No more warez.

That's right, I can honestly say I haven't downloaded any warez since I installed Linux. Why? Because there is no need! All the GNU software available to me has made me fully convert to Linux. The only time I do run Windows is in a VM, and that's for Studio MX 2004! (Sadly there aren't any good alternatives to Dreamweaver or Flash yet) But for everything else there are free alternatives, which all suit my minimalist taste (un-cluttered UI with powerful features).

What I'm saying here, is that with the rise of Linux (deny it if you will), will mean a decline in illegal software sharing. This is because free in the Linux world doesn't mean less quality or ad-ware, quite the reverse.

Just my view :)

Odd.

But now that you mention it, it does feel good to realize that I don't have anything illegal on my system, either.

It's amazing, because in the Windows World, you hear so many of your friends and aquaintences mention how they used the same XP disk on all of their machines at home, or same with Office, or other programs that they "shared" with friends. :ninja:

Illegal software usually falls into the hands of the inept user. My Linux went from hobbyist platform to full scale production server because I'm able to work around any problems using the source code.

using p2p programs to share free software will help revolutionize things. maybe it'll snowball, with more and more people switching to linux, and p2p helping distribute legal programs efficiently and quickly. that'd be cool` :D

You have to admit though some software pricings for windows based OS's are insane.. come on 400 - 500 $ for Photoshop O_O''

Luckily I got my copy from school, but I can't say i'm warez free just yet. (thinking of trying linux though)

Knight'

If you have Dreamweaver, it runs under Crossover Office. You can even download it to see if it works, then buy it if you like how it works. :yes:

@markjensen

I'll check them out, if it's a reasonable price I may buy a copy, if not I'll wait for a port :whistle:

Okay I'm sold, but they don't have MX2004 support :(

Edited by Knight'

You have to admit though some software pricings for windows based OS's are insane.. come on 400 - 500 $ for Photoshop O_O''

Luckily I got my copy from school, but I can't say i'm warez free just yet. (thinking of trying linux though)

Photoshop is a GREAT program and it IS worth the money... However, its aimed at professionals. There are many cheaper/free options for the casual user.

What I'm saying here, is that with the rise of Linux (deny it if you will), will mean a decline in illegal software sharing. This is because free in the Linux world doesn't mean less quality or ad-ware, quite the reverse.

If all software was open source, there wouldn't be Paintshop or Doom 3 to pirate, because there would have been no way to finance their expensive creation. Free is good, but the world still needs the sort of projects that can't be done for love alone.

If all software was open source, there wouldn't be Paintshop or Doom 3 to pirate, because there would have been no way to finance their expensive creation. Free is good, but the world still needs the sort of projects that can't be done for love alone.

So true !

If developpers weren't paid for their programs, someday they will stop doing it. Writing open source code doesn't pay the "real life" bills

That's right, I can honestly say I haven't downloaded any warez since I installed Linux. Why? Because there is no need! All the GNU software available to me has made me fully convert to Linux. The only time I do run Windows is in a VM, and that's for Studio MX 2004! (Sadly there aren't any good alternatives to Dreamweaver or Flash yet) But for everything else there are free alternatives, which all suit my minimalist taste (un-cluttered UI with powerful features).

Just my view :)

Ever heard of something called, games?

Some people don't play games much, like me. I can get Rollercoaster Tycoon 1/2 running in Linux via WINE. I use consoles for (games).

And that's good! I've never had anything illegal on my computer even with Windows. :cool:

But with Linux, it really doesn't have any costly software, and software on it (like WordPerfect 8.x) is extremely cheap (~$30) so thats good. :)

you have to strike the right balance of money for software

some things are rediculously overpriced...

I woul BUY photoshop if it were cheaper, but i can't afford it at the price it is

The one thing that keeps stopping me from using Linux is a messenger type proggy. Is there one that will run on linux and allow me to login to msn messenger?

All me buddies are on that :)

you have to strike the right balance of money for software

some things are rediculously overpriced...

I woul BUY photoshop if it were cheaper, but i can't afford it at the price it is

If you were a pro designer, then you'll be able to afford it :rolleyes:

Photoshop,Ilustrator,Premiere,3Dmax,Maya,Lightwave,are worth every $ invested.

If you lived from using these tools,you will know it pays of in a few months in having them LEGAL.

And that is the whole point,when going to market with something you produced,it is excpected to be produced with legal software.

For instance AutoCad writes owner data in every dxf and dwg you make,so you send it with illegal code and loose the contest,and money you could of have made.

good for you

Personally, I dont want to use linux and cant use linux because of many program im using

Matlab, maple, wingem, mathcad and other process eng. app ppl dont know

and yes, these app cost a LOT!

but they are absolutly necessary for me and there is nothing under linux that can compared with these...

The one thing that keeps stopping me from using Linux is a messenger type proggy. Is there one that will run on linux and allow me to login to msn messenger?

All me buddies are on that :)

i think there's a bit more than that stopping you from using linux... :whistle:

yep... that's what some people have to understand though :yes:

good for you

Personally, I dont want to use linux and cant use linux because of many program im using

but they are absolutly necessary for me and there is nothing under linux that can compared with these...

Ok.

good for you

I've used maple 6 and matlab in linux before. Never tried the others you mentioned.