Wireless Network Idea

Hi all,

I was wondering if this would work. Image attached. The idea is to share his internet connection though my PC and/or laptop via my AP set to client mode to his AP.

ps: sorry bout the 1337 photoshop skills :rolleyes: :D

post-32-1092997068.jpg

1) Buy Linksys WRT54G

2) Install Sveasoft firmware

3) Boost power by 900%

4) Move to Tibet and still keep your wireless connection. :laugh:

But being serious the best way would be to use to routers and range extenders if needed. keep in mind though that you need to look for WDS, Wireless Distributions System, on the router specs but like the WRT54G you might be able to find a 3rd party firmware that supports it.

1) Buy Linksys WRT54G

2) Install Sveasoft firmware

3) Boost power by 900%

4) Move to Tibet and still keep your wireless connection. :laugh:

But being serious the best way would be to use to routers and range extenders if needed. keep in mind though that you need to look for WDS, Wireless Distributions System, on the router specs but like the WRT54G you might be able to find a 3rd party firmware that supports it.

Hehe yes.

Hmmm Boost Power 900%, the FCC will come knocking on your door :D

OK, judging by the replys it will work but I want to know if the 1 roof top will cause a problem? How well will the signal penetrate the roof? is there a site that shows what causes wireless signals to drop etc?

Maybe you'll need to get a big pole (like used on TV antennae in valleys) and put one on the antennae. :/

I will do that and if I do it will still have to go though 1 roof so would that be much of a problem? I mean the antenna is supposedly capable of going 30km and it has to go aprox 400m :/

Yeah. What's the roof made of?

Tiles = Slight Problem

Fibreglass = Shouldn't be much trouble

Metal = Piece of Cake

/edit: One thing you have to remember - the roof of that house will channel the signals down into it like nobody's business - if they want, it's easy peezy for the people inside to spend some time cracking your WPA (although provided it's secure, shouldn't be much problem).

Where do you live, btw (in Melbourne).

Yeah. What's the roof made of?

Tiles = Slight Problem

Fibreglass = Shouldn't be much trouble

Metal = Piece of Cake

/edit: One thing you have to remember - the roof of that house will channel the signals down into it like nobody's business - if they want, it's easy peezy for the people inside to spend some time cracking your WPA (although provided it's secure, shouldn't be much problem).

Where do you live, btw (in Melbourne).

Tiles and wood (like a standard house). Why would metal be a piece of cake :huh: shouldnt metal be hard to penetrate with wireless RF :/

edit: I live in hadfield which is near glenroy and broadmedows etc

I don't think 1 roof will be a problem, but use as little cable for the antennae as possible. You basically want to mount the AP on the roof, if possible, then run Power over Ethernet to it, to power it, and also to provide the backhaul to your computer. The cable will degrade half the signal per meter, usually.

This is what I'd do (get a linksys WRT54G at both ends if possible):

1. Mount anntennae with as little cable as possible. Put the AP on your roof and run power over ethernet to it. You'll be able to either make this yourself or you can buy a kit for cheap. PoE basically uses the spair cables in the ethernet cable for power, so you don't need a power socket nearbuy. Make sure the AP is in a box or something so it won't get wet (but does it even rain in Australia :p)

2. Point antntenna in the right direction.

3. Get your buddy 400M away to set his anntenna up. Also, use PoE on both ends. This will help you so much.

Use cellphones or walkie talkies to line them up. Also, use a compass and a map if you really struggle.

You should get a signal straight away. If not:

1. Install custom firmware on your AP.

2. Boost power by 150%. Keep on boosting until you get a signal.

3. Do it at the other end.

Let us know how you get on, because this is a great way to save money on the internet ;).

Would the PoE be needed if I'am going to use a socket in a near room and feed the cable though the house up to the antenna?

As I said multiple times, don't feed any cable up anywhere. It's gonna totally kill the connection. Put the actual Access Point on the roof. Then buy another one for sharing down to your house, if needed. APs are so cheap now you could buy 20 and still have change :)

What you want to do it quite easy, and not very costly. But you also need to make sure that your not in violation of any AUP. Most ISP's strictly forbid you from doing what your planning on doing. I would think, it would have to be some type of business connection to even attempt this - I would bet that any normal ISP would have rules against you sharing your internet connection outside of the location that is paying for the connection.

What you want to do it quite easy, and not very costly.  But you also need to make sure that your not in violation of any AUP.  Most ISP's strictly forbid you from doing what your planning on doing.  I would think, it would have to be some type of business connection to even attempt this - I would bet that any normal ISP would have rules against you sharing your internet connection outside of the location that is paying for the connection.

Directional antennas will make a WORLD of difference. I built two cantennas for on my WET11s and they blow throgh windows, doors, a new storm door I installed, trees, shrubs, rain, snow, nothing stops them...

I can't see the 1500' between my two cantennas, there is so much foliage between them, but I have never had a signal dropout, even during downpours.

I used this design :

http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/CookieCantenna

without the collector on the front.

trees.jpg

Hopefully the router will prevent your ISP from getting too curious about what is going on behind...

Hopefully the router will prevent your ISP from getting too curious about what is going on behind...

I said nothing about the ISP catching him - which is highly unlikely btw. But doing such a thing is more than likely against the AUP of his ISP - just wanted him to be aware that he needs to check his AUP is all. Some people do have moral issues with what amounts to stealing ;)

Directional antennas will make a WORLD of difference. I built two cantennas for on my WET11s and they blow throgh windows, doors, a new storm door I installed, trees, shrubs, rain, snow, nothing stops them...

I can't see the 1500' between my two cantennas, there is so much foliage between them, but I have never had a signal dropout, even during downpours.

I used this design :

http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/CookieCantenna

without the collector on the front.

http://www.pcspecialties.com/trees.jpg

That's very impressive. Try this out first before you blow money on PoE stuff :).

That's very impressive. Try this out first before you blow money on PoE stuff :).

Cool I'll try something like that, also I read that in australia it isnt illegal if you allow others to connect to you free of charge but if you charge them you have to get a licence of some sort which costs alot of money.

also I read that in australia it isnt illegal if you allow others to connect to you free of charge but if you charge them you have to get a licence of some sort which costs alot of money.

You might want to re-read that, where did you read it? From the quick read I did of the Australian TELECOMMUNICATIONS ACT 1997, would tend to point to the fact that you would need a license to do what your doing. You can find the act here - http://scaleplus.law.gov.au/html/pasteact/2/3021/top.htm

Does not matter anyway - since you would still be held to any AUP of the ISP providing you with service. I am not sure what service you have, or with who - but a quick look to a ISP providing service in your area www.ains.com.au says that it would be against their AUP to do what your doing. So it is quite possible that it would be against your AUP as well.

Some points from ains AUP

The DSL service may only be used at the physical address specified by Customer in Section 2 of this SAF.

The Customer must not use or permit anyone else to use the Service without written permission from AINS.

The Customer must not resell in part or whole of the DSL service to any person unless approved as a Dealer, Reseller or Wholesaler.

Hey do not take this the wrong way, I really could care less what you do - I am just trying to point out that you really do need to understand your AUP, and any other laws that may pertain to you. And upon reading parts of the ATA of 1997, you really might want to double check that you do not fall under that by providing service, etc..

I read http://www.freenet-antennas.com/ADSL_Share/index.htm and I know my ISP allows up to 4 LAN users but a LAN can be spread over 400m with a wireless connection cant they? ;)

Well it seems you are aware of the laws in your area, and any loophole you feel you might be using to get around your ISP AUP ;) Great! Have fun - you should not have any problems. What your trying to do has been done many, many times - and quite eary to setup.

I really was not trying to be the bad guy - it's just anyone else reading these types of threads, should really understand their AUP - and any other local laws before they attempt to do what your doing. Just because its legal for someone else to do, does not mean its not breaking any AUP or laws for them.

Let us know how it turns out!

I share a satellite broadband link with another guy down the road. Our setup is in my house i have ther server and verious other computers all connected with a belkin switched hub. Got a netgear Access point in the bedroom with direct line of sight to the other house. he has a netgear pci card and a square 14dbi aerial on the back off his house as the computer is round the front. he gets about 36-54Mbps and a signal strenth of about 60-80%. oh and the house is about 500 Yards away.