Norton vs. MacAfee

228 members have voted

1. 1. Norton vs. MacAfee

• Norton
    • MacAfee

I know there are many other anti-virus programs but since the two have the majority of the market share I would love to know which of these two neowins trust more.

Also if there was a pole for all antivirus programs which programs do you think should be included?

Please don't turn this into a flaming thread :no: . Just helpful and insightful comments plz :yes: .

Edited by zjcrocke

McAfee's actual performace and detection rate is far superior to Norton's so I prefer McAfee over Norton, however Norton does have a better user interface, a few more tweakable options, and a better internet suite.

But comparing AV performance to AV performance where the look of the antivirus takes a back seat to it's actual performance McAfee owns Norton.

Wish you people had some kind of proof :rolleyes:

programs/companies I dislike: MacAfee, Symantec (yes I know), AOL, ZoneAlarm, Yahoo, and anyother spyware, annoying POS software out there. :crazy:

I use Symantec AV corp 9. I think it is more bloated than corp 7, but it runs well. I don't think it's a fair comparison between regular retail of one company to the corporate (enterprise) ed. of another.

Edited by Samoa

I was using Norton, but I noticed that I was getting alot of virus cuz things started going wrong and I kept getting things moved etc.

So, I installed Mcafee to see what it was like, But I noticed that It picked up 11 virus and Norton didnt.

So im sticking with Mcafee. My Computer also works faster cuz it doesnt use as much Resources as Norton Does. :)

I know there are many other anti-virus programs but since the two have the majority of the market share I would love to know which of these two neowins trust more.

Also if there was a pole for all antivirus programs which programs do you think should be included?

Please don't turn this into a flaming thread :no: . Just helpful and insightful comments plz :yes: .

They many be the biggest but I don't think there the best. But if I have to pick it would be nortons corp edition.

I found out that Norton doesnt pick up as many virus's as Mcafee does.

Cuz i had 11 rurnning on my comptuer and I did a Full Scan with Norton and it didnt pick them up. But Mcafee Did.

@Samoa

The proof is in ANY anti virus test out there McAfee consistently beats Norton and infact most other anti virus programs out thier in detection.

Now there are bad things about McAfee especially the consumer version 8 and 9 these being:

Built on Active X in such a manner that you can't secure internet explorer as tight as you could with Norton(which also uses IE for some of it's UI) but not near to the same extent as McAfee.

Has few scheduling options on what to do if a virus is found on a scheduled scan.

The Security Center is nothing but an advertisement for McAfee products you don't own.

The Script watcher has no way to "whitelist" a script so if you have a program that uses a script you'll get a warning everytime it runs or you have to disable the script stopper.

No logging functions whatsoever.

No password protection(not a biggie for most).

No exclusion option for directories.

However even with all of these faults it is still one of the best AV's as far as actually doing it's job goes and it easily whoops Norton. The way I see it there's two camps in the anti virus community.

a. Those who don't neccessarily care how good the product performs but care more about cosmetic gui, arbitrary amount of services used, and memory usage. Which is silly because x amount of services or y amount of memory doesn't necessarily mean it impacts performance and I wish these crazy performance seekers would start using a better benchmark other than task manager's amount of services or memory usage to determine what's a "system hog". Hell I'd like it much better if they used CPU time or CPU percentage at least that would be more accurate. This is why AVG is so freaking popular besides price which is the first reason.

b. Those that don't give a rats ass about GUI, x amount of services, or y amount of memory usage, and want the best detection and removal rates instead.

I fall into category b myself and tend to make my decision based on it's performance as an anti virus app not a silent thing that runs un the background doing nothing. Of course I do understand that some of camp a aren't as dumb as others and some AV's like Kaspersky do effect the startup times of programs that is something that needs to be taken into consideration.

I'm getting MacAfee Enterprise now. I'll give it a try. But I've not had anyproblems with Norton Corp. ;)

Enterprise 8 is the most recent right? :huh:

Thanks mAcOdIn (Y)

Argh I'm jealouse now, I wish I could get thier enterprise version it was a real good beta.

Fugly as hell but I liked it alot better than VS 8 which I'm using now.

Yeah 8.oi or whatever the hell they call it is the most recent the enterprise version is one number behind the consumer version.

Now if your managing AV's for a company I don't know which is better, McAfee has EPO but I don't know how Sumatec lets you manage thier corporate AV's, but as a desktop AV I would rather have McAfee any day.

I am using Mcafee VS Enterprise 8.0i and love it.

things seem more responsive..I'll give it time. But did an initial scan, found no viruses...NAV corp 9 has been doing a great job, just I think McAfee isn't as bloated and the access scans don't seem to hinder performance like NAV's does.

I picked Norton, but only because there are just 2 choices. Used Norton since Windows 95 days up until just recently. Have switched all computers over to Kaspersky AV Personal Pro now. Norton is easier to configure and use than McAfee. Both are resource hogs if you ask me. Never have liked the McAfee updater. Norton isn't as good as it once was.

Norton. Used McAfee and I didn't like it, I guess I've always used Norton so I'll stick with them.

The proof is in ANY anti virus test out there McAfee consistently beats Norton and infact most other anti virus programs out thier in detection

You got some sources to back that up chief? :shifty:

I go with Mcafee every time. Norton is always running background processes, and does slow machines down.

Also last time i used norton it let 2 different virus through onto network so i ditched it ....mcafee been on since and has been great.

max

things seem more responsive..I'll give it time. But did an initial scan, found no viruses...NAV corp 9 has been doing a great job, just I think McAfee isn't as bloated and the access scans don't seem to hinder performance like NAV's does.

:p I like Mcafee VSE 8.0i for its GUI ,"Access Protection"and"Buffer Overflow Protection".