XPSP2 ignoring HOSTS file settings

Hello,

New to the NEOWIN thing, but am thoroughly impressed with the wealth of info. So, lets try this one:

I use a HOSTS file on my XP box to hit specific IP addresses. Anyone who's used HOSTS files knows that you can type www.domain.com in the browser and you'll go to whatever IP address is associated with that domain in the HOSTS file. Great for hitting IP addresses for test-builds of sites on a development server, for example.

So, this HOSTS file and the above process worked perfectly on a daily basis. Then, i upgraded to XPSP2 and now it appears as though the HOSTS file does not work. No matter what settings i make to the HOSTS file, IE just ignores them and goes to the (live) www.domain.com.

None of the new XPSP2 firewall, security or settings dialogs contain anything concerning this. I've logged in as Administrator and attempted the same HOSTS file tweeks but to no joy. I cannot find a single warning concerning this on the build-up to XPSP2.

I am about to ghost the box back to baseline and start over again, juuuuust to be sure. However, has *anyone else* heard or run into similar issues?

Any advice is welcomed...

seannarae

---------------------------

dance like it hurts...

love like you need the money...

work when people are watching...

www.seanna.com

HOSTS file work fine for me. In fact it is my prefered method to block certain objectional material.

The host file will be ignored if a proxy is enabled in your browser.

Disable any proxies in your browser.

You can check if it a browser only problem by running nslookup

Second the host file can be overridden in netowrk TCP/IP properties.

Make sure the Network Properties->TCP/IP properties->WINS->Enable LMHOSTS lookup checkbox is checked.