• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Installation Problem

kintamanate    1

A question, first.. are you by any chance using an maxtor ULTRA DMA (or ATA) hard drive?:confused:

NilUje    0

no, but my HD is an IBM ultra dma (66)... maybe its the same with maxtor... what is your solution if it is?

kintamanate    1

Hmm seems to me that there is a recurrent problem here...

Like I mentioned previously, I had the same problem (twice actually) when dual booting WinMe and Win2k. I have (maxtor) ULTRA DMA HDs.

1. Reduce the hard drive from ULTRA DMA to IDE. (so just change the ULTRA DMA cables with IDE cables on the mother board)
  2. Change settings in the BIOS to reflect the the cable changes you've made on the MOBO (tell it to detect automatically for hard drives, or specifically IDE drives)
  3. After getting to WinXP, look for ULTRA DMA driver on the CD(I'm not sure if its the same on the WinXP CD). If its not on there, maybe look for on IBM site? But then again, I don't think it would be on there since WinXP is still only Beta
  4. Finally, switch back cables, and BIOS settings

kintamanate    1

Why switch back the cables? So you utilize the powers of Ultra DMA..if not switch back..why bother buying DMA in the first place??

The driver is for which ever drive you initially started out with..for that is what this problem is all about..patching the mistake that win2k does not recognize your ultra DMA HD.