SP2 TCPIP.SYS

In XP SP2 there is a limit of 10 Concurrent TCP Connections - I made this patch to remove it and make it unlimited.

You will have to run it in safe mode!!!!!!!!!

Please leave feedback/comments/suggestions

Enjoy.

Thanks,

Chris.

prjTCPAttemptsPatch.exe

Edited by CuBie

I've modified one already out there, made a batch file, included instructions.

I have 2 versions, one ups the limit to 50 connections.

The other moves the limit to unlimited, like in SP1.

Keep in mind, this limit is to basically cut down on mass mailer worms.

You should just use the 50 connection one, but it's your call

I'll attach it here to this post.

First the 50 Connection

sp2tcpfix.rar

Says wrong file version when I have final SP2.

That can't happen..

You must not have the 2180 build of SP2 (Well the 2180 Build of TCPIP.SYS)

Im sure of this because it checks the bytes that are going to be changed in TCPIP.SYS, if the bytes dont match the ones from the 2180, it spits an error!

I've modified one already out there, made a batch file, included instructions.

I have 2 versions, one ups the limit to 50 connections.

The other moves the limit to unlimited, like in SP1.

Keep in mind, this limit is to basically cut down on mass mailer worms.

You should just use the 50 connection one, but it's your call

I'll attach it here to this post.

First the 50 Connection

Thanks for hijacking my thread.

It's a tweak... people will use which ever one they want and which ever is easier.

Don't hate the player.. hate the game. ;)

lol *Hates the game - "Dammn you game you peice of junk"*

That's a stupid fix. This limitation is actually a good thing and doesn't affect the average user AT ALL! But now all the people who don't need this fix will in a rush of panic (OMG need fix) apply it and make the world a less safe place. Most don't even understand how it works, it DOES NOT limit the connections.

Talk about sheeps ;)

Edited by thop

thop, STFU - dont want it, dont use it

move along

on a different note, can this be used in a slipped cd of sp2? i.e. can the original tcpip.sys be replaced with this one on the xp sp2 slipped cd?

If it makes you happy install it. Most people don't need it, they will just apply it mindlessly because everyone keeps repeating how bad that new thing is without even knowing what it does. Instead of improving their situation they might actually make it worse.

But i guess sheeps don't listen to the voice of reason ;)

PS. This patch is especially bad because it removes it completely. If you really feel like you need to change sth. then at least get the one that changes the value to 30 or 50. Unlimited is definitely not recommended.

Edited by thop

thop, STFU - dont want it, dont use it

move along

on a different note, can this be used in a slipped cd of sp2? i.e. can the original tcpip.sys be replaced with this one on the xp sp2 slipped cd?

Yes.

You need to make it into a cab file. Then replace it in the i386 dir of your cd.

It _should_ work, no promises though.

Chris.

I was looking into this earlier today and created the compressed cab file that you can use to replace the original file in the I386 directory. A checksum verifier was done prior to creation so it should work.

Don't flame me if it doesn't work on your system. Use at your own risk.

tcpip.sy_

Edited by paratrupr

That's a stupid fix. This limitation is actually a good thing and doesn't affect the average user AT ALL! But now all the people who don't need this fix will in a rush of panic (OMG need fix) apply it and make the world a less safe place. Most don't even understand how it works, it DOES NOT limit the connections.

Talk about sheeps ;)

Well....if i run soulseek after about 5 minutes i get an error report in event viewer saying

"TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."

I'm not applying this or changing anything til a guaranteed fix arrives, but it IS a problem for me.

Oh.......i have had that same warning more than 10 times today alone.