[Aussie's] Unwired Broadband

Hi my fellow Aussie's :D

I currently have an ADSL connection at home.

I have just heard about the Unwired Broadband and would like some feedback before I ditch my ADSL and go wireless.

I have also come across a reseller called Exetel who's prices and plans seem a lot more value for money.

I currently have an Unwired tower here in Sydney about 100M from where I live.

How easy are the modems to set up and does the service suffer from dropouts?

The reason I ask this is because I regularly move house (Approx every 6 to 8 months) and i have to pay a reconnection fee each time and with Unwired you can just relocate and as long as there is a tower nearby, you can have service without reconnecting.

Any help would be appreciated. :yes:

Hm, well, it's the best wireless offering I've seen to date, but you still might save money with ADSL.

The prices are the best I've seen for wireless, but still a very long way away from competing ADSL plans. It all depends on how much you download per month. If 1GB is enough then go for it, if not, you might be better look elsewhere.

Also, you're also taking a risk with Wireless connectivity. It might be great where you are now, but the next place you move you might be a little far out of the service area (and thus suffering dropouts) or even worse the signal might be suffering interference by a nearby structure or something.

If I we're in your situation, I'd stick with ADSL. There would be no reliability concerns and if you used an identical ADSL plan, even with the reconnection fee every 6-8 months, it would still work out to be much cheaper.

What is your reconnection fee, by the way?

P.S. Just checked out Exetel. Way better value, but I stand by my original recommendation to stick with ADSL.

With my current isp, my reconnection fee is $125 and the monthly fee is $69.95 per month for 256/64k unlimited downloads.

I would not download any more than 10 gbytes per month.

Where as if I was to connect to Exetel, I would get a 512/128k connection and 10 gbytes of downloads for $55 a month.

With my current isp, my reconnection fee is $125 and the monthly fee is $69.95 per month for 256/64k unlimited downloads.

I would not download any more than 10 gbytes per month.

Where as if I was to connect to Exetel, I would get a 512/128k connection and 10 gbytes of downloads for $55 a month.

Your current ISP isn't giving you a very competitive price, but anyway, I did a little hunting around other ADSL ISP's and no-one offers anything much under $120 reconnection free, most are around the $150 ballpark.

I retract my original recommendation regarding sticking with ADSL, seems like Wireless may be the way to go! If you're able to know where you might be moving next, you might want to make sure that you can get an Unwired signal there as well otherwise you might lose some money from terminating the contract prematurely.