No more warez.

No. OpenGL-games work, but the proprietary DirectX-games are a bit of a hassle because our friends over at Redmond is keeping it to themselves. Heck, just try to implement a full featured version of a proprietary application without getting any specifications.

Thanks for adding to my "Linux is semi functional" point.

Believe me if I didn't want to use advanced clustering for a few machines I would have installed XP and forgotten Linux in 2 secs. :rolleyes:

I guess both are semi functional. Sure some of MS' server OSes will do clustering, but nothing as well as *nix.

Hey guess what though? Linux will play a lot of windows games, but not all of them of course.

So now with your arguement we now have a bunch of semi functional OS', both windows and *nix.

OpenBSD is a derivitive of AT&T UNIX and since there is no true UNIX (it was broken up many years ago) you can't compare it to UNIX.
OpenBSD is a derivative of NetBSD which is a derivative of 386BSD (FreeBSD) which is hardly a derivative of AT&T UNIX (SysV) as much of "AT&T UNIX is actually BSD.
On the other hand, OpenBSD lacks the performance and features. If you want something free, secure, fast, flexible and without the politics, go for FreeBSD. Just to mention it.

If you want huge support and development support for the latest technologies, FreeBSD

If you want huge platform support, NetBSD

If you want security, OpenBSD (disabling features by default in exchange for security does affect performance, even worse on Windows).

Thanks for adding to my "Linux is semi functional" point.

Oddly enough you seem to change "points" everytime your argument is detroyed. Would you call MacOS "semi functional", as it doesn't have the same level of game support as, say, Windows? Also you must consider that game support or lack thereof does not determine the functionality of an operating systems. You must consider the needs of those beyond yourself. I don't play computer games. Do I have a desire to, NO. That's why I have a PS2 (it's much for fun to sit around with friends drinking beer and playing Madden).

Do I have a Win box? Yep. Why? Various reasons. One of which is running XPSP2 (read: placebo) through its paces. Another is so that I can give an objectionable view of various platforms. On that note, don't even try to start back in with the whole "ripping off the UI" garbage.

Edited by El_Cu_Guy

So now with your arguement we now have a bunch of semi functional OS', both windows and *nix.

You know, as simple and obvious as that statement is, there is a LOT of truth in it.

Every individual/corporation/government department has their own needs.

And each will find the strengths and features in one or more of the various OS selections.

For me, Linux does 100% of what I need, so I don't have Windows installed. Other people have different needs/wants (directX games for some) that dictate what OS suits them. Some may even find that they prefer different aspects of more than one OS, and dual-boot, or have a separate PC (thinking Mac here) for specific primary uses.

Photoshop is a GREAT program and it IS worth the money... However, its aimed at professionals.  There are many cheaper/free options for the casual user.

photoshop may be a great gfx editing tool but it ain't worth ?600 i remember i paid ?89 for my xp home upgrade disc damn rip off, i've seen win2k selling still at a stupid price of over ?100, i can't believe people pay so much for a c:x :x

and games are a rip off as well, not saying that cus i can't afford many at the mo i'm just stating the obvious.

for the price of win2k you could buy a mobo, case, hdd and maybe a cdrw....

photoshop may be a great gfx editing tool but it ain't worth ?600 i remember i paid ?89 for my xp home upgrade disc damn rip off, i've seen win2k selling still at a stupid price of over ?100, i can't believe people pay so much for a c:x :x

and games are a rip off as well, not saying that cus i can't afford many at the mo i'm just stating the obvious.

for the price of win2k you could buy a mobo, case, hdd and maybe a cdrw....

Then that's your priogative. That means that you vote with your dollar and not buy them. It still doesn't give you the right to rip it (not saying you do).Know what I mean? Just because a certain car is too expensive and is a rip off doesn't give you the right to steal it.

Linux is cool, i just don't have enough time to completely migrate as of yet - thats the only thing stopping me - as i have a lot of school work that needs the computer, and to spend a day or 2 installing Gentoo Linux (my distro of choice) would have detrimental effects on my school projects.

Time is money, as they all say...

Oddly enough you seem to change "points" everytime your argument is detroyed. Would you call MacOS "semi functional", as it doesn't have the same level of game support as, say, Windows? Also you must consider that game support or lack thereof does not determine the functionality of an operating systems. You must consider the needs of those beyond yourself. I don't play computer games. Do I have a desire to, NO. That's why I have a PS2 (it's much for fun to sit around with friends drinking beer and playing Madden).

That is what I also have a console for. I use my PC for work (and Rollercoaster Tycoon, cause it sin't on anything else). So, I am not tid down to "games". Anyway, I use mostly Open Source Software or Software that runs on Linux (Such as WordPerfect), not closed source stuff. And I can't afford most of it. :(

Then that's your priogative. That means that you vote with your dollar and not buy them. It still doesn't give you the right to rip it (not saying you do).Know what I mean? Just because a certain car is too expensive and is a rip off doesn't give you the right to steal it.

Didn't I say that too? :p :D :rofl:

It makes me giddy to see all the Linux fanatics praise the Linux OS yet STILL NEED thier Windows OS to complete thier computer experience.

and yes, I am a Windows supporter. and yes, I've tried all flavors of Linux (who hasn't so please quit with the "here's another guy disputing Linux without trying it" b.s.)

yep, keep being giddy, thats cool with me, I run a windows machine at work because "Its work" and I'll run whatever they tell me to run, my laptop and my webserver at work run Linux because I choose to run that, plus, while alternatives exist, I perfer runing outlook 2003 to comunicate with my exchange server at work ,cause its just easier that way.

Second, I play computer games, alot of computer games, and I want to enjoy them "now" if there is a linux port, I'll run it on linux, but frankly, I just wanna play the game, regardless of what os is running,

Pay your license fee for windows, I know I'm running XP that I got from my MSDN at work, and thats the only licence I need.

OpenBSD is a derivative of NetBSD which is a derivative of 386BSD (FreeBSD) which is hardly a derivative of AT&T UNIX (SysV) as much of "AT&T UNIX is actually BSD.

BSD was designed from looking at the AT&T UNIX code and before 1991 had AT&T UNIX code in it (The reason for the USL vs. BSDi case).

Isn't the bottom line that scoobidoobie may have tried Linux and simply found it too hard for him to use? In other words he didn't have the intelligence or the patience or both to KNOW how to make it functional for him? That after trying for a little while and becoming familiar with the extent of his own limitations he concluded that it somehow 'lacked' the functionality that he was seeking?

All I hear is bitterness, possibly from someone who tried and failed to get to grips with what Linux really can do - and as a concequence is hitting out at everyone who has enjoyed considereable success in obtaining that functionaility in order to try to make them feel as small and useless as he obviously does.

Isn't that what the real issue is here?

The bottom line is I do want Linux to be successful on the desktop. That is on MY desktop at least, maybe not neccesarily yours, maybe not everyone's but for those who are willing to try and have the guile and patience and intelligence to make it work for them, I certainly want it to be there to be offered as an alternative.

Ultimately you forget, we don't altogether NEED popularity to survive. There are enough of us to be a pain in your ass - and a thorn in MS's side for much of the forseeable future - and one thing you can be certain above all else is that we're not going away any time soon.

For now we serve a purpose - our 'pathetic market share' has grown from the number 3 OS currently in use, to the number 2 slot - thus convieniently displacing that other disfunctional OS, namely Apple OS X. (Given that all of your arguments could easily be applied here too).

My advice is give up shouting about Linux, go back to Windows and enjoy it. We in turn will stick around doing what we do. And if we never encounter each other again, all the better. Your contribution to what Linux is or isn't will continue to be ignored by those who know differently. Only time will solve this argument. And I for one am content to let time take its course.

GJ

Isn't the bottom line that scoobidoobie may have tried Linux and simply found it too hard for him to use? In other words he didn't have the intelligence or the patience or both to KNOW how to make it functional for him?

Chill dude, there's no need to up the stakes to this level of personal attacks. He hasn't even posted in four days. Let it go. Linux isn't for everybody but neither is any other OS.

You know...

I think that this particular thread has lived out to and beyond where it needed to go. It went a bit off-topic and now it serves no useful purpose.

If there is any new conversation to be made, I recommend creating a new thread. :yes:

* thread closed * (because it would not die on its own)

And, for the record, while scoobiedoobie may not see eye-to-eye with other people participating in this thread, there is no need to infer that the problems were with him, as a person. The GNU/Linux world is a good place to be for some people, and not for others. It is a choice to be made, and it doesn't say anything poorly on those who have tried and have made their choice - regardless of which OS they prefer.