AMD OR INTEL?

167 members have voted

1. 1. AMD OR INTEL?

• AMD
    • INTEL
    • I DONT CARE.

Originally posted by SHoTTa35

but if you think about it they must be sorta good since everyone (including you guys here) compare them to P4s at higher Mhz (sometimes even 600Mhz difference! I wouldn't dare compare my 166mhz to a 866mhz P3 :) hehe but oh well :)

This is SOOO true ;) nice post. one of the first i enjoyed reading.

when AMD moves to the .13 cores. The AMD processors are gonna be just a little bit less expensive than the P4s. Then Intel will rule the world!

Originally posted by SHoTTa35

well i like em both... for laptops i want a P3 but for Desktops i rather an Athlon. In my experience my system runs much faster doing normal stuff, like browsing the net and opening Word, Outlook and stuff like that.. they just seem to run faster on my Athlon system than on the P3 system i had. Everyone seems to compare P4s with Athlons when they aren't that similar and don't have the same power (mhz), even tho the Athlons (T-birds and XPs) aren't necessarily the top dog (obviously) but if you think about it they must be sorta good since everyone (including you guys here) compare them to P4s at higher Mhz (sometimes even 600Mhz difference! I wouldn't dare compare my 166mhz to a 866mhz P3 :) hehe but oh well :)

So AMD for me based off my tests and not some benchmarks :)

BUT.. the 166 Pentium and the 833 PIII have ROUGHLY the same IPC. the AthlonXP and the P4s do not!

Originally posted by AMDTBurnt

when AMD moves to the .13 cores. The AMD processors are gonna be just a little bit less expensive than the P4s. Then Intel will rule the world!

Just a little less than P4's ?

Did I read that right, am I drunk ?

Moving to a smaller fab makes the processors LESS espensive, since they are able to make more processors per wafer.

How people keep going on and on about how intels rock and AMD's are a piece of trash and a whole lot you them haven't seen both sides of the fence.

I know some of yall have so this isn't directed agianst yall persay.

I have 6 AMD's that i have built in the last two months. 7 if you count the dual. None, and i repeat, NONE have had problems except two. Those two were human error also. I had ECS K7S5A's on all of the computers and i switched two of them to a Tyan Tiger MP and a Epox 8KTA3L+. Those were my computer and my little brothers computer respectivly. (Sorry for spelling) I do have some little quirks tho. I do wish it was silenter. Maybe its my Lian Li case with around 4 fans, maybe not. I have my brothers computer open without case, its not all that loud because i have stock everything. My cousins 1.7ghz P4 Dell (i know i am shaking also) is extremely silent. He told me that right when he hooked everything up it was dead silent and untill recently its been making noise. I have to look into it but other then that its ok. We can't really run benchmarks because i have a GeForce3 and he is a GeForce2MX so that wouldn't be fare. Also he only has 512megs of RDram and me at a gig of DDR. He did pay about 1.5times more then i did though.

Conclusion, sorta

AMD

Advantages:cheap, fast, something about a IPC being at four and the intel with two and the apple G4 at 8 or something, easy to build (im 14 and i did a couple systems and i should be doing two more soon), i love um, also they are stable, like a rock, i have had my brothers computer running a seti queue server for more then two days now all the while playing games

Disadvantages:loud?, not really hot because my duallie is at just under 40C right when i restart and go to the BIOS and check the temps.. after playing quake for some hours..

Intel

Advantages:quiet, i heard somewhere that once intels reach really highspeeds like 3ghz+ they will kick AMD butt, but i think the hammer's have something to say about that.

Disadvantages:expensive,

Correct me if i'm wrong. I know i wasnt really elobrate or anything but its 9:30 and i'm tired because i had track yesterday and went to sleep at 12:00and i woke up at 6 today

AMD vs INtel thread #999999999999999

Amd and Intel are very different companies. Intel had good r&d department. They do lots of powerfull stuff. Amd is also good because they deliver a good price/performance ratio.

plz: Amd doesn't only make Xp and Intel doesn't only make P4. Look at big picture!!!

my amd system has been down maybe 3 hours since i got it, runs fine, never crashes, only reboots are when i install something.

when i first got it lots of crashes, but they where vid card related and i fixed thoose.

but then again my roomates intel 1.7 has been running as my server so he's up just as much. reboots way more then me though

i currently have a celeron 900 and a AMD 900 and the AMD out powers the cleron 2:1 but software assistance such as for servers when you ring for assistance they ask what processor you are using. they dont care if your using the AMD processor it was designed for the intel so they arent gonna help unless you got the intel processor

Originally posted by wildliquid

i currently have a celeron 900 and a AMD 900 and the AMD out powers the cleron 2:1 but software assistance such as for servers when you ring for assistance they ask what processor you are using. they dont care if your using the AMD processor it was designed for the intel so they arent gonna help unless you got the intel processor

What ?

First of all AMDTBURNT- learn to edit your post.

Originally posted by AMDTBurnt

/me has tons of troubles with the AMD processors! crashes all the time!

I think your just BSing your way trhough this and being biased towaeds intel, because of your "human error" problems with amd

Anyway, heres my say on the subject.

Intel: very quiet, expensive, faster MHz

AMD: Loud because of cooling, better benchmarks

I have both of them, and havnt had any major problems with either, the only reason i would ever buy an INTEL over an AMD however, is because i like to leave my computer on all night, and my amd is so loud because of cooling, that i cant.

Originally posted by twist

faction they aren't that loud :p

Yes they are. My damn rig sounds like freakin afterburners firing when you power it up. I grip on to my desk like death so i dont fly backwards through the wall dont ya know. Feel the power baby. Phoar !! :p

AMD all the way! Even my Athlon XP 1700+ kicks P4 1.6 ghz out of the way. But Intel recently have released its "Northwood" based P4 2.4 ghz which only slightly better than XP 2100+

yah i know, mines super loud, thank god my speakers are louder :p

i've got enough fans i think it's gonna take off or something.

lianli case, 4 fans, ps 2 fans, gfx card fan, bridge fan, 7200rpm processor fan.

its like having a helicopter in my room :p

Originally posted by twist

7200rpm processor fan.

its like having a helicopter in my room :p

Just that last one is your helicopter :D

Just a little FYI:

As far as I recall the XP 2100+ ran in the 200 dollar range, while the P$ 2.4 ran in the 600 dollar range, I found that information at THG, and of course prices do change.

So say you pay 300 for a 2100+ and 500 for a P4 2.4, that's a saving of 200.00.

Maybe you guys should use a little of that 200 to get some sound proofing, it's easy to do and has a nice impact on the noise your system creates, also bigger fans with lower rpm's are a good idea.

And you'll STILL spend less money for a 2100+ with sound proofing then you would for a P4 2.4.

I'm not going to get into details but I personally prefer AMD. I know everone has there preference but this is mine and I'm not going to try and convince anyone otherwise.