Linux=windows95

Please don't pull numbers out of the air.  A google news search for "linux windows market idg" and "linux windows market gartner" give recent articles with the following:

and

If you don't want to discuss, fine.  Simply refrain from posting. :yes:

Please...you want to start quoting then post the WHOLE thing..not just the part that sounds good to linux users..

Gartner will officially announce figures that show Linux has shipped on 5% of all PCs worldwide in 2004. It expects that figure to grow to 7.5% by 2008, but is quick to point out that this is not necessarily a representative figure of the number of Linux PCs being used. The company estimates that perhaps 2% of all PCs shipped worldwide this year will actually be used with Linux, with that figure growing to 3.5% by 2008. Not every PC that ships with a version of Linux continues to run with that, noted Gartner

you see that 2% and that 3.5%? up there? Yea, You see it now don't you....

owned

you see that 2% and that 3.5%? up there? Yea, You see it now don't you....

owned

Funny...

My PC runs Linux.

However, it was sold as a Windows PC, so statistically, I am incorrectly counted as a Windows user.

The margin of error goes both ways, now, doesn't it?

The margin of error goes both ways, now, doesn't it?

considering the great span of percentages between Linux and Windows? No, that margin of error is insignificant

Judging from your past history in Neowin, I don't see you actually changing your mind on this, or much of anything else.

Believe what you like, and go along and play nice.

why bother...you start getting a moderator involved and pretty soon they pull rank becouse they don't like being proven wrong on something....I'll just move along...

why bother...you start getting a moderator involved and pretty soon they pull rank becouse they don't like being proven wrong on something....I'll just move along...

Arguments with mods are fine as long as they don't get out of hand. They don't pull rank just because they're wrong, at least not here.

yea, hypocritical statement coming from a linux moderator...

don't get upset with me becouse I used your own quote against you.

go back under your rock

hah. childish. the fact that you base markjensen as "bias" because he is a linux moderator is a rather

sad attempt at an argument.

,Aug 12 2004, 22:13] You consider a 10 year old an infant? Just because it may be new to you, doesn't mean it's new.

I've been using Linux off and on since 1998. Perhaps I used bad wording. But Linux has really only been a Desktop OS for the regular Consumer for the last few years. I realize how old Linux is, and its only until recently that it hasn't been used exclusively as a server OS or for the diehard computer users.

We shouldn't talk about the age of the Linux kernel. However, since people already have I'll go ahead and squash the argument before anyone has a chance to make it.

Moron idiot troll: Ha ha linux is 10 years old and XP is new blah blah blah

Intelligent person (me): XP uses the NT kernel which is pretty old itself. But it has been updated since then and so has the linux kernel retard!

We shouldn't talk about the age of the Linux kernel. However, since people already have I'll go ahead and squash the argument before anyone has a chance to make it.

Moron idiot troll: Ha ha linux is 10 years old and XP is new blah blah blah

Intelligent person (me): XP uses the NT kernel which is pretty old itself. But it has been updated since then and so has the linux kernel retard!

i also wasnt aware that old things are necesarily bad? :unsure:

No it's just something that stupid people like to rant about. They are obviously too dumb to know that just because it's a new MS OS doesn't mean it's 100% brand spanking new. They then usually throw in a bunch of BS regarding the age of the Linux kernel as if its development were stagnant.

A little something I picked up back when Adequacy.org was still up and running (its an archive only site now).

No it's just something that stupid people like to rant about. They are obviously too dumb to know that just because it's a new MS OS doesn't mean it's 100% brand spanking new. They then usually throw in a bunch of BS regarding the age of the Linux kernel as if its development were stagnant.

A little something I picked up back when Adequacy.org was still up and running (its an archive only site now).

thats the thing, i dont think many people realize the kinda effort designing a kernel is. and plus i guess i can understand microsofts view at it (as well as probably many other peoples): "why knock a 'good' thing".

if there is not serious harm caused by a kernel...why would you even dream of reconstructing it?!

thats why i dont see age as a bad thing.

Okay......im kinda lost on the thread....when did it derail and spin sideways taking out the subway station and several onlookers along the way....before catching on fire and blowing up in a hail of fire and the hint of a mushroom cloud-type explosion that causes the smell of burnt flesh to fill the air.[/pointless and overly-descriptive metaphor]

anyway....i think its to be age-ist toward technology. Just because its older doesn't mean its not better. It just means that it worked... and the motto of diyers around the world....if it works, don't fix it. (or fix it more im not really sure which)

Well as a general rule if you can't even spell Linux (or linuks) or much else for that matter I doubt you can use it. Linux isn't so easy to use, but in a way that might be it's attraction, since some people (such as myself) enjoy the challenge of getting things to work.

If you expect things to work flawlessly every time without expending any real effort, there is no doubt that you will become quickly dissapointed.

GJ

If you expect things to work flawlessly every time without expending any real effort, there is no doubt that you will become quickly dissapointed.

I whole-heartedly agree.

I think MacOS is the only OS that can really make this claim that it just works.

Even Windows has it's problems despite what punters will say. If they weren't having problems a vast majority of them wouldn't need to visit forums such as those at Neowin.

When it comes to GNU/Linux or *BSD it always amazes me how much whining they do when you tell them to RTFM or Google for something. Amazingly they're all to happy to do this when having problems with their Windows box.

When it comes to GNU/Linux or *BSD it always amazes me how much whining they do when you tell them to RTFM or Google for something. Amazingly they're all to happy to do this when having problems with their Windows box.

Funny how that works isn't it? :happy:

Wow this topic has sure gotten crazy since I last read it (first page). I shouldn't be surprised that a 9 page long topic on the *nix forum is just another one of those topics, and not any kind of real intellectual discussion about operating systems, etc.

I agree.

There were some good discussions on and off, but in the end...

* thread closed *

until next time.....