Linux Noob...(me)

Thanks first to anyone who will truly be helpful with my jump to linux and i am serious about the help.

That said, I need to know if the Suse9.1 that i recieved from Novell(free) will damage my windowsxp after the re-partitioning fo the HD

. This is the only computer I have and am hoping to have them on the same hard drive(120gb)

Will my P4Ht have any problems with Linux?

Should it be load and go?

anyone with the patients to help me?

Thanks.

I Want LINUX :yes:

word of advice....back up anything u can't afford to lose. Plus as far as partitioning, u need one partition for xp: one partition for linux: and one swap partition for linux also. The swap should be about 500mb. You will see where to designate this as 'swap partion' when installing linux. My first install involved loseing xp. So i would recommend finding someone who knows what they're do'n to help u out with it, plus u can learn alot.

Backup is a great idea, but (as a good user) I am sure you already backup your data regularly. ;)

Another thing to recommend, is to know your hardware (video card, audio chipset, etc.) as much as possible. Write down info from the Windows hardware manager thingie.

Also, go into BIOS and make sure your BIOS is set to use LBA mode on your hard drives. There have been some recent problems dual-booting with drives in older CHS mode.

Other than that, accept the defaults, and you should be ok. People here in the forums can help when you get stuck. Linux can be a lot of work to set up right (depending on hardware and options selected), but it runs many times smoother and easier when done. (Y)

EDIT: SUSE should resize your partition and install without any problems. You may have a very easy time of it. But keep the safety nets in-place, because it could be a nasty fall if something wrong occurs. ;)

Backup is a great idea, but (as a good user) I am sure you already backup your data regularly. ;)

Another thing to recommend, is to know your hardware (video card, audio chipset, etc.) as much as possible. Write down info from the Windows hardware manager thingie.

Also, go into BIOS and make sure your BIOS is set to use LBA mode on your hard drives. There have been some recent problems dual-booting with drives in older CHS mode.

Other than that, accept the defaults, and you should be ok. People here in the forums can help when you get stuck. Linux can be a lot of work to set up right (depending on hardware and options selected), but it runs many times smoother and easier when done. (Y)

EDIT: SUSE should resize your partition and install without any problems. You may have a very easy time of it. But keep the safety nets in-place, because it could be a nasty fall if something wrong occurs. ;)

if my computer is new(8or 10 months old)

won't the drivers be in there...and would my bios be set to lba...i will check that out though! :happy:

won't the drivers be in there...and would my bios be set to lba...i will check that out though! :happy:

Windows drivers (with the odd exception of captured NTFS and NDIS wrappers) won't do you any good in Linux.

And BIOS is often set to "auto" for drives, which may default to CHS for compatibility reasons.

Suse 9.1 Pro Screwed up my Xp MBR, so be carefull man - i didnt back up :(

Looking at that another way is: SUSE (or any other Operating System) would have to modify the MBR with your permission in order to allow the PC to boot your alternate OS. Otherwise it would continue to be a single-boot Windows PC.

Anyhow, fixing the MBR is a matter of using Microsoft's "fdisk /mbr" or "fixboot" to set it back to the Microsoft default. :yes:

Well I installed SuSe 9.1 Personal (which is basically the same as pro except minus important packages... :pinch: ) But yeah, SuSe is very good at installing. What I did was ignore what they suggested and I set the partitions up myself during the install. (custom menu) I made a 512mb swap partition as someone suggested, and I used the rest of the hard drive space that wasnt being used by windows to create the 6.9gig ext3 linux partition. Now I already had a empty part on the hard drive. You probably dont, so what you would want to do is either trust the SuSe installer to resize your windows partition, or you can use Partition Magic and resize it, but dont make any linux partitions on partition magic, suse will do that part.

The SuSe installer will let you create one during installation. Set it to 512mb (most likely you will have to type in +512mb for it to work after you create the partition. and make sure you choose the file type to be Swap). Then create the Ext3 partition and set it to +10000000000GB and it will tell you that it cannot do that (obviously) and it will ask you if you want to set it to the max capacity that it CAN set it to. This is the best way to guarentee you dont leave an unallocated space on the drive.

well i did it...i let suse do it all...it just divided the HD in half. so far no problems.

i have questions about this linux...

how do you change the "themes"?

Is there anything like Frontpage?

where are the IM's?

if you want to help i would appreciate it..

btw, i checked windows and nothing is wrong.

Except it said it found new hardware....and i can't find it.

Thanks for the help,

John

IF Suse broke your MBR there wouldn't be a need for a backup since it only takes about two minutes to restore Microsoft's default MBR and put you back into Windows.

Now, if you had some partitioning issues and you erased your Windows partition or something then that's a bit harder to recover from. :o

well i did it...i let suse do it all...it just divided the HD in half. so far no problems.

i have questions about this linux...

how do you change the "themes"?

Is there anything like Frontpage?

where are the IM's?

if you want to help i would appreciate it..

btw, i checked windows and nothing is wrong.

Except it said it found new hardware....and i can't find it.

Thanks for the help,

John

1. go to kde control panel, search in your "startup" menu

2. try http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/

3. IM should be in your Internet menu, gaim or kopete

Take it slowly. Linux is a lot to learn in just one day.

this is all new to me. :alien: but i will try to get the hang of it.

i wanted to know about software that i have on the disks that novell sent me.....will it help me to make a better website..i need webpage stuff...i am not the best but i wanted to try something new...

does this have any security stuff...firewall? virus protection?...do i have to install thru the pkg ...i haven't learned how to install that way...

In the antivirus and firewall aspects of linux, I highly doubt they exist. I ran into one firewall on the net somewhere but other than that... *shrug* none..

iptables is a very capable firewall. Most antivirus programs for linux are used on mail servers and are created to pick up windows viruses in attachments.

is there anything that makes webpages...with themes?

i used frontpage...i know...don't flame, but that's all i know to use.

i want to make it different without have to type every single line of html in.

i also like this invision board...cool. ;)

is there anything with this novell that might be interesteing...it has on it..suse pro 8.2 ximian desktop2 thats on disk 2.

on disk one there is ximian red carpet,nterprise,console one,enterprise server 8...what should i do with them?.

on disk 3 it has what i installed...susepro9.1