Windows 98/ME and XP Dual Boot help.

hey people im trying have a dual boot comp with win ME and XP, i have to upgrade from win 98 to get ME and i have xp pro full install disc. i know i have to create 2 partitions and stuff but i have no idea how,

could some please, in detail go through all the steps i would need to do to install a dual boot, me/xp system?

(plz do note that my ME cd is just an upgrade and i have to install 98 then upgrade)

thnx in advance

first install ME on primary partition that is c:. then only install xp on the other partition with new installation(not upgrade). XP will automatically configure the boot menu where u can select the os to boot.

hope this helps:)

You shouldn't need any partition software, after ME/98 is installed, pop in your XP CD and when you get to the installation options, select "New Install". The install program will automatically make a new partition for you, all you have to do is choose the partition size and File System.

Originally posted by JZolloXP

You shouldn't need any partition software, after ME/98 is installed, pop in your XP CD and when you get to the installation options, select "New Install". The install program will automatically make a new partition for you, all you have to do is choose the partition size and File System.

i thought new install would overright everything on the drive?

yeah me too but I could be wrong. that's why i suggest going ahead and creating the two partitions before starting.. but this of course will erase anything on the entire disk

I dual boot 98SE/XP Pro. My 98 is on my C: and XP is on my D:

Easiest thing to do is to create multiple partitions and install the 9x base first onto the C: and then install XP onto D: or another partition.

If you have a single partition, specify a different location for the Windows directory (i.e. maybe "Win98" for the 9x %windir% and leave "Windows" for the XP %windir%) and it will work fine. However, installing them both onto the same partition may not be the best solution since there is always the possibilty of having conflicts.

can my partitions be fat 32? heres what i plan on doing:

- boot up with 98 boot disk and delete all partitions,

- then make a new partition (100% in size)

- then format my c:

- then install 98.

- then upgrade 98 to ME

- install partition magic and make that partition about 700 megs in size. and make the other partition as big as it can go.

- install xp onto my new partition

does it matter if partitions are fat 16/32 or ntsc? are these steps correct?

If you install ME then install XP on another partition, when you boot to XP C will be the ME drive. To me this has always been undesirable. Here is what I would do. You will need Partition Magic and System Commander from VTech Communications (The BEST multibooter)

Since you are upgrading to ME (OS Upgrades are always kind of iffy) leave ME on the first parition on the first drive. You can leave it FAT32 if you like. Create a second partition then set it active (Advanced -> Set Active) then reboot to the XP CD. When you install XP you should see that it will be labeled C: in the Setup.

Once the install is done. Install System Commander and it will allow you to boot to ME or XP. It should detect everything automatically. It is easily the best multibooter. It will even do partitioning in a crisis (I don't recommend it)

I hope that helps.

In order to dual boot your primary boot partition must be fat32

It's usually better to keep different OSs on different partitions

If I was doing a dual boot, I would have at least 3 partitions one for each of the OS's and at least one for programs and data

It's also a good idea to put your swapfile on a separate harddisk from the OS if you have more than one harddisk.

Originally posted by JZolloXP

this methodology causes a MESS! and places BOTH OS's on the same Drive and Partition. It negates the ever simple rule of using

1 OS per partition, try cleaning up that mess if you wanna uninstall one the OS's..not too smart. try gettting through that jungle.

Microsoft and Common Knowledge says Use Seperate Drives or Partitions for differant OS's.

Multibooting With Windows XP:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/usi...d/multiboot.asp

One OS Per Partition

Before installing Windows XP and an earlier version on the same machine, you must prepare your hard disk with different partitions.

When you install Windows on a new or reformatted hard disk, the Setup program typically does not partition your hard disk automatically. To create multiple partitions, choose Advanced Options during Setup and follow the instructions to create and name multiple partitions. You can also create partitions using Fdisk.

If you have already installed Windows, and you have only one partition, you must reformat and partition your hard drive before you can multiboot.

You can divide your hard disk into multiple partitions, and each partition can function as a separate logical drive. For example, logical drives C: and D: can both exist on the same hard disk, but function as separate disks. You should install each operating system on a different partition. Then install applications on the same partition as the operating system with which you run them. If an application is used with two different operating systems, install copies on both partitions. Placing each operating system in a separate partition ensures that it will not overwrite crucial files used by the other OS.

A basic disk can contain up to four partitions. Each partition can be formatted for use by a file system, such as FAT32 or NTFS.

thanx fer going through all the trouble of finding that info.

well i screwed up, i had win ME installed and i had partition magic do some partitioning but i didnt realize that it had to do it in dos so when i rebooted it started and since my new partition was the one i set active, thats the partition my computer tried to load in, but of course there was no OS to load, so i used my win98 startup disk to set my first partition active but restarted my comp but then something else went wrong so now i have to start from square one.

here are my steps, anyone want to proofread for me?

1)delete all partitions using fdisk

2)create a new dos partition that uses 100% space

3)format c:

4)restart

5)install 98

6)upgrade to ME

7)install partition magic

8)create a new partition as big as possible leaving my windowsME partition to be as small as possible (aprox 650 megs)

9)leave my winME partition set to active

10)restart and let it partition

11)once in windows ME again, popin me XP cd and do full install

12) i have the feeling im going to have to do something of significance here, or maybe 2. can anyone tell me any tips for this part?

will i be able to resize my partitions after i install xp?

so whaddya all think of my battle strategy? any to comment on? suggestions? tips? thoughts? i really dont wanna screw up for the 5th time

Skip the Upgrade to ME just use the ME Disk to Start With, if its an upgrade version of ME it'll ask you for an earlier addition of windows to verify it! and if you're starting over ditch Partition Magic. Make your partitions in FDISK!

here's what to do

1)delete all partitions using fdisk

2)create a new PRIMARY dos partition that uses x amout of space

C:

3)create a new Primary DOS Parition that uses x amouth of space

D:

4)restart

5) Format Each

5)Start ME Setup / Use 98 Cd To Verify druing setup. NO Need to do 2 installs. Install on C:

6)once in windows ME, put in your XP CD and Restart!

7) SEtup Your BIOS for BOOTing to CD's or Get The XP Setup Boot Disks (6 floppies req) click here >>> Obtaining Windows XP Setup Boot Disks

8)Boot To XP CD-ROM From BIOS or Use the Setup Disks on the Microsoft Site, and Install XP Outside of Windows.

9) follow instructtions and install XP on D: let setup do its thing!

bang you have a mulitboot!

and if you wanna play with partition magic later after all your installations FINE! install it but make sure you're using PM7 its the first and current XP Compatible Version, if you're using 6, sorry you have to upgrade.

Don't PUt the Part Magic into the equation for installation if you're starting with a Clean Formated Disk Paritioned By FDISK.

any VERSION That is an UPGRADE DISK CAN INSTALL CLEAN AND FULL

YOU"LL JUST ASKED TO PLACE IN AN OLD COPY OF WINDOWS WITHER 98 or 95, it works, I DO IT ALL THE TIME!

i have XP Upgrade edition and I Install it clean All the time i just have to put in my windows 2000 CD its the same Idea

The Upgrade edition is a "Special Price" Edition its no differant the the "FULL CD"s the purpose is to make sure you've owned a previous copy of windows, so that you're not stealing from microsoft, as long as you've had an OLD Genuine Windows CD from Microsoft 9x Prior to ME you can INstall the ME "Upgrade Edition" Clean And FulL From The DOS Prompt at the beginning of the install you'll be asked to place in the old cdrom to verify it.

---

in fact i bet you wasted your money and bough the XP FULL Edition , well you could have saved 100.00 US by just buying the XP Upgrade. because your ME disk can be used as a verifacation for that. Microsoft doesn't clearly say this on the box because they know people will be foolish.

--

also please reread my post above i have been editing it.

i've never once bought a full copy of any windows operating system because i know of this method. all my cd's are upgrade edtions, when i need to install clean all i do is grab my fathers 98 Full CD from his Gateway and use it to verify mine, I've saved a S*** Load of money from microsoft this way, learn this trick and you save money too!

again i thank you for your help. iv already finished installing 98 and am starting on ME so i will continue with my method. IF my method doesnt work, (which is most likely :sleeping: ) i will proceed to try your method.

thnx again :)

xStainDx's post was the best I have seen so far, with the exception that I like to have a third partition that I install my XP/ME apps on (well used to now I only boot XP) and that I wouldn't put the XP cd in and restart, I'd just start the install from within Windows ME and select new install, then check choose the installation partition during setup, however that's just me, and his way is also just fine.

Why would you ask for advice and when he gives you good advice you don't even listen ?

You are wasting time by installing 98SE before ME (not only that but Windows ME is such a horrible POS) All you need to do is install ME and when it asks pop in the 98SE full version.

:s

i chose not to follow his instructions cause i was already half way through my instructions and to go back and start over with what he stated would've added another hour or 2 and i had been installing for the whole friggen day. so as i stated, if this time hadnt worked i would use his method k?!

besides i got a dual boot comp now and everything works perfectly (except for one little problem...) thnx people!

Originally posted by Severe Paradox

i chose not to follow his instructions cause i was already half way through my instructions and to go back and start over with what he stated would've added another hour or 2 and i had been installing for the whole friggen day. so as i stated, if this time hadnt worked i would use his method k?!

besides i got a dual boot comp now and everything works perfectly (except for one little problem...) thnx people!

acutally it would have taken you five to 10 more minutes you wouldn't have had to install 3!!!!!! os's putting in 9x then merging that to ME is really silly talk about left over files and a registry twice the size for nothing. and then install xp, it would have saved you time not made more of it!