Need Logo for New Site

Question

I am looking for someone to create a new logo for a web site that I will be creating in the near future. The site is called "WinHangar" (basically meaning a place to hang out for Windows' fans). The location of this site will be "http://www.winhangar.com". Don't bother going there yet for as there is nothing there. :)

This web site we will be feature news, forums, and etc. I may also be offering hosting and e-mail in the future.

I am looking for a logo that can be described in two words:

cool and wicked

In otherwords, when you see the logo, I want the user to :woot: *grin*

I would like a logo that has cool colors and a nice font for any text. The logo should be some type of image that we can use next to names/tables and on business cards (if I ever make any). Since the logo will be created first, the theme of the web site will be created based on the logo (and I will be asking someone here to do a theme in the near future).

This logo does not have to be business professional. I would like the logo to be more eye catching than looking professional (if that makes any sense).

I will give two weeks for all submissions. Please post all submissions to this thread. If after the two weeks, I find a submission that I like, that individual will receive the following:

1) $30.00 US funds via PayPal

2) Once the site is completed, you will receive recongization for your work at the bottom of the site with a link to any web site you may currently have (i.e. Logo created by John Doe).

3) If interested, you can become a Moderator on the site when the site launches.

Please note that the rights of the logo becomes ownership of WinHangar.com once the winner has received payment.

Good luck to all!

221 answers to this question

Really? Neowin uses a Microsoft Windows logo as the background of their web page. Does that mean Neowin could get sued for using this logo? Also... would Microsoft really be "uptight" about giving permission?

Obviously they are not using a trademarked logo with their logo: ie.. neowin. You dont see Neowin and then the windows flag next to it. THAT my friend is the difference. It is not against copyright laws to use the Windows trademark when associating with Windows. Such as in the background of this page, and in the News when Microsoft Windows is being spoken about. Your example is completely different.

Josh

Obviously they are not using a trademarked logo with their logo: ie.. neowin. You dont see Neowin and then the windows flag next to it. THAT my friend is the difference. It is not against copyright laws to use the Windows trademark when associating with Windows. Such as in the background of this page, and in the News when Microsoft Windows is being spoken about. Your example is completely different.

Josh

You raise a very good point.

Maybe the SAFEST thing to do is to try to abstain from using the Windows logo directly in the logo for my new site. I don't want to waste someone's hard work just because of a "legal" issue.

So please note for everyone who is trying to create a logo for this competition, please abstain from using the Windows logo when trying to create a logo for my site.

Sorry for the inconvenience guys... but like I said eariler, little me doesn't want the big Microsoft police to come after me. :)

Post # 200 guys!!! :) Woo hoo!!! :)

Okay... here's a list of all the logos posted so far. Anything marked with a :woot: means that the logo has made it to the final round of choices so far. Here we go:

Rolando's Logo (Posted: Aug 8 2004, 00:57): Incorporates Windows Logo (can't use)

Payton's Logo (Posted: Aug 8 2004, 00:56): Incorporates Windows Logo (can't use)

Legion's Logo (Posted: Aug 8 2004, 07:12): Incorporates Windows Logo (can't use)

Liquid's Logo (Posted: Aug 8 2004, 07:18) - No comment! :)

Hava333's Logo (Posted: Aug 8 2004, 16:30)

Scazza's Logo (Posted: Aug 8 2004, 18:06)

.will's logo (Posted: Aug 9 2004, 00:01)

.will's logo (Posted: Aug 9 2004, 00:02)

.will's logo (Posted: Aug 9 2004, 00:04)

Rolando's Logo (Posted: Aug 9 2004, 02:13): Incorporates Windows Logo (can't use)

anamericangod's Logo (Posted: Aug 9 2004, 02:30)

NFDC's Logo (Posted: Aug 9 2004, 02:58)

Relativity_17's Logo (Posted: Aug 9 2004, 03:34): Incorporates Windows Logo (can't use)*

NFDC's Logo (Posted: Aug 9 2004, 17:03): Incorporates Windows Logo (can't use)

Bluetooth's Logo (Posted: Aug 9 2004, 17:48)

NFDC's Logo (Posted: Aug 9 2004, 18:28)

NFDC's Logo (Posted: Aug 9 2004, 20:29)

.will's Logo (Posted: Aug 9 2004, 23:39)

.will's Logo (Posted: Aug 9 2004, 23:46)

.will's Logo (Posted: Aug 9 2004, 23:55)

.will's Logo (Posted: Aug 9 2004, 23:57): :woot: (Finals!!!)

NFDC's Logo (Posted: Aug 10 2004, 00:41)

Rolando's Logo (Posted: Aug 10 2004, 01:25): Incorporates Windows Logo (can't use)*

NFDC's Logo (Posted: Aug 10 2004, 01:46): Incorporates Windows Logo (can't use)

*Relativity_17 & Rolando - Can you redo this without the Windows logo? It would have been in the final round if it didn't have the Windows logo. Please let me know.

So far we have one logo in the final round with just over a week to go.

I would like to thank Rolando, Payton, Legion, Liquid (*grin*), Hava333, .will, anamericangod, NFDC, Bluetooth, and Relativity_17 for their postings.

There is still over a week to go in this competition. Please remember that the logo cannot contain any Windows logos (due to potential legal issues). Everyone is doing a great job! :)

Thanks again and you guys rock!

Bah. Just finished screwing aruond with it to see this...

Alright, here's what you would have gotten with the Windows logo... I'll fix something up when (if) I get back online...

I'm off to install SP2 now (reformatting and all), so I might be gone for tonight... Uhh, actually, considering my luck, I might be gone for a few days...

So, wish me luck, because I've never actually done this whole reformat/reinstall thing with XP before... :(

post-31-1092114456.png

Now that I have a better idea of what style you are looking for (.will's finals entry), I can make another logo to suit you better. Sorry about everyone who submitted windows flag entries. I just would hate to see the site ruined by microsoft, and this encourages creativity all the more, so dont worry, theres a whole week left of the competition.

Those are just banner logos. It's not Neowin's main logo as see at the top of each web page. :)

Once again you guys are doing a great job. I see some more logos that are going to make it to the final round. I will post an update of who is in the final round so far tomorrow. :) Keep'em coming guys. :)

It doesn't matter where you display the windows logo, it is still subject to the same copyrights... If Microsoft wanted to take legal action against sites that displayed their logo, they can, but they obviously don't. :crazy:

post-31-1092182493.png

i suggest for all future submissions - i wouldnt use the windows flag in your design. i personally dont feel its worth the risk. also its unoriginal :(.

andy - that looks beautiful (Y). however im worried about the similarities to the office 2003 logo :(.

just my two cents