XPSP2 and Windows Update V4

Windows Update v5 sucks..for me anyway.

It never wants to work and always returns some error as to why it can't work.

this may be due to my overwhelming need to screw around with my system with disabling services and device drivers and just plain registry editing to achieve great performance but v4 worked just fine for me.

this v5 really really sucks and i dont even know if automatic updates is working properly.

i guess the only way to find that out would be to wait for an update to see if it grabs it as i can't access the v5 site w/o errors in the long run.

so here's my question.

is there anyway to revert back to v4 while running sp2???

and if there is a way, will the site keep asking me to upgrade or not?

thanks for any relevant response given.

BTW> i have enabled all associated services with v5 such as BITS, automatic updages, and wahtever else it had said on the site the very first time i tried to go to it, now it says nothing but "windows update has encountered an error" etc etc.

post-11-1091922292.jpg

theres a few files you need to delete, then goto windowsupdate v4 and it will install and work as it did. I cant remember what the files are. might login to betaplace in a bit and find out what they are

I have ActiveX on because it asked me to install the new software for V5 when i first went to it after the SP2 install.

also, i just checked.

and it wont work in IE either.

but since this browser is using the IE engine i dont see why it wouldn't work here as well

V4 did..

Just to double check, i tried going to the update site in IE alone and after a few seconds of "scanning" for custom updates it gave me the dialog to download this file.

v5track.bin

which is

Size: 4 bytes (4 bytes)

Size on disk: 4.00 KB (4,096 bytes)

Figured out how to go back to v4, with the help of Ryan? (friend of mine) who had the same problem before.

for those having trouble with this crazy windows update v5 crap i suggest you do the following....

find these files (Located in system32)

wpdmgr.exe

wuweb.dll

wups.dll

wucltui.dll

delete copy them to another location and delete them from system32 and replace them with the following unzipped attachment files

register the two dlls here by using the following command in the run box or command line

regsvr32 "filename with quotation marks goes here"

and you're all se:D:D

wupdmgr.zip

The actual fix for the v5track.bin problem is as follows. I can't take credit for this; I had the same problem and found it via google. You might get an error with wuauclt.exe-- I did, and it still worked. Hope this helps someone!

Click Start > Run > Type the follow commands in the Open box (one at a time, in sequence):

REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll

REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll

REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\atl.dll

REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll

REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll

Still getting this error and the reqeset to dl that v5track.bin file still after doing the REGsvr etc trick

this is the error

[Error number: 0x8DDD0003]

Network policy settings prevent you from using Windows Update to download and install updates on your computer. If you believe you have received this message in error, please check with your system administrator.

Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem yourself.

Also something else i noticed is that if you right click on my computer and go to properties the autoupdates tab has the options greyed out. Its on disabled but normally you can change it to one of the other options. But they are all greyed out and if i click on the windows update website link it says this

"Windows update was disabled by your system administrator"

But i have always used v4 of the site and never disabled anything. Whats up with that? Lol

But seriously if anyone has any ideas im open to them, thx in advance.

Have you tried adding v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com to trusted sites? Also make sure that the BITS, automatic updates, and application layer gateway services are started. If you _ever_ try to run windows update v5 without these services started you'll need to run the regsvr trick again.

this didnt work for me.. i started all the services, did the regsrv trick.. but i get this error:

[Fehlernummer: 0x80072EFD]

Es ist ein Fehler aufgetreten. Windows Update kann die gew?nschte Seite nicht anzeigen. Die folgenden Ressourcen k?nnen beim Beheben des Problems hilfreich sein:

Optionen zur Selbsthilfe:

Windows Update-Antwortcenter

Windows Update-Problembehandlung

Windows Update-Newsgroups

Optionen f?r technischen Support:

Microsoft-Onlinesupportunterst?tzung (f?r Windows Update-Probleme kostenlos)

Weitere Informationen ?ber Ma?nahmen zum eigenst?ndigen Beheben dieses Problems.

post-11-1092041716.jpg

my brothers pc had the same problem i fixed that by

Registering MSXML3.dll

Start>Run>regsvr32 MSXML3.dll.

Try Winupdate v5 again

Good luck

Restrike... :D

lol ! i disabled my firewall (which didnt say anything IE want to connect somewhere) and it works ?! :woot:

dumb microsoft.. what did they change in Update4.. it worked w/o ANY problems :(

EDIT: svchost.exe wants to connect to windowsupdate port 443

so if you got a firewall blocking svchost to the internet... you have to fix this and dig a hole into it :(

post-11-1092042499.jpg

lol ! i disabled my firewall (which didnt say anything IE want to connect somewhere) and it works ?! :woot:

dumb microsoft.. what did they change in Update4.. it worked w/o ANY problems :(

EDIT: svchost.exe wants to connect to windowsupdate port 443

so if you got a firewall blocking svchost to the internet... you have to fix this and dig a hole into it :(

:D i'm glad to see that you fixed it

Another way which does not require modification of any system files or settings would be to:

step1- go to windowsupdate v5 like you normally would

step2- click "Administrator Options"

step3- click the "Windows Update Catalog" link

you can also skip step1-3 by opening this link directly.

step4- click the link that says "Windows Update" on the left.

You're there, WindowsUpdate V4. :cool: No redirection to V5 (at the time of this post).