SP2 TCPIP.SYS

it made a huge difference for me. On Limewire Pro when I turned it on (before patch) it would take forever just to connect! The best my connetion would go up to was "poor" to "good". Now when this patch my connection instantly connects and it goes from "good" to "excellent" to "turbo charged" very fast. it also find more songs faster.

thx

will try

because some of my download are stoping @ 99% without a reaseon and sites shows me cannot be displayed, like 20 time allready in the last 3 hours on neowin forums right now

"SP2 limits the number of *incomplete* outbound connections, NOT "the number of simultaneous TCP connections a program can make."

How about inbound connection? Isn't it affected at all? According to the EventID 4226 it says "the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts" (by this Windows user), so apparently accepting connections is not a problem, right? If you run a web server such as Apache on Windows and it has over 100,000 hits a day and have most hits in a specific timeframe in a day, 10 connections/sec can be a problem.

How about inbound connection? Isn't it affected at all? According to the EventID 4226 it says "the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts" (by this Windows user), so apparently accepting connections is not a problem, right? If you run a web server such as Apache on Windows and it has over 100,000 hits a day and have most hits in a specific timeframe in a day, 10 connections/sec can be a problem.

If you have a server with over 100,000 hits a day, and you run it on Windows XP, I feel sorry for you. The lack of security alone, compared to Win2k3 makes it a very bad choice.

Finally, it was also pointed out early in the thread that this might be a good patch for those hosting websites.

*sigh* What problem?

eMule etc works just fine without this (at least according to users on their forum), Windows XP isn't dropping any connections, etc.

I upgraded to SP2 before rollig it out to my company

-eMule works fine (after firewall is configured properly)

-browser works fine

-mail client works fine

but there is another pc

-connects via internet connection sharing

-eMule works a little shabby (firewall on gateway etc...)

-no pop access the first few tries

-browser says cannot find server every now and then

GUESS WHY?

Error 4662

Patched and no more problems.

FCUK M$

• 2 weeks later...

hi CuBie or phiberoptik.. does it matter if my system is in spanish? if so.. could you tell me how to modify it or maybe i could send the original to you? Thanks!

mm.. i'ma upload the spanish tcpip.sys file anyway.. to save time if anyone wants to help. Thanks again!

tcpip.zip

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi everyone,

I can see there's not %100 clear if this patch really help anything or not.

Anyway, I wanted to know which lines must be edited in the tcpip.sys file version2685 if I want a limit of 50 connections.

Greetings

Sonny

Hi everyone,

Anyway, I wanted to know which lines must be edited in the tcpip.sys file version2685 if I want a limit of 50 connections.

Greetings

Sonny

586257246[/snapback]

why do some of you always bump the old posts? -_-

-no pop access the first few tries

-browser says cannot find server every now and then

584454406[/snapback]

Now i find that odd, this limit only slows it down, it doesnt stop the connections, so i think you have other problems there.

Hi everyone,

Greetings

Sonny

586257246[/snapback]

no, it does not help.

read: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...hl=tcp/ip+patch

i don't know why this was here, but i'm moving it.

moved

• 3 months later...

I really hate to bump this OLD of a thread, but since there is no apparent conclusion to the 'problem'. I feel justified in doing so. Please forgive me.

I have a theory:

Say you start up emule (or whatever your p2p flavor is) and do a search for a file that you want. Naturally, you'll choose the one with the highest availibility. A popular file can easily have 500 sources. You go a ahead and downlaod a 500 source file. Congratulations, you've just instantly placed 50 seconds worth of connections on the queue.

Next you open IE to check your email. You've probably got 45 seconds left on the queue. Now, I believe IE times out after 15 seconds (maybe 30 I'm not sure). IE dutifully will wait it's 15 seconds, but there will still be 30 seconds on the queue. IE will give up thinking that the connection can't be made and show you a PNF page.

Now add to the mix that a TCP connection attempt also has a timeout . Again I think it's 15 seconds. Now remember that eMule just added 500 connections to the queue. Again that's 50 seconds worth. The TCP stack will dutifully wait it 15 seconds/connection. This is enough time to allow 150 connections. The TCP stack will see the remaining connections as unreachable. and drop them. eMule will eventually retry the dropped connections, but it will take a while.

This is the reason that the tcp limit is hit or miss when affecting users. Some people download lots of files with lots of sources. Some people only download a couple files with few sources.

So, if you do a LOT of high source downloading, and try to browse the web at the same time, you will hit the 'TCP half open connection' brick wall. You may need the patch to fix this.

However, if you just occasionally download a few files, or your downloads are of the rarest breeds, then the TCP patch probably won't make a difference for you.

I hope this makes sense.

• 5 months later...

hi can anyone upload those patches again? i cant seem to download any of them.. thanks a mil

There's a new version of tcpip.sys [5.1.2600.2827] after the windows update from 2/16/2006.

You can patch it with XP-AntiSpy v3.95-2 (Special -> Connection limit...).

btw: It does work if you are using P2P programs -> no more TCP/IP errors in the Event Viewer. :)