windows xp pro on 20gb apple ipod

i put a ghost image of my os drive on my ipod... in case of the worst. the real problem i would be worried about is the heat the ipod generates when it's doing actual work, it's real hot when i'm done ghosting my drive from it, i wouldn't want it to be doing that kind of work on a regular basis.

the reason why i want to do this is because i would like to take my ipod and connect it to different computers and use the same ver on windows ( i know driver would be a prob) and security around my house.

Use remote desktop or terminal services in a domain. :angry:

And if his main computer is only running XP Home? How do you propose he uses Remote Desktop then? Or if the computer he wants to use his drive on is not connected to a network, or only has dial up access?

I am in no way supporting what I think to be a terrible idea (for several reasons already mentioned), but... since when does someone (and especially neowin members) need a reason to do something other than "because I can" ... Sure, there is no practical (or safe) reason to run an OS off of your iPod...but part of the thrill is just being able to possibly do it.

... just my $0.02 :blink:

check your computer bios, see if you can boot from USB, if so, install windows on your ipod, make sure it doesn't format the drive, and cross your fingers it doensn't affect the iPods setup, than give it a shot, theres truely only one way to find out.

No. There is not. Someone please close this useless thread.

I could go on about how there are no kernel level drivers for anything remotely close to iPod hardware, but I won't.

:crazy:

No. There is not. Someone please close this useless thread.

I could go on about how there are no kernel level drivers for anything remotely close to iPod hardware, but I won't.

:crazy:

Please accept my congratulations in advance for reading the whole thread.

Please accept my congratulations in advance for reading the whole thread.

Congratulations accepted. Why read the whole thread when I'm answering his original question? :blink:

Well, I use my old iPod 10GB to run OS X for diagnostics on other OS X machines. It's not a stupid idea. I don't think it's possible for Windows though. I believe the HAL prevents anything of the sort.

i cannot do this for several reasons one i have dialup and get disconnected every 45 min of inactivity and i must recieve phone calls ect

Sure, there is no practical (or safe) reason to run an OS off of your iPod...but part of the thrill is just being able to possibly do it.

Sorry, but lots of OS X users do it all the time (since OS X is very tolerant of being moved between different computers). It's a very practical way to move your data around, or to run a second version of the OS (such as running a beta version of Tiger). Unfortunately, XP is not as tolerant of moving between different computers.

Congratulations accepted. Why read the whole thread when I'm answering his original question? :blink:

Because later in the thread he clarified what he meant in the original question, after several other people came to the same incorrect understanding of what he meant that you did. He wants to use the iPod as an external drive to install Windows XP on so he can move it between different computers.

Unfortunately, XP is not as tolerant of moving between different computers.

Just wanted to step in to correct a misconception. You can't compare XP's "tolerance" for moving around computers with OS X, as all OS X machines use essentially the same configuration, with only minor differences in processor speed, RAM amount, and peripheral configuration (assuming you're sticking with one platform, eg. G4, G5, etc.). PC's, on the other hand, have myriad different hardware configurations, varying much more widely than with Macs. Therefore, of course XP is going to have a harder time adapting, because the hardware will swing much more radically from PC to PC than OS X going from Mac to Mac. Please keep that in mind.

As for the original post, just to get a clarification, do you want to use your iPod as an XP CD replacement (i.e. install XP from your iPod as you would from an XP CD), or as a "config image" that you would copy to your computer? If the former, I would suggest just using your CD. If the latter, I agree with many of the posters here, that XP will probably not install successfully on the iPod. If you really want to do this so badly, go buy imaging software and make a clean image of each computer (you'll need to do it for each different computer, as hardware configurations will be different). This will probably be better (and cheaper) than trying to get XP to install on an iPod.

What is sweet about OS 9 is that you can just drag its folder onto an iPod and it will become a bootable device. Drag and Dropable OS's are about as easy as it gets.

what is not sweet about it is that it's really crappy. :D :p

Just wanted to step in to correct a misconception. You can't compare XP's "tolerance" for moving around computers with OS X, as all OS X machines use essentially the same configuration, with only minor differences in processor speed, RAM amount, and peripheral configuration (assuming you're sticking with one platform, eg. G4, G5, etc.).

That last line was an assumption that was incorrect. I've taken the hard drive from an iMac before and booted it in an external FireWire case on a PowerBook G3 with no problems (the iMac was dead and a friend wanted me to recover some data for them). That is a radical change in hardware. Even taking an XP installation from a computer with an Intel 810 chipset and putting it into a computer with the 845 chipset requires a couple of reboots while XP figures out the differences in hardware (and then requires you to re-activate it).