XP Pro/Main won't share to XP Home/Laptop

Just got a laptop and would like to access everything on my main computer from another location in the home. The laptop will share with my main, but my main won't share with the laptop.

Main is XP Pro and Laptop is XP Home.

I don't plan on doing anything in the laptop except accessing the main computer. I won't install anything new in the laptop, I want to use everything form the main.

Any suggestions????

You need to make sure the folders you want to access are shared.

Right click the drive > Properties > Sharing > Go to the network sharing section and share the drive or folder.

I tried telling the Main computer to completely share the C drive, but it wouldn't do that, so I did one folder after another until I had several marked to share, but still can't get to them from the laptop.

Thank you for your response

When you say share, I'm assuming you mean files and folders?

You will not be able to share applications installed on your main computer unless you have a terminial services installed on your main computer(Requires W2K/.NET Server) and use remote desktop connection on your laptop... or you could use a third party application like PCAnywhere. However if you do this you are basically making your nice powerful laptop into nothing more than an expensive dumb terminal with a nice display.

You can share files and folder very easily, assuming you have a local network setup. Both computers must be on the same subnet and should belong to the same workgroup.

After that sharing folders/files is as simple right clicking->shariing and security->share this folder

If you are using NTFS additional security can be applied though the security tab.

The C drive is shared by default. On Windows NT/2000/XP the harddrives are shared always by default, and an example of the share name is computerc$

The share is just the drive letter with the $ after it. It only applies to harddrives and paritions on them.

Originally posted by werejag

xp home does not access domains like xp pro. download tweak ui and add your domain name to xp home. then you can access all files that you share

he never said he had a domain controller running, which means a computer with Windows NT 4 Server or Windows 2000 Server. Windows XP Pro and Home cannot be domain servers. He is just in a Workgroup which I believe both can access just fine. I never used Home, but Windows 9x/ME, which Home replaces, used Workgroups and I know domains, but it should support workgroups at least. Espically if the XP Pro system can access data on the XP Home machine.

Originally posted by Martog

The C drive is shared by default. On Windows NT/2000/XP the harddrives are shared always by default, and an example of the share name is computerc$

The share is just the drive letter with the $ after it. It only applies to harddrives and paritions on them.

It's important to note that computernamec$ is an administrative share...Only accounts with admistrative privileges can access that share. It's never a good idea to use a administrator account for regular day to day use. Instead create a share and give the appropriate permissions via NTFS security (by default everyone will have access).

Spanky you are probably right. I plan on making my laptop an "expensive dumb terminal".

I have wanted a laptop for quite some time, so when I travel I can take it with me, also I have two areas in my home that I would like to use the laptop to access my main computer in another area of my home.

In summary, I will have a laptop that I can use all by itself, or I can use it as an "expensive dumb terminal" and if this happens, than I have accomplished the reason for buying a laptop.

Thank you all for your wonderful and informative responses. I really appreciate your help.