XPSP2 won't work on my PC AT ALL

I've tried installing SP2 4/5 times now, and it won't work every time. I've tried using the normal rtm exe, and tried a slipstream install but it never works.

Each time, after it finishes installing, I reboot (like it says so). But when it gets to the boot screen where it says Windows XP with the three scrolling blocks underneath, everything just stops. The 3 blocks go round one, then just stop moving, and there is absolutely nothing happening. Y'know that orange led that flashes when stuff's going on? That doesn't flash at all. So everything just freezes. I either have to repair/reinstall/restore a Norton Ghost image.

I used the same exe on my bro's pc, it worked fine. I downloaded it again from MS, but it still wouldn't work. Same problem.

So, I just wanted to know how I can inform Microsoft of this problem(?)

(And if anyone knows why this is happening, let me know)

I have a Asus Terminator T2-P (here is where i bought it from). I've tried installing it on top of Home Edition and Pro, but it doesn't work with either. I'm running Pro atm.

Edited by Bhav

dying hdd perhaps? if the install works on ya bros comp and not yours, theres something wrong with your previous xp install. or your master boot record or mbr has been corrupt for some reason, try recovery console from the xp cd type "fixmbr" i think.

um...i think my hdd is fine. it's new and works perfectly with sp1 installed.

i was thinking it might be a hardware issue, rather than something being wrong with a previous xp install, because i've done clean installs of both home and pro, but to no avail.

Have you tried updating the BIOS & drivers on your mobo? I have a friend who had to do that with a P4P800 Asus board to get SP2 to work. Worth a try maybe?

Have you tried updating the BIOS & drivers on your mobo? I have a friend who had to do that with a P4P800 Asus board to get SP2 to work. Worth a try maybe?

Updating BIOS might work, but how old is this machine? I just installed SP2 on a REAL old (1998) Packard Bell that has never had the BIOS updated yesterday with no problems, other than it took an hour and 2 minutes to install!!

no program issues. i had a look at that list earlier, but since i can't get into xp, i can't access any of those programs anyway.

it's a very new pc, only got it about a month and a half ago. i had already updated the bios before trying to install sp2 the first time.

-- "i had already updated the bios before trying to install sp2 the first time"

maybe that's why it doesn't work ,try moving back to the original bios that you had

-- "i had already updated the bios before trying to install sp2 the first time"

maybe that's why it doesn't work ,try moving back to the original bios that you had

You could try making the bios as ?safe? as possible,

Some examples:

Disable IDE bus mastering, can affect reading from disk during boot (if present)

Disable all video and system shadowing

Disable parallel and serial ports (you probably don?t use these anyway)

Disable AGP fast reads and writes

Slow down the memory settings to normal (normal, fast, turbo)

Ensure Video and USB have Irq?s assigned (by the system)

I think i'll try reverting to an older version of my bios, before i start fiddling with stuff in it. I use the parallel port, and i want agp fast write to be honest.