The Universe - An Idea

theory can be argued infinatly.

facts are what are needed. facts we havent got and will never have because we know (fact) that we are not going to be going far into space in the next billion years period. fact.

there may be little green blue or yellow men on another planet somewhere but they will have exactly the same problem we have trying to travel to another planet millions of miles away.

a) time

b) speed

the reason light can travel at 299 792 458 m / s is because it has no mass.

we have mass and any living organism on this planet or any other possably(theory) has mass. mass causes friction the faster it travels. this friction creates heat which we can only survive between a given amount. also the pressure involved would crush us. we cant even travel too far past the speed of sound without flaking out. what im saying is we arent built to travel fast. so. no light speed and warp factor 10 scotty for us.or the aliens for the same resons.

Isnt the friction and effects of high velocity on the human body a result of the gravatational pull of the earth? I just googled it and the space shuttle travels many times faster than the speed of sound when in space and has little to no effect on the astronaughts within due to this very reason (a lack of gravity).

End of the day we will probably never know. Hunams will probably be extinct before our sun even dies, which is just a mouse fart in the universe scale of things. For all we know some other freaky intelligent things may take over from us (as we did the dinosaurs) before this planet is finished. My personal belief is however that the idea of a god is only something a creature so egotistical as humans could fashion. It seems overly self richious and elitist to think that WE are special and WE were created in the image of another, and that everything else on the earth is essentially here for us. What makes us different to any other creature on the earth? What gives us a 'soul' and not a horse, or a whale? Why are we so special? It also annoys me that taking the bible for example; if a man lives his life as a good man, helping others, cues cancer, never harms another and loves his fellow man, but is sceptical about the existance of 'god', and dedicates his life to science and helping others - according to the bible only those who believe in god get to walk beside him in heaven - so therefore this great man would be sent to hell! Its an elitist little club created by small minded pre-historic people desparately trying to explain the universe around them. Its a theory - i could say a giant bunny created everything in the universe by drinking too much tequila and chundering one day - and like someone else said - prove me wrong! no-one can - so why dedicate your life to a single rather far fetched theory? I'd rather except everything as a theory and dedicate my time to finding the true answer, not blindly believing something that i was once told.

sorry for the rant! :)

assume this.

if it has been proved the universe is expanding then it is true to say that it must be of a given size now to expand upon. so its not infinite.

so. if its not infinite then whats outside of the universe.

also, what, how, who, if who is the word, created matter in the first place.

we assume its god. of many names he may have dependant upon your location its beleived an entity we call god created this matter. then who created god.?

now your confused because its impossable to creat something out of nothing unless your on the 911 thread. question.WHO CREATED GOD. what created god. if god doesnt exist then what who created matter.

the greeks of old thought of all this too and im sure they had problems working it out also.

goto bed and think on it id like to hear your views. please non religous its not a religous matter. heheh get it matter.

which came first, the egg or the chicken?

i ask you this. if their is no friction then why does a comet have a trail. ?

simple one. plz2stfu and think what YOU want!

just say point taken. makes it all so00o? much simpler.

time 4 bed. school in the morning child needs to get there. hehe

it has a tail cuz of the sun.

okay, lets say some weird green aliens managed to reach light speed. fine. a million-year trip to earth. how the HELL are they going to make it alive? i mean, no living thing could have that type of lifespan. if they were even just a thousand years away, chances are they visited and we didnt notice. human beings havent been around for so long, and we've only recently (in terms of the planet's history) started to record history. one more thing: their planet of origin would have to be of a similar size as ours in order to survive: remember we have millions of tons of pressure around us (an entire atmosphere and billions of tons of air), which we dont feel because we were concieved and born here. what about them? i mean, even organisms from mars, which isnt that much bigger than us would have a hard time keeping alive in here. i think, since pressure in mars is so much more, they would just behave like jelly, as their bodies cant stay together due to low pressure. if it was the other way aound, and they came from a lil planet like pluto, they would crush under the enormous pressure they would notice. all these factors put together kind of limit the chances of aliens visiting us, without diminishing the chances they exist.

I don't think their bodies would seperate or become jelly like if they came to a planet with less pressure, and also pressure varies at different alititudes. That's why we have pressurized airplanes, or submarines.

Edited by duhk

ok guys i have read ever word on this thread.... to understand what u ppl really think... i just want to mention few things here....

thinking about the next move planets/mass/galixies of the unverise & will be something like a bacteria [which lives for few mins/hours] thinks about when will it see his 50th year[human year] birthday... what i mean to say here is ... compared to the scale of the universe... our existence started trillion of a billon'th of a second ago... and will be soon over... and i bet we cant see much of what is happening in the universe...

about the science, its good ppl are trying to discover/invent/experiment/etc for the sake of science for all us to know more about the universe... and what they have achived is very small in amount... it will take ages of human lifetimes to know about a tiny part of the universe...

well, we cant listen to the ppl who are doing the space study.. cos they do there study on the basis of few older "so-called" facts.. which could later turn out to be wrong then the whole perspective will change... but we should listen to them.. so science about space/universe is more or less science fricition.

i also want to mention... as humans how much have we really evolved?? i dont think we should not even be called humans... cos we lack the most basic thing in ever one of us... Humanity... we have so much of differences among ourselves. that i wonder some day we all will die killing each other... and ppl here fear about aliens... :huh:

well i want to assume [being more optimistic now] that we will survive by not killing each other... but we are certian to die with all the pollution out there which we are causing... we still dint come up with something which will stop this pollution [but we are speaking about space travel :huh: ]

if humans are meant to evolve, then they should evolve from every dimension.. cutting down the egos[& be humans], make a better planet to live in [rather than thinkin how to travel to some other planet & make it an another earth], should start experimenting on a large scale, try to make humans more adaptable to any atomosphere, planet, make humans live for more than 100 years and maybe for more longer life etc.... and many more ...

now coming to the god, we as one of our friend [in above posts] wisely said... "the idea of a god is only something a creature so egotistical as humans could fashion" well there are so many perspectives about god.... but i totally agree with the above statement...

sometimes i feel that god exists... and also he made all of us [humans] as the most smartest beings of the whole universe... and maybe he is thinking that we could make a long way ahead and look around the universe before our existance end... and what i think of all this is.. we are proving god that the smartest are the most dumbest[or may i say.. too smart to live and evolve themselves] beings.. look around, we all are the same...

well there are lot more issues which i can speak here about.. but i think this is good enough to make u ppl understand my stand on this.... :shifty:

Question: Please explain the coefficient of friction on simple machines and in space.

Answer: In space, friction can usually be avoided because there's no gravity pressing things together.But if you press two objects together with the same force in space

as on earth, the friction between them will be the same.

This is the way that I think.

The Universe is HUGE if not infinate (like you said).

How could life just have started? How could a bang happen if there was nothing? It just isn't logical.

<Snipped> Forget this line </Snipped>

The universe is not infinite. At a point long into the future the universe will collapse in on itself and then another universe will be created in a big bang after that. Massive amounts of energy was created in the big bang and as that cooled down matter was created.

Also, when you say breed dogs, their puppy looses DNA information. Now look at that on a much bigger scale. Darwin says we started out from nothing. We just happened. Now lets say that we did come from monkeys, I want to say how. How could a Monkey Gain new DNA to "evolve" into humans? How did the monkeys evolve from X (what ever they say monkeys came from) Everything in the Universe is steadly declining, and it would be phsyically impossable for that to happen.

Their puppies don't "lose" information; genetic parts become dominant over other parts. Once genetic difference is large enough a new "breed" is created. Humans didn't just occur, millions of years of genetic evolution made us who we are. We split off from chimps about 6 million years ago. The monkey evolved from something else, heck IIRC humans have some lizard DNA still in there somewhere. And who said the universe was in a steady decline? The universe is expanding because large chunks of anti-matter are pushing the galaxies apart. What part makes it physically impossible?

I want to leave you with a quote.

A beliver stays awake at night wondering if there is a God, and if there isn't, he as at least been a better person.

An atheist lays awake wondering if there is a God, and if there is, he knows his fate.

So, all atheists are bad people? Only true believers are the good ones? I sure hope that is not what you are saying.

I'll read the whole thread tomorrow but I just wanted to reply to this post, my points are in the quote.

God created one race, one earth, one kind of beings. We are all there is.

Nope... that would require a God. The idea of a sentient creature/being creating a world seems illogical/stupid as there would be no purpose to it - and if it were true then surely he/it would want to intervene; there would be no point just creating a world fully enhabited just to leave it to degenerate such that we are killing each other in an unnecessary way.

Also, that doesn't explain how THEY came to be... they couldn't just SUDDENLY exist, so you are in the same predicament as the big bang theory.

Religion started off by offering sensible moral values... now religions seem to just spread hate and propoganda - and I'm talking as much about Christians (look at the American Christian groups and their sheer stupidity and extreme views) as Muslims or any other of the active groups that try and "recruit" new people.

I just thought of another idea.

I don't believe in God, I think the idea of God is just something for people to believe in so their life is not some horrible mistake and they know they will go somewhere else, may it be Heaven, Hell or where ever else their culture believes in. If the Universe is always expanding and it is Infinite, there has to be a God.

:(

well said, I think the whole idea of god, satan, heaven and hell are just ideas to help people into thinking that we are not alone in the universe.

Religion started off by offering sensible moral values... now religions seem to just spread hate and propoganda - and I'm talking as much about Christians (look at the American Christian groups and their sheer stupidity and extreme views) as Muslims or any other of the active groups that try and "recruit" new people.

Actually religion has always been based on guidelines by reasoning through faith.

Example....

Much of Male/Female equality actually stems from Adam and Lilith. Both were created equal in the same fashion, but when it came time for sex Adam demanded he be on top, Lilith refused him because she was created as an equal and as such would never be beneath him.

This is why after a couple more attempts at woman Eve was created, but with the difference that she was made from Adams rib, a symbol that she would be less than he was.

The trend here is that any woman who believed herself to be equal to a man would be disputed by the faith she followed, but any guesses to which gender wrote these texts????

If we evolved from monkeys, why are they still around? Or why haven't we evolved any more?

We broke off. Around 6 million years ago the first "humans" stood upright and they were part of we know as chimps. We are still part of the "monkey" (homo) family.

I have been thinking about this the past couple of years. I'm wondering what other people think of this idea.

So everyone pretty much agrees the Universe is infinite, never ending and always expanding. Since almost everyone agrees on that, here is my next statement. Since the Universe never ends, that means there are infinite worlds out there, since there are infinite worlds, there has to be other people like us doing exactly the same thing. There also has to be people doing the opposite of what we are doing now. 'Star Wars' is also happening since the Universe is infinite. There has to be aliens, and every imaginable situation, thought, or 'what if' is happening now. This includes every movie, book, thought, opposite is going on.

Anyone care to share other thoughts on this matter?

the very first statement is WRONG! LOAD OF CRAP!

the universe in NOT infinite. in fact, it has been recently calculated that *if* you imagine the universe as a sphere (it is NOT a sphere, but pretend for a sec it is), then the diameter of this sphere is 157 billion light years. this is unimaginably huge, but still finite.

on another note, even if the universe was infinite, what you said is STILL not true, with probability 99.99....9...9...%

/edit: i thought i'd add a proof of the finiteness of the universe:

the universe is finitely many years old - 13.7 bln

it has been expanding at a finite rate

thus, it can't be infinite - its size is the product of its age and the expansion rate, i.e. a product of finitely many (2) finite numbers can't be infinite

Think of that film with Jet Li. "The One" - If u haven't seen it I do recommend it!!!!!

The multiverse theory. Genius. A must watch movie. Plain and simple.

"I just was never given the chance to terminate him."

Jason Strathom was stupendous in it.

I have been thinking about this the past couple of years. I'm wondering what other people think of this idea.

So everyone pretty much agrees the Universe is infinite, never ending and always expanding. Since almost everyone agrees on that, here is my next statement. Since the Universe never ends, that means there are infinite worlds out there, since there are infinite worlds, there has to be other people like us doing exactly the same thing. There also has to be people doing the opposite of what we are doing now. 'Star Wars' is also happening since the Universe is infinite. There has to be aliens, and every imaginable situation, thought, or 'what if' is happening now. This includes every movie, book, thought, opposite is going on.

I am not in the mood (too damn sleepy) to read through this entire thread, so forgive me if what I am about to say has been said before. This said, here are my views:

Just because the universe is infinately big, does not mean that infinate possibilities, concepts or lifeforms exist. The size of something does not effect what happens in, around or to it. How do you justify the notion that infinate size equals infinate possiblity? Sure, there may be an infinate amout of things happening right now (I can neither prove this right or wrong), but these things are not brought about just because the universe is big.

Also, just because a space is infinately large, it does not necessarily mean it has anything in it. The universe could exist infinately, but this does not mean 'matter' (rocks, stars - anything physical) also come in infinate quantity. There could just be a hellova big space with nothing in it. At all.

... there are infinite worlds out there, since there are infinite worlds, there has to be other people like us doing exactly the same thing. There also has to be people doing the opposite of what we are doing now. 'Star Wars' is also happening since the Universe is infinite. There has to be aliens, and every imaginable situation, thought, or 'what if' is happening now. This includes every movie, book, thought, opposite is going on.

You are exactly right. All possiblities are being experienced by All-That-Is. We are supposed to 'remember' how to call forth which Probability we want to experience.

But, there does come a point where the Expansion reverses, it all returns to the Beginning, and after a while, it Explodes again. All this happens over an unimaginably long 'Time'.

I just thought of another idea.

I don't believe in God, I think the idea of God is just something for people to believe in so their life is not some horrible mistake and they know they will go somewhere else, may it be Heaven, Hell or where ever else their culture believes in. If the Universe is always expanding and it is Infinite, there has to be a God.

:(

there are infinite worlds out there, since there are infinite worlds, there has to be other people like us doing exactly the same thing. There also has to be people doing the opposite of what we are doing now. 'Star Wars' is also happening since the Universe is infinite. There has to be aliens, and every imaginable situation, thought, or 'what if' is happening now. This includes every movie, book, thought, opposite is going on.

Then if every idea or thought is going on, then the thought of god is going on somewhere and somewhere a 'god' like person exists

Also, when you say breed dogs, their puppy looses DNA information. Now look at that on a much bigger scale. Darwin says we started out from nothing. We just happened. Now lets say that we did come from monkeys, I want to say how. How could a Monkey Gain new DNA to "evolve" into humans? How did the monkeys evolve from X (what ever they say monkeys came from) Everything in the Universe is steadly declining, and it would be phsyically impossable for that to happen.

but the monkeys didn't gain anything... there were mutations that caused it to change (eventually) into something else.