Complete Xbox for buyer info

Introduction

The home entertainment market seems to be getting bigger and bigger. Let me state upfront that this is not a console comparison article. While other consoles are mentioned, this article is intended to focus on Microsoft's Xbox console. Companies are automating homes, wireless networking, broadband, most homes now often have high speed Internet connections. Thinks as a whole have changed and matured. Companies are often entering markets and genres that are unique. Most people reading this are familiar with the term "gaming console" Up until November of 2001 the major player with the most recent console in the market was Sony with the Playstation 2. In November, that unit gained some competition from Nintendo with the Game Cube and Microsoft with the Xbox. Yes you heard that right, Microsoft is now in the console gaming market, and here in a big way. I had the opportunity to demo one of these units which led to me purchasing a unit. Keep reading for my analysis of Microsoft's hottest new product, it's amazing.

Inside the Xbox

Microsoft, like them or nor has produced some great products in both hardware and software, the Xbox being no exception. Take a look at the specifications for the Xbox below. The computer up until now has been looked upon as the best method of gaming fun with the console market lagging just behind. Not anymore. Microsoft has combined the best of both worlds in the Xbox. Take a look below at the specifications below, you have the hardware of a modern day desktop computer wrapped into a console system.

Xbox Specifications:

DirectX API game development tools

Intel Pentium III 733MHz processor technology with Streaming SIMD Extensions

233MHz custom-designed chip, developed by Microsoft and NVIDIA

64 MB of RAM (unified memory architecture)

3D Audio Support in Hardware (64-bit)

8 GB hard drive

2X-5X DVD drive with movie playback (Additional Remote Necessary)

Four game controller ports

Expansion port

Proprietary A/V connector

Game controller x4, Ethernet (10/100)

Broadband enabled

Modem enabled (optional)

Key Performance Measures:

6.4GB/sec Memory Bandwidth

150 million micropolygons/particles per second

150 million transformed and lit polygons per second

100 million polygons per second sustained performance (shading, texturing)

Pixel Fill Rate 4.0 GB/sec

4 simultaneous textures

Compressed textures available at 6:1 compression

Full-scene anti-aliasing

DVD movie playback * see above

1920x1080 maximum resolution

Maximum resolution (2 x 32bpp frame buffers + Z) 1920 x 1080

HDTV support (games and movie playback)

Specific Audio Features:

256 Audio channels

3-D Audio support

Midi/DLS2 support

Using the Xbox

This is the fun part, so you've told me all about this console, how's the action? In one word, unbelievable, the console itself shows some wonderful power and potential. I suspect as developers continue to get a better handle on the hardware and it's capabilities, as seen with other consoles the games will continue to improve. As always, game quality is developer specific, but I suspect the upper potential could be amazing. The system features a comfortable, easy to use controller. The controller is unique to Microsoft and unlike no other featuring six buttons, 2 sensor based thumb sticks, meaning they respond based on the amount of intensity you apply, a directional pad, and 2 sensor based triggers on the back, not to mention the controller also has force feedback vibration. Microsoft has made sure the player has complete control of the action.

Why do I want this thing?

As I said before the Xbox is truly the latest in console gaming technology. The raw power and potential of the Xbox is enough for me. Microsoft has gone the extra mile so to speak to make this the best. Several accessories have already been marketed to make the experience even better. It's network ready for multiplayer action, throw a new style of LAN party, bring the Xbox.

Is it truly all good?

No, as with every product things can always be changed, enhanced, or improved, the Xbox is no exception. The one thing the irritates me the most the system is advertised as a DVD player as well, however, in order to use that feature the consumer must buy a DVD playback kit, which contains a remote and infrared sensor. I think the unit should either ship with the remote, or allow the playback to be controlled without a remote.

Conclusions

The Xbox offers a new look a console gaming, as well as raises the bar for competition and console technology. I'll say, in my personal opinion the Xbox is the best gaming console on the market today. At the average price of $299 in my area, the unit is expensive, but the fact that it also doubles as a DVD player does justify the price tag. If you're looking a console upgrade, or just getting into the market, personally I don't think you could go wrong.

Courtesy: WINDOWS OS CENTRAL

Xbox well is ok but Ps 2 has an advantage over x coz its got more games available for it. I think maybe if they had good games made then it could take on ps2 and give it a run for its money.