[Olympics] Paul Hamm wins Men's all around

Paul Hamm with an incredible comeback wins the Men's All Around in Gymnastics.

But I thought the final scoring was a bit biased. Paul performed beautifully, but so did the previous two Koreans. The Koreans got much lower scores. Heh. I don't know; Maybe Paul's final event's difficulty was much higher, but I can't tell. They all seemed the same difficulty to me, but Paul got the much higher score.

China would have won if it wasn't for that careless mistake.

I agree, the judges screwed up a couple of scores imo, but his last routine was perfect. It was the best one I have ever seen and it's my opinion he deserved the gold.

But I thought the final scoring was a bit biased. Paul performed beautifully, but so did the previous two Koreans. The Koreans got much lower scores. Heh. I don't know; Maybe Paul's final event's difficulty was much higher, but I can't tell. They all seemed the same difficulty to me, but Paul got the much higher score.

Those three releases in a row he had really upped the difficulty of his, over the others... I thought the whole thing was awesome.

shows those commentators after they ****ing pounded him about it... jesus christ, he messed up, you dont have to keep going on and on and on about he screwed up. i dont think those commentators give the athletes as much respect as they deserve.

but yeah, he deserved it, he did an amazing job coming back from last place!

Link

"The judges' error is confirmed," an FIG news release said. "The FIG executive committee has decided to suspend the technical officials concerned pending inquiry."

The one consolation for the Koreans is that the officials responsible face reprimand and punishment.

I knew there was something wrong with Hamm's final score.

The South Korean's challenged the final rankings, and thus after some inspection, it seems the judges involved has been suspended. They're not allowed to change the metal standings though.

I feel sorry for the Korean. Because of biased refs, he lost his dream.

Edited by Squibbles

Gold medal was given "by mistake" to white American instead of Yang, South Korean. Medal will not be given to Yang despite the incontrovertible fact that he scored better than Hamm.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...id=554&ncid=716

Paul Hamm (news - web sites)'s gold medal just lost some of its luster. A mistake in scoring of the all-around gymnastics final cost Yang Tae-young the gold that ended up going to Hamm, the International Gymnastics Federation said Saturday. The South Korean got the bronze instead. Three judges were suspended, but the FIG said the results would not be changed, and that Hamm would keep his gold medal.

i think they should give the South Korean a gold medal. it takes alot to admit when you're wrong and say hey well we made a mistake and here's your gold. you lost the gold because of OUR error not anything on your part. of course all the organizations involved with the olympics have none of that integrity so, what can i say.

i think that South Korea should have tried to protested at the moment they noticed the scoring error, not after the fact, but the point is they did protest and there was an error so the right thing should be done. once again judges screw up and it's not fair to Paul or Yang.

The korean should've gotten the gold medal also...

Remember the 2002 figure skating incident where the gold went to russians i think?

Korea is challenging it and most likely will get a gold.

This is different than the 2002 French judge scandal. In 02, she knowingly scored them low, on purpose so the Russian skaters would win. This is an unintentional mistake, and if you are going to start giving people golds because of judging mistakes, you can just stop now and give everyone who competes in a judged event a gold medal. Human error is the biggest part of a judged event, and that cannot be changed. All the time during the events the commentators where saying certain scores seemed "a little high" or "too high" or "a little low" or "too low". Its a judged event. Its not perfect. The gymnasts know that going in.

This is what i found...

Here's the page with commentary

http://www.livingroom.org.au/cgi-bin/MT/mt...i?entry_id=4862

what the hell?!

hamm definitely fell and rolled to the judges

when he landed yet still won the competition

that korean guy completed his routine

perfectly and recieved 9.4 something

and what did the amercian get?

9.1 for falling on his face

nice one, judges

well bribed!

Posted by what at August 19, 2004 10:52 AM

I totally agreed! The Korean was robbed of Gold and Silver respectively.

Posted by at August 19, 2004 01:56 PM

Amazing, That was an incredible comeback, although he did need some help from those koreans who took for granted on the last rountine that they would win. That's the United States for you, we're just incredible. Judges being bribed you say? Quit making damn excuses and face the facts.

Posted by thats right at August 19, 2004 01:58 PM

I'm astonished. Hamm did a fantastic job on the high bar, but the fact remains: He fell flat on his bottom. I understand that handing him a gold makes better drama for the TV viewers and all, but this is absurd. He did not deserve the gold medal.

Posted by Andy at August 19, 2004 02:03 PM

Poor and incompetent judging. The Koreans were much better than Paul, and I'm sure Paul knows that he got lucky with the judges.

Btw, are they making up for the controversy about rules changes in the team competition?

Posted by yeahRight at August 19, 2004 02:17 PM

strange is all i can say per hamm's gold. after his fall on the vault, the greats of the world seemed to "slip" on what seemed to be easy sections of their routines....very strange indeed!

Posted by the_dude at August 19, 2004 02:42 PM

racial discrimination

Wel, if you watched today's broadcast, in the opening they discussed the issue with one of the gymnastics TV announcers. He gave a very detailed explanation of what happened. Basically, one of the judges didn't give the Korean his full bonus inclusion; I think you get 1.2 points and the judge gave him 0.9 or something. In order to get the bonus you must meet a series of qualifiers. They replayed his routine and counted the 5 qualifiers and he should have been given a 1.2. The final score would have been the Korean winning by .223 points or something. So, even though Hamm fell, that wasn't the reason for the poorly judged outcome.

This reminds me of the ice skating debacle a couple years ago with the Canadian and Russian teams. Hamm would have silvered anyway, so why not just give the gold to the Korean?

racial discrimination

:laugh:

Sorry, I just have to laugh at that. I think Hamm probably got handed a gold he didn't deserve, but it wasn't racially motivated, I'd think. If it was that's just amazing.

Gold medal was given "by mistake" to white American instead of Yang, South Korean. Medal will not be given to Yang despite the incontrovertible fact that he scored better than Hamm.

Don't you dare turn this into a race bit. :angry:

Wel, if you watched today's broadcast, in the opening they discussed the issue with one of the gymnastics TV announcers. He gave a very detailed explanation of what happened. Basically, one of the judges didn't give the Korean his full bonus inclusion; I think you get 1.2 points and the judge gave him 0.9 or something. In order to get the bonus you must meet a series of qualifiers. They replayed his routine and counted the 5 qualifiers and he should have been given a 1.2. The final score would have been the Korean winning by .223 points or something. So, even though Hamm fell, that wasn't the reason for the poorly judged outcome.

This reminds me of the ice skating debacle a couple years ago with the Canadian and Russian teams. Hamm would have silvered anyway, so why not just give the gold to the Korean?

I think that because the Koreans didn't protest the score at the time of the event, they don't get the gold.

But according to FIG rules, judges' marks cannot be changed after the competition. As it stands, Yang finished third with 57.774 points to win the bronze. His teammate, Kim Dae-Eun won silver with 57.811 points. And Paul Hamm had 57.823 points.

Source