[Pre-Review] Shure E3c and Etymotic ER-6 Earphones

I couldn't decide which one to buy, so I purchased both. :)

And they arrived yesterday. I've been doing some comparison tests, and I've been able to come up with a pretty good epitome of both earphones. I haven't done any in-depth analysis, and I'm not sure if I will. But I will update this later with some more information after more listening.

For now, these quick sentences should suffice.

Shure E3c: Compared to the E2c, it has much less bass, which I like immensely. I hate excessive bass and the E3c seems to have found a good middle ground. The music is a bit muddled when compared to the ER-6 and MX500, but it's not extreme. These are very fun portable phones giving music a little more pep. The sound isn't as "sharp" as the ER-6 or Sennheiser MX500 though. It's more of a round, warm sound.

Etymotic ER-6: These earphones are incredibly analytic and precise. They provide superb natural, pure sound. Music is much clearer and sharper than the Shure E3c. Clarity is incredible and definitly its forte. Bass on these is definitly lower, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Although if you're a basshead, I'd advise you to stay away.

And now for the pictures:

Scroll Down for Larger Picutres.

Shure E3c:

Shure002Custom.jpg

Shure001Custom.jpg

Etymotic ER-6:

ER6001Custom.jpg

ER6003Custom.jpg

Larger Pictures:

I'm dissatisfied with the Shure Pictures. They're really blurry so I might retake those.

Shure E3c 01

Shure E3c 02

Etymotic ER-6 01

Etymotic ER-6 02

Edited by Squibbles

actually MSRP for Shure E3c is $179.

Yes, those are Shure and Etymotic MSRP prices, but even reputable dealers like idealsound and discountheadphones will sell them alot cheaper.

Oh, sorry about that. My eyes are kind of funky today, I guess I didn't see the blue.

No problem!

Those Etymotics look REALLY nice... I might just have to save up some money for them... I need an MP3 player (or should I say digital music player... Lot more formats, now), too... I guess it's time to browse the reviews forum...

seems like WAY too much money to spend on earphones....

Yeah, they are a bit pricy. But they destroy most other earphones and not to mention the added level of isolation. They are much better than the Sony Fontopia series, imo. And I figured since I purchased a $400 MP3 Player [bought the iPod last summer], I might as well have a good set of buds to complement it.

After buying the Bang & Olufsen A8 Earphones, I can say that buying expensive headphones is definitely worth it. I also looked at the Shure and Etymotics, but they didn't look as cool. :p

I looked at the A8's too, but from reviews, I inferred that they're all looks. Kind of like Bose, overpriced for the brand and looks without a very good product. Maybe I'm wrong about the A8's, but B&O generally have good looking, mediocre products.

No offense, or anything. :)

I looked at the A8's too, but from reviews, I inferred that they're all looks. Kind of like Bose, overpriced for the brand and looks without a very good product. Maybe I'm wrong about the A8's, but B&O generally have good looking, mediocre products.

I respect your opinion. From my experience though, these seem to be the exception. You get excellent sound and great looks. :cool:

Do you call Bose overpriced and "all looks"? Every single speaker I've bought can't add up to the experience of listening to the sound of Bose "in action". I need the best, and Bose delivers the best. :cool:

Do you call Bose overpriced and "all looks"? Every single speaker I've bought can't add up to the experience of listening to the sound of Bose "in action". I need the best, and Bose delivers the best. :cool:

Tell the truth: you signed up today to defend and validate the brand of audio equipment that is directly proportional to your ePenis, didn't you? Yeah, that's what I thought.... :rolleyes:

Yes, I do believe Bose is overpriced. Their products are not much better than their competitors and imo, do not warrant such a high price tag.

Bose definately isn't 'the best'. they are definately at the higher end of the midrange audio products.

but when you really talk about getting quality sound, you need to be talking about nakamichi, bang & olfsen, bowers & wilkins, etc. they're all in another class of their own. bose has nothing compared to these big boys.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using the ER-6's for about a year now. I am totally satisfied! The sound quality is excellent and you can't beat the comfort. You can wear them for hours and hours with no discomfort. I also use them on the airlines and not only are they better earphones then those supplied, the noise reduction makes sleeping a lot easier.