Ikernel.exe error (RPC server unavailable)

the installshield engine (ikernel.exe) could not be launched.

The RPC server is unavailable

Ok so i've got this error ever since I installed service pack 2. I can temporerily fix it by going to C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Engine\6\Intel 32\ and opening ikernel.exe, but the program closes after a few seconds.

I've tried putting it into the startup folder, but it still disappears.

I've also gone onto the installshield website to try and find the latest version of installshield, but it seems to be aimed only at developers. The only way of sorting this out i think is for somebody to zip up their Installshield Folder and maybe send me it over mIRC/soulseek, or something.

I've also tried all of the possible fixes i found on google but they are no help.

:pinch:

• 3 months later...

im having the same problem, searched good and tryed a fix i found (restarting, woah) didn't work. i know its an old thread but help, i dunno what the DCOM service is, don't see it anywere

Edited by Dallas

An update for the PowerDVD program.

Been tracing this problem down and think it is related to DCOM Server Process (mine is stuck in "starting" state.

I got passed the RPC error after enabling simple TCP/IP services and the DHCP Client. Both were related to the DCOM issue that was causing the RPC error. I am not sure I can recreate the error but if I do, I will post my fix. I am not satisfied buy just enabling services I know I do not need.