Windows XP and Hibernation Mode

Hi there

I am trialling Windows XP RC1 and I have a query regarding the "Hibernation" mode:

When I click START/Turn of computer, and choose "Standby", (or press the "sleep" button on my keyboard) the computer goes into standby and I can bring it out again by pressing a key or moving the mouse.

When I click START/Turn of computer, press the SHIFT key, the standby icon changes to 'hibernate' and the computer goes into hibernation.

Q: How do you get it out of hibernation? I clicked/moved the mouse and pressed keys but nothing happened, so I pressed the "power-on" button on the base unit and the computer started up with the POST screen and then "resuming windows" on the next.

Is this the way hibernation works?

If it is then surely you maight as well just turn off the computer?

The only advantage I can see is that if you were logged in prior to hibernating, then when you return, you ill still be logged in.

Regards

Dave_the_Scot

Yes, thats the way how it works!

Hibernation saves the exact desktop state and shuts down the computer, so you can resume your work from the point you left when u turn the computer back on.

If you choose to shut down your computer, your desktop's state won't be saved and you won't be able to resume your work the next time you start windows xp. :)

Hi Toxicfume

Many thanks for your response to my post.

I thought that it may work like that, though I was not quite sure, but what happens to the space which is taken up on your hard disk to save the "exact desktop" (in my case - disk space required to hibernate: 512MB) once you have come out of hibernation?

Do you have to delete the saved state or is it automatically reclaimed after coming out of hibernation?

Best regards

Dave