• Yes, Mandrake
    • Yes, Debian
    • Yes, Redhat
    • Yes, SuSE
    • Yes, Other
    • Yes, Slackware
    • No, I use Windows
    • No, I use MacOS

linux2: thats alooooooot niceeeeeeer than i could ever do on kde :) n i think u can get the admin to change your name to linux since no one wants it unless that was the name u wanted :s lol

LOL. . . That handle was by choice. And thanks for compliment. Linux/KDE has come a long way just in the last year. The things that can be done with X servers is head and shoulders above where it used to be. As you can tell from the screenie; icons benefit now from anit-aliasing. Alpha blending is being used to. Now if we could just get something like cleartype. . .

Originally posted by Silvorgold

lol kde has changed, theres not much customization on the version of kde i have

And what version would that be? BTW. . .I don't mean to slight the other window managers or Gnome. I understand that Gnome (2.0) users are now finally able to enjoy the anti-aliased text that KDE users have for the last 14 months :lick:

Originally posted by linux2

And what version would that be? BTW. . .I don't mean to slight the other window managers or Gnome. I understand that Gnome (2.0) users are now finally able to enjoy the anti-aliased text that KDE users have for the last 14 months :lick:

Oh no! Not TRIFLES! :o

What ever will we do?

-Hatter

linux2,

you can make that taskbar transparent or skinned and transparent, as well as the windows that pop from it... i did it, but i forgot how i ended up doijng it... just messing with the settings...

try that Gnome/Ximian combo and it will do it for you!!!

i voted that i use windows but i got SuSe too.

most of time u use windows bcoze i'm learning linux right now so i prefer not starting with linux directly:sleeping:

Oh no! Not TRIFLES! :o

What ever will we do?

-Hatter [/b]

AA text is hardly trifling. I KNOW that Gnome users have clamored mightily for this ability. There are certainly some things that other desktop managers do well to.

Originally posted by SonicYouthXY

linux2,

you can make that taskbar transparent or skinned and transparent, as well as the windows that pop from it... i did it, but i forgot how i ended up doijng it... just messing with the settings...

try that Gnome/Ximian combo and it will do it for you!!!

Yes I know. There are a couple of themes/styles that will provide transparency for drop down menus and kicker (the panel). However, Teax has not been ported to KDE3 yet and Liquid (my fav) only works with very recent CVS builds of KDE3. Unfortunately KDE3 beta2 is not recent enough :( Be careful about what you say regarding Gnome's ability to add transparency to it's panel. While there is a "hack" for it, most of the screeshots you see with it are just clever cut-n-paste jobs of the desktop used as the panel background.

Windows 98 on 2 systems, windows 200 server on 1 system, windows XP pro on 1 system, 2 standby system with windows 95 (don't ask why). I also just got a redhat 7.2 system running/online. (that takes care of my bedroom)

Dining room - Windows 98SE

Living room - windows 98SE (soon to go XP pro) (running DVD/entertainment stuff to tv and stereo)

Bathroom - Laptop with 98SE

All system on networked together (duh!) with internet access using cablemodem/dsl router.

Also have 2 systems next door running various things, networked and internet (to this house) - Both use XP pro.

AA text is hardly trifling. I KNOW that Gnome users have clamored mightily for this ability. There are certainly some things that other desktop managers do well to.

I have also seen Gnome users clamor about Translucent menus. That doesn't mean it isn't trifling. IMO Things that don't add functionality or usability to an interface are just trifles.

-Hatter

I've been using Linux for about 4 years, including slackware, redhat, suse, mandrake, prob a couple others.

For the past year I have been using Mandrake at work to monitor & graph about 22 Cisco 6509's and another 40 or so 4006's. Primarily I use MRTG and RRD-Tool to do the graphing for every core port on our switched network. Lately I have been playing around with some perl scripts to analyze the data from MRTG and determine who is using the most bandwidth, highest averages, etc... The scripting power that Linux has allows me to do just about anything that I feel like coding.

One of the best things about Linux is how it handles memory. When I first started running my first server at work it used about 25 MB of the swap file. I added another 128 MB of memory and it hasn't touched the swap file since. The machine is only a 700 mhz and it has no trouble monitoring, graphing, and serving the data via Apache for 30 or more people.

I would find it difficult to run Linux as my only desktop OS but couldn't do without it when it comes to network monitoring.

Originally posted by AGW83

As far as I am concerned, Linux is a POS. It is no doubt a lot less stable than Windows or OS X. Linux is very highly overrated.

And you've used Linux for how long, Troll?

Just a quick screenie of KDE3 final running on Mandrake 8.1

Oooh that looks good , downloading now :)

AGW83 is partly right, Linux is a POS. If you ever used some other UNIX, you will notice it.

--edit--

btw I wouldn't talk so loud about GUI dependant OSes and all that. I bet 80% of you Linux 'freaks' aren't even able to edit the raw config files. Most of you rely on the installer tools shipped with the distro and these stupid KDE tools to do so. And prolly 66% can't even use the command line. :ermm: