XPs SP2

Do a clean install and you'll face virtuall no problems. Upgrades can make current issues more predominant, and they can become quite annoying. SP2 itself doesn't really bring up any new problems, but anything that's not working with your system now will likely cause problems with all the new security in SP2.

ya.. install now but do a clean install. you will avoid lots of headaches if things do go wrong. I havent had any problems with my desktop, laptop and virtual pc install which all were slipstreamed SP2s.

I am facing uninstall problems: If i try to uninstall anything it hangs and I am not able to complete the install. I end up having to reinstall software and am never able to uninstall.

I am upgraded.

No problems here either. I'm using a freshly-installed slipstreamed version. Solid as a rock.

Exactly :yes:

No Sp2 probs here either.

I did have them intially, but that was due to uxtheme / tcpip.sys etc (i tried patching both and I (more than likely doing something wrong) messed things up a bit, so i rolled back to Sp1, defragged / reg cleaned / cleaned up orphan files < in reverse order :p , reinstalled Sp2 (remember, this wasnt a clean install, i still had all my programs on the comp etc and i dont have partitions) and all works perfectly well now (i don't even seem to have the tcpip.sys problem and that's me unpatched.)

So the moral of this is, don't **** about, just do things by the book and all will be fine :p

well from the look of the responses it looks like a clean install/reformat is the way to go- then install SP2.. what a pain.. I would rather just install the service pack.. We'll see what happens.

I have XP with sp2, and I need to reformat anyways, but I saw a page on MS site of apps that are known not to work with sp2.

One of them being Yahoo messenger, which my wife uses dearly. Anybody have any luck with running yahoo on sp2?

There was a ****load of applications and the problems that arose.

Also, what are people doing about visual styles? Do we need a special uxtheme and special visual styles for sp2?

One more question....What's a good Anti-virus to run with sp2? I read where most of them arent working or have problems now...I was gonna install kaspersky, but I saw that it was having problems also..

Download and install it! :yes:

I did it the day it appeared here on Neowin - didn't have a single problem since than - I installed it over my XP Home XP 1 and system performs better than before now - it's noticebly faster!

why wait ?

what are you waiting for the perfect OS patch lol not going to happen there will aways be holes and some programs will break but SP2 does far more good than it does bad so get off you butts and install already.

why wait ?

what are you waiting for the perfect OS patch lol not going to happen there will aways be holes and some programs will break but SP2 does far more good than it does bad so get off you butts and install already.

Better I stick my butt on SP1 for a while... I just don't want to get a blue screen next time I reboot my computer.. Heheheh..