west coast of US will be destroyed ..

I'd be more concerned about living near New Madrid in Missouri.

Because when another quake hits that area, it'll be a major major disaster.

When "the big one" hit in New Madrid in 1811 and 1812 there was no one living there pretty much, these days that isn't the case:

Large areas sank into the earth, new lakes were formed, the course of the Mississippi River was changed, and forests were destroyed over an area of 150,000 acres. Many houses at New Madrid were thrown down. "Houses, gardens, and fields were swallowed up" one source notes. But fatalities and damage were low, because the area was sparsely settled then.

The earthquakes are estimated to have ranged from 8.0 to 8.5 in magnitude. If that happened today, forget about it.

I'm a relatively new lurker to Neowin, but saw this thread and for some weird reason could not make myself stop reading it, even though I desperately wanted to. :huh: It's like The Day After Tomorrow meets Jerry Springer :pinch: :rolleyes: It's almost painful to read . . . .

And yet very entertaining! I have to read the Area 51 forums more often . . .

Chefz :happy:

the funny thing about prediction on the up coming disaster is not decades or centuries anymore. now is more of OH NOOOOSSS!!! WE'VE ONLY GOT 5 YEARS TO LIVE!! come on people, we ALL have to die someday. plus if anyone of us live near the disaster, most likely it will be a painless death.

as for california breaking off, it might happen, it might not. we should be more worried about the current nuclear threat right now.

I should become a scientist and make funny predictions and say it will happen because i'm a scientist and I'm smart blah blah. this is like one of those holiday inn commericals.

"the world will blow up in 2543 hours." said one guy.

"are you a scientist?" said a different guy.

"no but I did stay at a holiday inn last night"

What do u people have against california? Are you jealous because we have the girls, the life, the cars, the houses, the weather, the jobs?

Yeah true, none of those things exist anywhere else, especially not the US. I'm just jealous that you don't have to entirely spell out the word: "you". I'm so jealous of these things you call 'girls', 'cars', 'houses', etc. And I'm very jealous of your educational system. And your crime rate? Its second to none. /sarcasm

The earthquake predictions have been the same for Cali, just the years have changed. But nobody has yet been able to predict an earthquake until just before its about to happen. To say a major will hit in half of a decade or more is just ridiculous.

Nah....the big problem is when Mount Rainer blows. That will be disastrous.

:o:o:omg:g: I hope none of this happens. Microsoft's base is on the West Coast:cry:y:

While vacationing in Costa Rica earlier this year, a Costa Rican native told me about that 'super volcano' under Yellowstone. At the time, I thought she was crazy and misinformed......... but now: :blink:

they know what they're talking about, "ticos" (costaricans) are used to live between volcanos, earthquakes and huricanes.... :p so far they still there... :yes:

Nah....the big problem is when Mount Rainer blows. That will be disastrous.

if that ever happends we can say good bye to Starbucks, Vulcan Inc., Amazon.com, RealNetworks, Airborne Express, Boeing, AT&T Wireless, Costco, Eddie Bauer, Expedia.com, Nintendo of America, T-Mobile USA and Microsoft:cry:y::wacko:o::no:o::pinch:h::x:x:angry:y:

:rolleyes: They have been saying stuff like this since the 70's.

If you own beach-front property I wouldn't sell it just yet.

natural disasters are gonna happen and we can't stop them. i like to think of it as the earth fighting back :p. anyhoo...go to bed and get up for work tomorrow like you always do and forget about it.

natural disasters are gonna happen and we can't stop them. i like to think of it as the earth fighting back :p. anyhoo...go to bed and get up for work tomorrow like you always do and forget about it.

Can I wear my tin foil hat to work.....? :D :p

if that ever happends we can say good bye to Starbucks, Vulcan Inc., Amazon.com, RealNetworks, Airborne Express, Boeing, AT&T Wireless, Costco, Eddie Bauer, Expedia.com, Nintendo of America, T-Mobile USA and Microsoft  :cry:  :wacko:  :no:  :pinch:  :x  :angry:

Not Nintendo of America! EVERYTHING BUT THAT! And maybe Microsoft too, but mostly NOA! :( :no: :cry:

But it can take Real. :shifty: :p :rofl:

Joking... Or am I? :shifty:

Edited by Veiva

OH WOW... this is just like OMG IN 2035 THERE IS GOING TO BE THIS BADASS ASTEROID THAT WILL KILL EVERYONE AND AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRAEA;KA094T0Q3AFF!!!@

Nahh, it's just like saying WWII actually happened! LOL. JP, but I doubt its true because if it would be, the government would do something about it, mass evacuation or something.