i can choose between the old kernel and the new one

the old one still works fine :)

but when i select the new one it starts booting with the new kernel

but it takes ages to activate the swap and it's just hanging there :s

left in on for an hour

still didn't work

and i'm out of ideas

so what do you guys think i did wrong ?

and most important how could i fix it? :)

Just update the old kernel again ?

Greets and thanx

CbaZ10

At a guess you are trying to load the file system drivers for your file system as modules rather than having them compiled directly into the kernel. In general this won't work. If you know how to compile your kernel I'd take a look at this. If not it is something you will need to research. Also which kernel versions are you changing between? If it is 2.4x to 2.6x you may have to edit your fstab file and grub to reflect this. Also there sare some directories you may have to create at such as /sys - depending on the options you selected. Lastly why are you changing? If you previous kernel works, why change it?

If nothing is broken then there is nothing to fix. So perhaps just waiting for FDC 3.0 would be better.

GJ

just from personal experience. not a linux pro here but, when i installed it, it did the same thing. I fixed it by bumping the swap partition up from 500mb to 1g. My senses told me it was filling up or sumn?.>> i dunno but it worked.

If nothing is broken then there is nothing to fix.

That sentence is an anathema to my whole view of why linux is a Good Thing . I strongly disagree with you.

And I really strongly probably don't care very much.

There is much to be said for learning. Regrettably my own experience of Linux has been gained by things being broken or via my own habit of breaking them.

However that does not mean I would recommend the same course of action to everyone.

I think the question, 'what is it you are trying to fix?' is probably always a valid one - even when that means that this may cause you to break more things in the process of seeking a fix.

If you have no goal, no objective in your tinkering, then what is it you are hoping to achieve?

There are those who would take things apart just to see how they worked, or to try to make them run faster (and indeed I am one of these) but others just want things to work.

I'm not sure what catagory this falls into, but I kind of got the impression that it was the latter.

GJ

And I really strongly probably don't care very much.

There is much to be said for learning. Regrettably my own experience of Linux has been gained by things being broken or via my own habit of breaking them.

However that does not mean I would recommend the same course of action to everyone.

I think the question, 'what is it you are trying to fix?' is probably always a valid one - even when that means that this may cause you to break more things in the process of seeking a fix.

If you have no goal, no objective in your tinkering, then what is it you are hoping to achieve?

There are those who would take things apart just to see how they worked, or to try to make them run faster (and indeed I am one of these) but others just want things to work.

I'm not sure what catagory this falls into, but I kind of got the impression that it was the latter.

GJ

Yep, fair enough. I didn't mean I'm right and you're wrong, its just horses for courses :) I'm never happy unless I've played around with something till it breaks, so I know exactly how far to push it in the future ;) but then again, I'm a bit of an extreme linux geek/nerd.

Lol, NP. The only point being made is that you should never just randomly do things. You should have a clear idea of what it is you are trying to achieve - even if that does end up breaking other things.

Just saying 'I did it because I did it' is probably just not going to lead anyone very far.

Is this the case here?

Well we shall see I guess.

GJ

Lol, NP. The only point being made is that you should never just randomly do things. You should have a clear idea of what it is you are trying to achieve - even if that does end up breaking other things.

Just saying 'I did it because I did it' is probably just not going to lead anyone very far.

Hehehe, here our opinions differ greatly again, I'm afraid :rofl:

Very often, even if something is working perfectly well and there is no real reason to do so, I will start poking around in config files or source files, and changing things that look interesting. Just for the fun of it. To see what happens. Who knows, I might stumble across some kind of improvement... at the very least, I've expanded my knowledge a bit. And isn't that what life is about?

So you are saying you would do it without having a single clue why you were doing it, or what the possible outcome might be?

I can see the point if for example you understand code - or were at least hard core enough to understand the potential of some of your actions. But utter blind randomness? How can randomness of this kind ever prove constructive? Surely you would spend most of your time saying ''Ooops, I sure wish I hadn't f*cked that up?''

That sounds more like vandalism than curiosity.

GJ

Anyway, we are kind of off the point. These are the things you do. I still wouldn't advocate your somewhat 'unique' approach to everyone. Particularly to someone who is just learning.

I mean how helpful is telling someone to randomly edit a bunch of config files of their choosing likely to prove to them anyway?

That's just silly.

GJ

OK yeah, I see your point now, its not complete blind randomness, because I can generally follow the source code well enough to know at least a little about what I'm doing - enough to avoid completely screwing the app up. I play around taking out chunks of code for features I don't use to try to make it load faster, etc... I agree that true random changing of stuff would be a really bad idea (as you say, everything would break, lol) But I never implied that my tinkerings were random in the first place, just that I don't generally have any kind of goal set for them when I start.

We've gone mightily off-topic, here... but its been a fun lil' discourse :)

Well just so you know, there are people here who are a long way off from being able to read the source code - let alone understand what the possible implications of doing so might be. The best place to start then is the fundamentals. If someone's souncard is working then there isn't much point in telling them to break it now is there?

So if it aint broke...

Now if you want to use Linux as a platform on which to learn programming - so that later you can go off and fiddle with config files and with the underlying code itself then there is probably no better platform to do it on.

However I think answers have to be appropriate to the question at hand. Right now I don't feel - or I don't get the sense that saying to this person that they should learn to decode the underlying base and programming language of the linux kernel itself (since installing a new kernel IS the topic of the thread) really is an appropriate answer.

It may be, as you put it, extreme, but does it make any sense?

I think you made the mistake in thinking that the answer was directed at you. But since you didn't ask the question, how could it be?

You may like to think about this before making similar comments in future.

Just a thought.

GJ

It may be, as you put it, extreme, but does it make any sense?

It isn't the best thing to do in the situation, no. But then again I never said it was... I was simply stating why I disagreed with your point of view. An aside, as it were. That doesn't mean that I profess my opinion to be any more valid than yours, or the original poster's, however.

I think you made the mistake in thinking that the answer was directed at you. But since you didn't ask the question, how could it be?
Which answer?
You may like to think about this before making similar comments in future.

Yessir, sorry sir! :blush:

Just a thought.

All my posts are just thoughts...

Well like I said the question wasn't, ''If I know about programming and how to hack code, is it a good idea for me to edit the underlying souce code of various applications in order to test the results and to see if it is possible to find improvements?''

If that had been the question undoubtedly the answer would have been yes! But you didn't ask that question. Indeed no one has.

I'm sorry if I sound schoolmaster-ish (ugg! grammar) lol, maybe it's my training comming out in me, but as I said answers have to be appropriate. And indeed what is appropriate for you may not be appropriate for others.

But we don't even know yet what an appropriate answer would be, since the guy hasn't come back and asked. Lol.

I still think it's a valid point though. I mean if someone's video card is working perfectly, I'm not going to suddenly say say to them, ok now you should hack the source code for your video driver until you break it just to see what will happen.

Not unless they are in a similar position to you to at least understand some of the implications of their actions.

Lol, I won't labour the point, maybe I already have. But generally answers are only really appropriate and consistent when they are directed at you, which this one wasn't.

No one was telling you not to hack code.

So long as we are finally clear about that maybe we can move on?

GJ

So long as we are finally clear about that maybe we can move on?

Yes, lets do that. Sounds like we're finished here. :)

Now we just have to wait and see if the original poster is going to venture back into this thread... I think we might have scared them off ;)

Yes, lets do that. Sounds like we're finished here. :)

Now we just have to wait and see if the original poster is going to venture back into this thread... I think we might have scared them off ;)

nope you didn't :p

was watvhing my topic closely

haha

well i updated my kernel

because i see updating is necesary on systems

you update ur windows to right ;)

and i did it with the built in red hat network update thing :)

i'm trying to enlarge the Swap partition ATM

hope that helps

i'll keep you up 2 date

BTW

i wanted to update from standard FC2 kernel to the newest

don't know the excact numbers though

To update your kernel (and anything else you have installed), you can open up a terminal, and execute

yum update as root.

It will see if there are any updated versions on the the repositories you have listed in your yum.conf file. (Y)