xvid files crash with SP2

After installing SP2 everything works perfectly except some xvid files that I have crash within 2 seconds of starting. Windows media player just closes and I get the error report message. Any ideas why this is happening now with SP2 but not before with SP1, this is a clean install.

you never answered what codec did you have installed before? installing a new codec does nothing if the codec causing the issue is still there.

It used to work without any codecs at all. I just installed the koepi binary and I still get the same problem. Not sure what could be causing this.

What used to work? Playback, or explorer not crashing?

Everything used to work fine without installing a single codec, playback worked fine and there was no crashing. It was just the default WMP codec. The file does start to play and I see video and sound but a few seconds after that it just crashes.

well i definitely didn't install a SINGLE codec when it was working. The only thing I installed was the WMP codec update through windows update, so if that can't decode xvid it must have been magic. What am i supposed to do now?

Good question, I have no idea. But i can tell you for a fact WMP didn't give you the codec or download it. you might download gspot, go to your installed codec's and see what you find.

haha, i swear to you I never downloaded a codec for this and I've reformatted more times than I can count and it worked fine, maybe it automatically chose which codec to use from some other application.

I downloaded gspot and it does detect that it is an xvid file but it uses this codec instead of the xvid one:

(S) --> AVI Splitter --> InterVideo MPEG4 Video Decoder --> ®

How can I change this?

Beautiful, that worked, thanks. Any idea why that happened. I know i've had intervideo's windvd installed before and never had that problem, perhaps it's compatibility issue with SP2? Also what exactly did that line I ran do? It said I unregistered some DLL, will this be a problem for windvd or any other applications?

Might have been something with SP2, not exactly sure. You unregistered the filter (the filter being the AX file). Filter is aka a decoder or codec. That's InterVideos MPEG-4 video decoder. According to the 4cc's in gspot it decodes just about all versions of DivX and then Xvid. It will be a problem if you try and play a Xvid or Divx video in any app (Assuming you uninstall the Xvid codec itself from above). The video will just not play, wmp, for example will tell you error downloading codec. Running WinDVD *must* register it again, i have no idea. If it does, i'm sure you will know.

Is there a way to see what windows is using as a filter for certain file types and control which filter is used rather than having to uninstall the filter alltogether?