Why should I upgrade to SP2?

several windows core system files have been recompiled in SP2.

it's like a new OS in a way...

it's not bad idea to put off updating if it gives you too many problems.

I'm saying is that your avoiding reasons TO upgrade. It makes most systems a littlebit faster, not much, but a little. It has overrun protection features in it, and if your hardware supports it, hardware based protection as well. It rolls up all your updates too. I find these compelling reasons to upgrade. As for the software that doesnt work, those software companies could have ordered the SP2 SDK (which by the way, Microsoft knew this would happen and offered it to software companies FOR FREE) months ago. I'm actually surprised that Symantec didn't have an update for this already.

For me, just the integrated pop-up blocker in IE is enough (rather than having to use a 3rd party program).

Oh, and I also like the far greater flexibility with the many additional options provided for group policy management in the domain.

But, of course, none of these will be acceptable to you.

There are none so blind as though who will not see.

I'm saying is that your avoiding reasons TO upgrade. It makes most systems a littlebit faster, not much, but a little. It has overrun protection features in it, and if your hardware supports it, hardware based protection as well. It rolls up all your updates too. I find these compelling reasons to upgrade. As for the software that doesnt work, those software companies could have ordered the SP2 SDK (which by the way, Microsoft knew this would happen and offered it to software companies FOR FREE) months ago. I'm actually surprised that Symantec didn't have an update for this already.

OK, I have a dumb question...why is it M$ would release a SP that is so widely incompatible with SO MANY third party applications?

This wasn't an issue with SP1, so why is it with SP2? :wacko:

I have a ton of older programs I use that are no longer supported, should I have to lay out cash to by newer versions that offer no real advantages, or even worse yet give up programs that are unreplacable?

It sounds to me it is M$ that has its head on backwards, not the non-M$ software companies. :no:

:p I still have my SP2_RC2 and have no problems at all

and now I have SP2 from Automatic Updates on hold.

If u want to know that symatec have updated, Live Updates

go to site symatec response center home page scroll down

and it will say something about microsoft.

my live Update is been updated yesturday

I think Its people choice what they want to do if they want to down load sp2 or not

for me I am going to waite for SP3 to come out

I still a bit on the no download side

I have no problems with SP2_RC2 at all

and at a very fast speed too

that I still have

ops sorry about spelling

For me, just the integrated pop-up blocker in IE is enough (rather than having to use a 3rd party program).

Oh, and I also like the far greater flexibility with the many additional options provided for group policy management in the domain.

But, of course, none of these will be acceptable to you.

There are none so blind as though who will not see.

omniphile

Neowinian

Group: Registered

Member No.: 67,584

Hello Mr. I just signed up to make this post! :laugh:

Your boss isn't named Bill Gates is he???

In addition to all the noob stuff how about

Improved wireless support

Bluetooth technologies

DirectX update

Windows Update Services

You will be stuck with V4. Windows Update Services, previously known as Software Update Services (SUS), can help administrators more efficiently deploy and manage updates across networks. Inaddition you will also not have...

New update categories to help you choose. "High priority" updates are a new category on the Windows Update Web site, along with optional software and hardware categories. High priority updates can include critical and security-related updates, service packs, and update rollups. When you use the new Express install option, Windows Update automatically lists all high priority updates for your PC so you can start installing them with one click. Learn more about types of updates offered by Microsoft.

? Easier update selection. If you choose Express install, Windows Update automatically lists all high priority updates for your PC. But if you want to install all available updates at one time, including optional updates and drivers, you can now select them with one click after you choose Custom Install.

? Smarter updates. Some updates still need to be installed separately before they can take effect. Now you can select these updates up front and install them whenever it's convenient?without backtracking or recreating your list. And if an update replaces or includes any other updates, you only see the latest, most complete options. You don't have to try to choose between current and previous versions.

? More information about drivers and updates. You asked for more information about what you're installing. Updates now contain a consistent set of information that you can review before you install each one. Just click the Details link in the update description. You'll also see information from Microsoft Device Manager to explain why you are offered particular drivers.

We all know you are running Enterprise AV (pinch me) but does it offer boot-time protection?

Boot-time security

In earlier versions of Windows, there was a small window of time between the network starting and the firewall becoming active, leaving your computer vulnerable for that brief period time.

In Service Pack 2, during startup and shutdown, the firewall driver uses a rule called a boot-time filter to help prevent attacks during those brief periods. Once Windows Firewall is up and running, it loads your custom firewall settings and removes the boot-time filters. This makes your computer less vulnerable to attacks during startup and shutdown operations.

Is your E AV sitting on a server protecting your network? Stateful packet inspection? Circuit filtering? Application filtering and stateful inspection? SSL-to-SSL Bridging?

You're dam tootin' I'm scared...scared of going back to crash & burn like it was before SP1. :rolleyes:

Just because Bill Gates & Co. release something don't mean I'm gonna run out and buy it, especially if it means hours and hours of work...time is $$$ for me.

When M$ released SP1a, I stuck with SP1 cause I wanted to keep Java Virtual Machine in SP1, so much for being up-to-date...LOL! :rofl:

BTW, I started this thread to see if I was really missing out on anything with SP2...so far, ZILCH!!!

Thats NADA for all you hispanic speakin folks out there!!! :alien:

OTher than it has a better bluetooth implementation I don't really have anything to say to you than STFU.

Go back to win3.1 - look, nearly no problems, and its old. oMg TeH CoOl FaCtOr....

i believe if you are comfortable with the way your XP system is performing at the moment then you should perhaps think carefully about installing SP2. So far i have read very few reports about system performance improvemants after a SP2 install. i have a popup blocker and firewall. i have no need for bluetooth or the Security Center or the limit of half open connections via tcpip.sys and so on...

OK, I have a dumb question...why is it M$ would release a SP that is so widely incompatible with SO MANY third party applications?

This wasn't an issue with SP1, so why is it with SP2? :wacko:

I have a ton of older programs I use that are no longer supported, should I have to lay out cash to by newer versions that offer no real advantages, or even worse yet give up programs that are unreplacable?

It sounds to me it is M$ that has its head on backwards, not the non-M$ software companies. :no:

Most of the so called Incompatabilities come from the Windows firewall and programs that were used to communicating with something outside. Because your running a third party firewall you don't need to worry really just turn off the windows firewall. I use several programs on what is really a not a massive incompatibility list and they all run fine.

Any respectable company will mre than likely release patches for any software that run incorrectly anyway so I wouldn't worry too much.

Granted, SP2 was mainly aimed at stopping security issues for the average pc user. I personally run it because I just stay up to date with everything out of religion (after testing first of course).

I really dislike your posting style though, if MS are so bad why are you using their software? Its run fast and efficient without a crash on my boxes since I first installed it, have you ever though these "crash & burn" scenarios might be something your doing wrong?

I might be wrong but I think in future hotfixes will only be distributed through WU V5 and not the old V4, so that would be reason enough wouldn't it? unless of course you scrutinise every hotfix aswell.

So sorry...I'm not one of those n00b Windows users that lets hackers into his PC(s) uninvited...

IMHO, most of impetus for XP SP2 was for the morons running around the internet without a firewall and running some worthless A/V like NAV...

Your thinking is akin to a knee-jerk reaction - If it's good for the flock then everyone has to do it...even if it means dumbing down the whole enchilada.

From what I can see, there ain't a whole lot of "GOOD" reasons to switch...a lot of people are in a world of hurt because of "XP SickPack 2"! :wacko:

lol.

Well, other than the occassional "SP2 makes my machine fly" or the gratitious "Do it cause it's the latest & greatest" I haven't read ONE reason to upgrade to XP SP2 that has anything to do with a documented improvement, unless your some n00b that has never run a third party firewall, enterprise level A-V or spyware-adware remover...

Come on, tell of me of one improvement M$ implemented in SP2 that's gonna be worth sorting through dozens of program incompatibilities! Just ONE! :pinch:

BTW, I think the reason most people have perceived performance boosts is due to clean installs removing clutter or the "plecebo" effect! LOL :rofl:

And as for my 8 PCs, I run a small business and use them daily for that purpose (except for one I run in my studio). :whistle:

I agreed 100%

So sorry...I'm not one of those n00b Windows users

Well judging by your question, you obviously ARE a n00b Windows users! If you don't install SP2, it will come to a point that you won't be able to install new hot fixes, just like when SP1 came out.

I didn't ran into any problem with SP2. Everything is fine.

IMHO, most of impetus for XP SP2 was for the morons running around the internet without a firewall and running some worthless A/V like NAV...

WTF ?!?! SP2 doesn't include an AV anyway.

ABC and a half!

Installed SP2 on all 4 of my XP systems, 3 Pro's and 1 Home Edition. Made sure all were defragged and cleaned very well before installing. Not a single problem with a single program. Did make all systems snappier. Disabled security center, popup blocker, auto updates and all that stuff also.

You're dam tootin' I'm scared...scared of going back to crash & burn like it was before SP1. :rolleyes:

Just because Bill Gates & Co. release something don't mean I'm gonna run out and buy it, especially if it means hours and hours of work...time is $$$ for me.

When M$ released SP1a, I stuck with SP1 cause I wanted to keep Java Virtual Machine in SP1, so much for being up-to-date...LOL! :rofl:

BTW, I started this thread to see if I was really missing out on anything with SP2...so far, ZILCH!!!

Thats NADA for all you hispanic speakin folks out there!!! :alien:

rofl.

well if your that scared about sp2 why dont u grab a trial of virtual pc, install xp and all ure apps then upgrade that to sp2.

if ure not a n00b then you should have no trouble doing this ;)

Installed SP2 on all 4 of my XP systems, 3 Pro's and 1 Home Edition. Made sure all were defragged and cleaned very well before installing. Not a single problem with a single program. Did make all systems snappier. Disabled security center, popup blocker, auto updates and all that stuff also.

disabling helps too!

<Rant>You keep calling everybody "Noobs," but if you've really been around for a while you'd know that eventually SP2 will be the standard.  PERIOD.  It is not here to bring you new exciting features, or to get you excited about using it.  It's a SERVICE PACK.  A collection of recent patches. 

It sounds to me like you are scared to upgrade.  The truth is that if you were as experienced as you think you are then you wouldn't have any problems upgrading.  I know I didn't have a single issue, and I know many many people that have had the same experience.  If you want to wait to make sure that no new bugs were introduced, fine.  If you expect service packs to be exciting, then you will be sorely disappointed with SP2 anyway. </Rant>

You, my friend, are talking rubbish.

SP2 is not just a service pack. A service pack would just install the security patches needed and nothing else. SP2 is a 266MB monster addition to windows that conveniently UPGRADES your versions of Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Movie Maker, Windows Media Player, Windows Firewall, DirectX and God knows what else.

If, like me, you don't use most of these programs then you might understand why this whole SP2 thing has p1ssed me off completely. Everybody winges to MS for their crap operating system and, thanks to our whining, MS produce a service pack that not only fixes most of the (known) holes, but slaps on everything else that MS want you to have with no options whatsoever.

The fact remains, if all of these programs weren't irreversibly integrated into Windows in the FIRST PLACE, half these bloody security issues wouldn't exist on a fresh, clean installation of XP.

A security update conveniently tied in with a massive monopolistic example of facist coporate control.

Edited by The Gauge