udma / pio mode problem

Hi guys. I'm totally confused now...I have an IBM drive that says in the bios boot it is a udma 5 drive....but it shows up in PIO mode. here's my setup.

ASUS A7V

primary ide cable:

dev. 0 - IBM DTLA 307045 - PIO MODE

dev. 1 - WDC AC20400D - ULTRA DMA MODE 4

secondary ide cable:

dev. 0 - TDK CDRW 161040X - PIO MODE

dev. 1 - IOMEGA 100 ZIP - PIO MODE

Last I checked...pio sucks, right? what's going on? when I used to have win 9X I used to enable DMA on the ibm drive and my system would crash..no way to reverse it...now it automatically detects the mode....what's going on????? if anyone can help or needs more info on my system, let me know. Any help would be appreciated....thanks.....

Eric

Hi Eric.

-Go into Device Manager

-Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

-Go into the properties of both Primary and Secondary IDE Channels

-Click the Advanced Settings tab

-Change the drop down box from "PIO Only" to "DMA if available" where appropriate.

Thanks Spyder, but yesterday I figured it out....

as to your post, yeah, that was the first thing i did...it always said "DMA if available" my one drive was, but the other wasn't.

To solve, I needed to download an IBM program that let me set the drive UDMA mode to mode 4 via a dos boot disk..then I had to start windows and delete the "VIA BUS MASTER IDE" thing and then restart. When it reinstalled it, it picked it up as UDMA mode 4. Got rid of the stuttering, the popping of sound in the vortex card...and sped up my boot time. Everything is running smoothly.

Ironically, this is a problem that bothered me for a year......through windows ME.... finally solved. yes....

eric