KDE or Gnome?

Which do you like the most?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like the most?

• KDE
    • Gnome

I know the KDE Vs. Gnome debate has been going on for a while, but i wonder which one Neowinians prefer, if any :)

for me, though, it's KDE

Edited by M2Ys4U

I wish KDE was not so "bloated" though.  I remember when you could run LINUX with a GUI on a 486/100... :)

you can with certain windowing systems, that doesnt mean that some other GUI's are not going to take advantage of todays hardware, damn, Im getting tired of the "bloated" word, almost no one knows how to use it :rolleyes:

Edit: I prefer Gnome

,Aug 19 2004, 11:35] you can with certain windowing systems, that doesnt mean that some other GUI's are not going to take advantage of todays hardware, damn, Im getting tired of the "bloated" word, almost no one knows how to use it :rolleyes:

Edit: I prefer Gnome

Perhaps I picked the wrong word. But I have noticed that as GUI's like KDE have evolved, they are not as "quick" as they once were and require more high-end hardware to really run that well.

I wish that there was some default GUI that was able to keep things lean and mean. But at least you can KILL X and take care of most things at the command line if you know how. Long file name support, etc. is all built right into the core command line setup, and I think most other things are too, like Samba client, networking, USB devices, etc. But it is a bit intimidating for some. But with Midnight Commander, you can navigate around fairly well, provided you are ok with editing text config files.

I used to love gnome because of the eyecandy and ability to modify everything.

Now I like to use my computer instead of making it look pretty, so KDE just feels right.

My preference is Gnome. :wub:

I dont think KDE is bloated or slow, but it is definetly too cluttered for my tastes.

Gnome may not actually be lean, but at least it gives the impression that it is.

I like both of them, but don't use them :p There are lighter, sleeker alternatives like FVWM2. Most of my apps I use though are GTK. KDE apps - in my view - are glossy and over featured.

Taskbars and start menus are for the birds.

agreed....if your goal is to use something non-windows, why the hell would you use a desktop environment so much like windows. KDE and Gnome are both fugly IMO :x

Neither (I use Fluxbox), but if I have to choose one, I'd say GNOME for GNU/Linux, and for *BSD I use KDE because it is easy to install just the core (kdebase).

agreed....if your goal is to use something non-windows, why the hell would you use a desktop environment so much like windows.  KDE and Gnome are both fugly IMO  :x

yeah, you should give up using a window manager too, because windows has one also :rolleyes:

Just because Windows has a feature, doesnt make it stupid to want the same feature in Linux, especially if Linux might be able to do it better

if u want a good solution, go with Gnome :)

KDE's DCop pretty much controls everything. if it goes down, you go down. Its bulky, and full of junk thats unneeded. Plus Gnome looks much cooler :)

:pinch: Concurrent polls on a nearly identical topic.

I'll let this slide, though I suspect it will end up nearly 50/50. :shifty:

:pinch: Concurrent polls on a nearly identical topic.

I'll let this slide, though I suspect it will end up nearly 50/50. :shifty:

i looked 3/4 pages back in this forum and didn't see a similar poll...

sorry if i have posted a new one with an existing still running though :(