse movement in Adobe products such as PS and Illustrator seem jaggid. For instance, the lasso tool in PS. This problem only has come about after installing SP2.

SIG    0
Startup time seems to have slowed, only mildy annoying. And messenger seems to have become slightly more bloated  :wacko:

ehe. There were always problems with the add/remove thingy (at least for me). For some programs it doesn't display the correct ammount of space. That one is not SP2 related :p

mongoled    0

After customizing the start menu properties, i no longer have the option to right click. Right-clicking does nada, just diassapeared, must be some reg entry needs hacking to get it working again. Anyone got any ideas?

:rolleyes:

Chrysalis    13

added bloat is a common feeling if you dont integrate install.

349857345    0

1. Start up time

2. I cant open "Set up a home network"!!!! :( in network connections, oh and no connections are listed there either :|, I need a fix bad.

349857345    0

I cant open my network connections because the windows firewall wont start, but my net still works :|

Cause I'm on a LAN behind a router, and I need the other computer to browse my files (I can browse other comp), but all this was fine until SP2!! :angry:

post-83-1091971055.jpg

Edited by simmo

-Medic-    0

After slipstreamed ...install it yesterday and it works fine ... playing online it works fine too no problem with a firewall ... everything is Fine :)

Dazzla    5

I had one, it involved a xvid video file and Nics xvid binary. When simply clicking on the video file within a folder with common tasks on, DEP kicked in and ended explorer.exe. Don't know how much of it could be placed at Nics binary or MS's SP2, but it was weird nonetheless. Especially when you consider Koepis binary is fine. I'm not quite sure how a video preview constitues an attack on the system though :huh:

Here's the asmusing screencap of DEP telling my Explorer is unsafe :rofl:

DEP.png

And attached is the video of DEP crashing explorer:

Max    50

I have installed SP2 update on two machines, both had been reformatted and installed October 2003. Working flawlessly.

I slipstremed a CD....installed fresh on my old Celeron 1.3Ghz and on a customers AMD Athlon 1Ghz laptop. Also working flawlessly.

EDIT: Yes, actually there was one minor problem with this PC. I called my IE favourites "Maxim's Favourites" on the D:\ drive. IE was pointing to this directory to read the favourites. It had a normal folder icon. Once SP2 was installed, the icon changed to the standard favourites 'star' and the name was changed back to 'Favourites'. However, IE still read the files. I just changed the icon back to the standard folder and renamed it back.

Edited by absolutemaxpayne.co.uk

+s55    2

I had the beta for all of a day and then decided it was too much bother to fix the extremely large list of problems.... well over 100 on my system.... nothing worked right and it was real sluggish..

So me is just gonna stay away from sp2 and live with sp1.... pah who needs ms's security updates when if u set the system up properly urself its no problem. grrrr waste of time! waste of 4 days rebuilding the system

I8PP    11

Slipstreamed SP2 unattended install.

The only thing wrong at the moment is that my right ALT-key +some number i'm not going to disclose (along with the rest of the password :rolleyes:) doesn't work at the login screen, only the left one works :huh:. But starts to works after loging in :wacko:. If the right ALT key + numbers registers as a character at the login screen for you guys and gals, then i buggered up my regional settings in my winnt.sif.

Edit: SP2 came from WindowsBeta.