IE 6 403 Error

Question

{MC}

hmm, my last post was totally misunderstood and I was basically accused of hacking, so this time around I will try to better clarify my problem.

I have WinXP Pro and IE 6

There was a NON-SECURE PUBLIC website (i.e. www.neowin.net) that I was able to access prior to it going down on April 1st for an upgrade to the forums. I was on the site at the time the forums went down and received a 403 Forbidden error. I figured it was because the upgrade. Hours later when talking to other members of said forum and website (just like neowin) and they said they had access to the website and forums and all upgrades were complete however, when I tried I continued to received the 403 error.

I logged in on my computer under the administrator login, opened IE 6, typed in the web address and was able to access the page with no problems. The same results occured when I logged in winxp on my very own home computer under the guest account. But when I log on the computer on the only account set up besides the guest and admin account I cannot access the public non-secure website.

Now, with the site, I have a POP3 email account on the same server as the website that works fine. I can ping the site using the domain name and IP address but can't access either using IE 6 or any other internet browser for that matter, I have also tried Mozilla, Opera and Netscape to no avail.

I'm not sure how my last post got turned into some hacking thing, but that is not even close to the case. I've been trying to find a solution for the problem the last few days (well since the first) and have posted on three websites and two microsoft newsgroups with almost the exact same post and this was the first time somebody thought i was hacking. Don't know if it's paranoia on your part or just a bad post on mine but i apologize for the misunderstanding and would just like a little help if anybody has any ideas.

6 answers to this question

MxxCon

are you using any local or remote proxy? maybe any banner ad blocking software?

obvious, but did you clear browser cache or tried force refresh?

not sure if this will work but try this

open cmd, run telnet and type

open

get index.html

see what kind of error msg you are getting.

{MC}

I connect to the internet using comcast cable, on my IE 6 settings there isn't any proxy server set. I haven't used a pop-up blocker in a couple of months.

Yes I cleared the temp inet files, cookies and history files. Even deleted the old folders so new ones were generated. Yes I've tried to refresh the page.

I did what you said with telnet, but after I type the open address it says SunOS 5.7 and asks for a login name and password.

Thanks for the help and the ideas, anybody have absolutely anything else I should try let me know.

MxxCon

hmm..if you get l/p prompt on http port it's kinda wierd..unless that site is designed to be password protected..

you sure that it's configured correctly? perhaps you shouldn't mind sharing it w/ us so we can try connecting to it just to see that it's prblm w/ your systen and not server itself.

"Hours later when talking to other members of said forum and website (just like neowin) and they said they had access to the website and forums and all upgrades were complete however, when I tried I continued to received the 403 error."
maybe you got banned for something:ponder: to see if that's the case, try using any public proxy that will hide your ip and see if you can connect, if you can then chaces are you got banned or their server is misconfigured
{MC}

Website here

Also I went to anonymizer.com and was able to access the site. Now if I was banned from the site I wouldn't be able to view it using the admin or guest account on my comp since the settings are the same. I appreciate all the help and i'll contact the guy who sets up the server and have him recheck the settings. He didn't know why I had the problem either.

MxxCon

hmm

if other accounts work but yours does it could mean you did something w/ security/privacy settings, but then it wouldn't affect mozilla/opera..hmm:ermm:

just for the hell of it, scan your system w/ antivirus and ad-aware

{MC}

did the ad-aware and virus check but that didn't work. I think it has to be a server side error. I'll go bug them some more. Thanks for all the help though.